Husker Defense Under Frost

URSS

Just now, NWHuskerfan said:

The Big Ten must have great defenses then, because they have 3 teams in top ten and currently 5 rated in the top 25.

Urban Meyer says hello 42-20 beat down of the Oregon Ducks in the 2015 national title game versus the fastest team in College Football and Marcus Mariotta.

Please....to say the Big Ten has weak offense and no speed is absurd.

The problem with football today is 7-7 competiton in High School. I'm dealing with it with my son who is a High School QB.   

Everyone wants the eye test fast paced high scoring offense.  Every kid loves playing the Nike 7-7 summer flag festival.

In the mean time they never grasp the physicality of the game. How to blow teams off the line of scrimage. How to pound the rock for 8 minute drives and put the game away.

You can have the eye test.  I'll take Big Ten Football any day of the week over the schools  that trade touchdowns each possesion.

I have never said that physicality doesn't have a place in football.  It obviously does.  I also agree that the top teams in the conference offer a great combination of speed and physicality.  Ohio State is probably the one program that does the best of combining speed and physicality.  But, the Big Ten defenses do benefit from playing some of the worst offenses in the country.  There are a good portion of the offenses in the Big Ten that play bad football on offense.

Earlier tonight, I listened to a podcast from Corncob with Charlie McBride on Huskermax.  McBride talked about his conversation with Parella.  He goes on to talk about his cosching methods.  Very enlightening about what went wrong in Lincoln and why Riley failed.  Highly recommend it to everyone.

• Plus1 1

Narduzzi's quarter coverage was nothing like Banker's....

Diaco's strain D was nothing like Wisky or Bama's.......

Just because a D sounds the same, doesn't mean it will be the same.  

I'll hold off on comments until I see the product on the field in conference play.  Frost is a very smart guy.  Wouldn't have been pursued by several P5 schools if he was not....He knows what great D looks like.  He went against it for years at NU.  First on the scout team and then as the starting QB.....I am sure that he will watch film, talk with TO, McBride, Moos etc.....as well as his own peers in the field and contacts to see what needs to be done....

Some have commented how can our D practice against speed and then stop the "bruising offenses of the B1G".  It's called tackling.  Playing assignment sound football.  Technique, attention to detail and mastering the mundane.....Something NU has seen in years.....Get great at the basics and our wins increase.  Reads, gap repsponsibility, coverage etc.....are basically the same....We just failed for years to master the basic fundamentals of sound football....

Unity, change in culture, out working and out training (S&C) can cover up a multitude of issues.  So does playing fast and hard....

• Plus1 1

Like another poster said...if it were me then yes I would’ve built the offense up first like UCF then start working on the defense.  They only had 2 years.  You gotta be great at at least one thing then the rest will continue to build and evolve.  I think he will do the same here. I also think it’s the best way to do it in the big 10, we might just be able to outscore a lot of our opponents even with their good defense. Fingers crossed!  (End run on paragraph) 

Here's what I know....

Coach had a defense with a starting DB - who had ONE FREAKING HAND.

Dude was all world....with ONE FREAKING HAND.  And they're talking about him going pro, too...

P.S. - his brother plays for the Legion of Boom....

Edited by alexhortdog95
  • Plus1 2

In the B10 you will need to be physical as well. Speed on defense is great, but when Wisconsin, Michigan, and Iowa go two TE sets and run it at you all game, you have to be prepared for that as well. 3-4 can work in the B10 - Wisconsin has proven this for years. Just can't be a prevent type 3-4 like Diaco ran. Don't be a Diaco 

• Plus1 2