Stanley Morgan Jr. Staying for Senior Season

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

IIRC, there are insurance policies that can be taken out for situations like this. Other NCAA football players that stayed have taken policies out like this in the past...though I do believe they are somewhat expensive. 

And no, the policy won't make up for a lost NFL contract. But it will allow the player to recoup *something* for trying to do the right thing, plus he'll have his degree to boot.

Forgot about the insurance, that is definitely one route. I think you have to look at a few things and go from there. What do you want to do after football? How close are you to a degree? What sort of options do you have to finish your degree away from campus? Can you improve your stock with another year? 

I will never fault a player for returning for his senior season, but staying only to get a degree just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me with all of the options out there today to finish your schooling. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Forgot about the insurance, that is definitely one route. I think you have to look at a few things and go from there. What do you want to do after football? How close are you to a degree? What sort of options do you have to finish your degree away from campus? Can you improve your stock with another year? 

I will never fault a player for returning for his senior season, but staying only to get a degree just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me with all of the options out there today to finish your schooling. 

I'm with you.  I am a big proponent of getting an education, but there are so many avenues for a guy to continue his education while playing in the NFL.  I don't begrudge players on their decision either way.  If he wants to go pro, good for him.  If he wants to return to NU, good for him.  

• Plus1 1

Imagine this scenario, 

Your child is a junior at Stanford. Top of their class. One day Bill Gates walks into the class and extends his hand to your child and says 'I want you to come work for me. I will pay you 3 million a year with a guaranteed 4 year contract, but you would have to start in 30 days. 

Would ANYONE in the world advise them to stay in school and finish their degree?  (not a chance)

You attend college to improve your economic income producing potential (a couple of exceptions) 

The only decision that a college player with professional potential needs to make is whether staying would dramatically increase the income potential after that year. "

Plenty of time to attend school and get the degree later. 

• Plus1 5

5 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Good news. Provides us with some top tier depth at WR. Glad Stan is back.

Now we just need to hope there is someone behind Stan, Tyjon, JD.

I thought Jaevon McQuitty could have had a nice year last year, if he didn't get injured.  Now, it's probably expecting a lot for him to be a stud in his first year after a serious knee injury, but I think he will definitely add some quality depth.  I like him more than Tyjon.

1 minute ago, Keith.Wassung said:

Imagine this scenario, 

Your child is a junior at Stanford. Top of their class. One day Bill Gates walks into the class and extends his hand to your child and says 'I want you to come work for me. I will pay you 3 million a year with a guaranteed 4 year contract, but you would have to start in 30 days. 

Would ANYONE in the world advise them to stay in school and finish their degree?  (not a chance)

You attend college to improve your economic income producing potential (a couple of exceptions) 

The only decision that a college player with professional potential needs to make is whether staying would dramatically increase the income potential after that year. "

Add in the fact that your child probably won't incur a brain injury which could impact his career like a football player can with his body.

I get that people are excited when players come back to spend another year at NU, but the reactions this time of year to news of a guy going pro or coming back to college can be so crazy.

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Did Stanley get some bad feedback about where he would be drafted? Is there any info on why he chose to stay? Most seemed convinced that he has gone. I am looking forward to see how Frost uses him next year. This could be fun.

That was the speculation that Sharp & Benning had this morning.  He must not have received a draft evaluation that was as high as he thought, or received some feedback that he can probably spend the next year improving.  I definitely think he needs to work on his consistency and not having as many drops next year.  Other than that, I think he's a great player.

30 minutes ago, Keith.Wassung said:

Imagine this scenario, 

I think any sane fan agrees with this. But he wasn't guaranteed to get drafted (or contract.) Better off getting his degree, and working on some of his deficiencies to improve his draft stock. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought Jaevon McQuitty could have had a nice year last year, if he didn't get injured.  Now, it's probably expecting a lot for him to be a stud in his first year after a serious knee injury, but I think he will definitely add some quality depth.  I like him more than Tyjon.

Yeah I just left him and Woodyard off because they are relatively unproven at Nebraska. Definitely reason to believe they can contribute.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Keith.Wassung said:

Imagine this scenario, 

This is kinda funny. A friend of a friend was working on his PhD at a good school in the 80s and had previously done some work at Microsoft which was a little unknown company at the time. He was asked by them to come and work full time there but his parents thought he should finish school first and he thought they were probably right, and for whatever reason the opportunity at Microsoft was gone after that.

Not saying I agree with your analogy though :P

Edited by Moiraine
7 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Good news. Provides us with some top tier depth at WR. Glad Stan is back.

Now we just need to hope there is someone behind Stan, Tyjon, JD.

Woodyard, and hopefully a healthy McQuitty, maybe McGriff?

I actually like Radfal at TE, I think a lot of people forgot about him.

Edited by Roll Skers
11 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Great news! Through all the turmoil of the last few years, this guy showed up and made plays.He was one of our best players.  I think he'll work on cleaning up the drops some, and continue to make clutch catches when we need them. He'll have a monster senior season. 

He is our best player far and away

• Plus1 1