Scott Frost: Look out for Nebraska in 2019

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You didn't really believe it...none of us did.  I can still remember driving down to Lincoln for the BYU game with this fake feeling with my friends...I can remember driving back with those friends...and basically just saying "Yeah...well what did you expect" 

A lot of NU fans thought Riley would do well, because they had no idea what kind of coach he really was. So many of them had to Google him when he was named head coach. More knowledgeable fans knew that he was ok at Oregon State, but he never won big. Further research into his time at Oregon State showed me that he could bring in good/great talent at times,

but he would have horrible, head-scratching losses. Yeah, he might pull off a big upset once every other year, but he was never a huge success at Oregon State. He was nice and won just enough to keep his job. By the end in Corvallis, his program was on the decline. Shoot, Eichorst saved Riley from living through the embarrassment of being fired by Oregon State. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A lot of NU fans thought Riley would do well, because they had no idea what kind of coach he really was. So many of them had to Google him when he was named head coach. More knowledgeable fans knew that he was ok at Oregon State, but he never won big. Further research into his time at Oregon State showed me that he could bring in good/great talent at times,

but he would have horrible, head-scratching losses. Yeah, he might pull off a big upset once every other year, but he was never a huge success at Oregon State. He was nice and won just enough to keep his job. By the end in Corvallis, his program was on the decline. Shoot, Eichorst saved Riley from living through the embarrassment of being fired by Oregon State. 

I will never forget when it was announced that he was hired...and posters said "I think the Husker Twitter Account was hacked"

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Comfortably Numb I think pretty much all of us are excited, it's just that some of us are more iffy on how long things will take, like how we'll look in year 1 vs year 3.

I think NU will show significant improvement by the end of this year, and will be in position to make a huge jump in year 2 or 3. I’m sure that’s what you are saying, but I expect the team to be much better this year than last year’s dumpster fire, especially in the last half of the season. 

Just now, teachercd said:

I will never forget when it was announced that he was hired...and posters said "I think the Husker Twitter Account was hacked"

One of my brothers texted me “Mike Riley??” and my immediate thought was “the Oregon State coach?”  I had thoughts that he might do ok, but as soon as NU snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory against BYU, I knew NU was getting Rileyed. 

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Toe said:

@Comfortably Numb I think pretty much all of us are excited, it's just that some of us are more iffy on how long things will take, like how we'll look in year 1 vs year 3.

Oh I agree and that’s a worthy debate. I’m sure we will be immensely better in year 3 than year 1. But I fully expect we will begin to experience the benefits of the culture change and work ethic immediately, game 1, this year. Knowing where we’ve been as a program these last 15 years, what we are going to witness this year is going to be amazing and will be almost as good in my book as winning a natty.  Sure we may only win 7 or 8 or 9 but just to see some sensible coaching and effort and heart.....I am excite.

It would be hard for them to NOT be much better than what we saw last year. :bang But with the jump in schedule difficulty this year, we could have a much better team and still not have a real stellar win/loss record. We're still only two years removed from a 9-3 season, though, and I don't think that's out of the question for this year.

• Plus1 1

I dont care if it takes 1 or 3 years, if anyone is going to fix this it is Frost. Cally we all had questions, Bo was the hot up and coming coordinator with no HC experience and Riley was a 500 coach. I can say I wasnt this sold on a HC since TO. (Not saying he will be the next TO) but he has a confidence about him that is infectious 

• Plus1 2

One hint I'm looking for that things are improved are blowouts against bad teams. We used to say the first few games didn't mean anything, even if we scored a lot of points, because the competition sucked. But lately they have meant something, due to how tight those games have been. I want Nebraska to start beating the weaker teams by 3+ touchdowns again.

• Plus1 6
5 minutes ago, Toe said:

It would be hard for them to NOT be much better than what we saw last year. :bang But with the jump in schedule difficulty this year, we could have a much better team and still not have a real stellar win/loss record. We're still only two years removed from a 9-3 season, though, and I don't think that's out of the question for this year.

To be honest, I could care less about the number of wins for this year. I want to see us compete on the field. If we play up to our potential and play with heart and do things the Nebraska way we will make a bowl game. Any win/loss or the number of wins isn't super important-again as long as we make a bowl game and if we do what is listed above we will make one. My expectations are tempered because this is the beginning of a really fun ride that we are all about to take in watching Nebraska be Nebraska again. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

To be honest, I could care less about the number of wins for this year. I want to see us compete on the field. If we play up to our potential and play with heart and do things the Nebraska way we will make a bowl game. Any win/loss or the number of wins isn't super important-again as long as we make a bowl game and if we do what is listed above we will make one. My expectations are tempered because this is the beginning of a really fun ride that we are all about to take in watching Nebraska be Nebraska again. 

I told a friend that i am not even paying attention to the W/L record this year.  I just want to see if it looks like they're playing tackle football and giving effort on every play.  I don't think that is too much to ask/expect.

24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

One hint I'm looking for that things are improved are blowouts against bad teams. We used to say the first few games didn't mean anything, even if we scored a lot of points, because the competition sucked. But lately they have meant something, due to how tight those games have been. I want Nebraska to start beating the weaker teams by 3+ touchdowns again.

The first hint I'm looking for is whether the team quits in big games.  I think the first hurdle is not going into a game against OSU believing it will be a loss and giving less than full effort.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is something we should see sooner rather than later simply because this offense will be explosive with so many playmakers at its disposal. Usually what happens between those early games and the better conference games is the offensive line gets exposed. This offensive install is considerably ahead of schedule and I have a great deal of confidence in whomever the QB may be.

5 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Sure we may only win 7 or 8 or 9 but just to see some sensible coaching and effort and heart.....I am excite.

I've never been more excited for a Nebraska football season than this one, and that includes seasons where you felt going in that you may win a national title. Some of those seasons were more nervous because you knew what a single loss would mean. This year is just pure excitement. It's like going fishing for the first time, getting that first bite. You don't know what's on the end of your line, but you can't wait to see it. 

• Plus1 5