Scott Frost: Look out for Nebraska in 2019

11 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

Right.   I don't think that number is that high considering the changes on coaching scheme and style.  The 51 number is more a reflection of roster expansion and not of him purging a talentless roster.

For being on campus a total of 8 months, the 26 scholarship number is a great start. Especially considering there are JUCO’s and transfers and talented freshmen who can play right away.  As I stated in another post, if Frost adds another class of 25 kids, well over 50% of 2019 scholarship players will be Frost recruits. That’s a good job of turning over the roster, unless you have unrealistic expectations of roster turnover. 

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

There's talent and there's coaching. The rankings aren't perfect, but they're not so wrong as to get it wrong every damn year. Wisconsin and Iowa have out-coached/out-developed us, but they don't have more raw talent than us.

I think we are basically arguing the same point, but schematics...

I think recruiting rankings are a good indicator, but pretty much worthless after their Fresh or Soph seasons. I think Wisconsin and Iowa have produced better talent than NU, even if they aren't as athletic as us. I think NU is more athletic, and we probably have more potential in regards to development of talent, but I disagree that we are more talented right now (or over the past 5 years anyway)...... I think Iowa and Wisconsin have clearly shown to have better passing-skill, ball skills, better foot work, better blocking, shed blocking ect.

I don't think they are light years ahead of us, and I think we'll see drastic improvement this season already, but if we broke it down position by position of which team has a more NFL ready talent at each position group, then I don't think NU has an argument other than WR and maybe RB.

11 hours ago, runningblind said:

I completely disagree that Iowa and Wisconsin have  better talent.  They have simply out worked and out smarted us year in and year out. They wanted it, we didn't.  Michigan, Penn State. Ohio State and possibly Michigan State out class us right now, that is it.

Things are changing right before your eyes. It is ok to sip some koolaid...try it, you'll like it...

orig

:koolaid2::cheers

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

You make good points about IA and UW, but I'm curious.  Which teams on the 2018 schedule, other than OSU and UM, do you think have more pure "talent" than us?  Not saying your wrong or anything, I just personally feel that outside of these two (ohio & the team up north), we are at worst EQUAL talent wise with every other team on the schedule.  In fact I consider MSUcks and Wiskyd#ck far better in the player development and coaching categories over the last several years than NU, but not more talented.  Iowa, NW, Minny, Purdue, IL, non-con ALL less talent.  Of those, Iowa and NW until now, have had better coaching and development/culture, but certainly not better talent.  Just my opinion.  

I would say OSU, PSU, UM, WI, MSU, Iowa, and NW are all better or equal to us in regards to skill and talent... I think OSU, PSU, and UM are probably the only teams in the conference with more athleticism and potential.

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One of my brothers texted me “Mike Riley??” and my immediate thought was “the Oregon State coach?”  I had thoughts that he might do ok, but as soon as NU snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory against BYU, I knew NU was getting Rileyed. 

I am not going to defend MR at all, he did a piss poor job at Nebraska.  He did some very good things at Oregon St.  He had started to lose his mojo at OSU and thought a move to a traditional power would help him get it back, it didn't.  I will also put about 30% of the blame on our ex AD SE.  He thought he could micro manage everything.  I think a lot of bad decisions were made at the top that MR had to live with. Number 1 on the list was the hiring of Diaco. 

Now as far as talent goes, I think our talent has been woefully underdeveloped.  That is about to change, but it will take time.  Raw talent wise NU is probably only behind OSU, Michigan, and PSU but that can be overcome.  Iowa and Wisconsin really maximize their talent with development.  They also recruit pretty well to their style of play vs just raw talent.  Nebraska even in the glory days never had as much raw talent as Miami, FSU and Florida it was just better developed and they recruited to their style of play very well.   

I really believe that Frost will get things going at Nebraska and we will get back to being talked about on a yearly basis.  It is just going to take a little time.  Things will be better this year, but don't expect 10 wins.  

Great article showing that others outside of NU also believe Frost will bring us back.  We are just drinking:koolaid2:.  It is nice to see that others see what we see and that they too think college football is better if NU is back to being what NU had been - an elite program.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/FS1-analyst-Joel-Klatt-excited-about-Scott-Frost-at-Nebraska-120042853/

“I think everything rises and falls on leadership,” Klatt said. “The leaders instill the confidence as everyone goes about their day. That’s just how group dynamics work. All the great teams out there have a head coach that believes in himself, understands himself and understands the process and doesn’t waiver. That’s certainly Scott. He comes across as one of the more confident guys, and yet it’s not in a c$%ky way.”

One of the things Klatt wanted to stress is that Nebraska isn’t far from returning to the college football upper crest, but it wouldn’t happen overnight. Still, Klatt feels confident the Huskers have a difference maker in Frost, and that could help make up the gap sooner than later.

The answer lies within Frost’s background and his brush with the program his blue print heavily incorporates.

“I do think there’s a path for Nebraska,” he said. “It might be a more narrow path, which is fine, but again this is why Scott is so uniquely suited for Nebraska. Whether he had played there or not, his coaching background and blueprint, stems largely from what happened at Oregon. The Ducks were a perennial football power for a better part of a decade, and they did that without a natural, local recruiting base. That’s very rare in college football. Because of that Nebraska is going to employ that model. Can they get back to the top? Yes. Is it more narrow? Absolutely. Is he the perfect fit for that model? Absolutely.”

• Plus1 1

From Mandel's Mailbag at The Athletic **subscription required**

The question was who could be the next team to break into the playoffs and actually win it. He talks about Wisconsin being the obvious answer since they've been consistently good for 25 years but then he drops this in:

But I’ve also stated many times why I don’t think an “overachiever” program like Wisconsin can get into the Playoff and win two consecutive games against teams that recruit primarily four- and five-stars. Similarly, Scott Frost has successfully sold me on Nebraska’s inevitable return to prominence, but I have the same questions whether that geographically isolated program can recruit at a national championship level in the current landscape.

https://theathletic.com/444785/2018/07/25/mandels-mailbag-who-needs-to-win-their-head-to-head-opener-more-jim-harbaugh-or-brian-kelly/?source=dailyemail

We're not the only ones drinking the :koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I dont care if it takes 1 or 3 years, if anyone is going to fix this it is Frost. Cally we all had questions, Bo was the hot up and coming coordinator with no HC experience and Riley was a 500 coach. I can say I wasnt this sold on a HC since TO. (Not saying he will be the next TO) but he has a confidence about him that is infectious 

Might be bold ... but I am "not saying he will be the next TO" either.  I actually think HE IS THE NEXT LEGEND IN :bigredn: football history.  This is why I will be patient.

2 hours ago, Oade said:

I think recruiting rankings are a good indicator, but pretty much worthless after their Fresh or Soph seasons. I think Wisconsin and Iowa have produced better talent than NU, even if they aren't as athletic as us. I think NU is more athletic, and we probably have more potential in regards to development of talent, but I disagree that we are more talented right now (or over the past 5 years anyway)...... I think Iowa and Wisconsin have clearly shown to have better passing-skill, ball skills, better foot work, better blocking, shed blocking ect.

I don't think they are light years ahead of us, and I think we'll see drastic improvement this season already, but if we broke it down position by position of which team has a more NFL ready talent at each position group, then I don't think NU has an argument other than WR and maybe RB.

I think there are two different ways people view talent and it's very easy to confuse or misinterpret intent.

I think when people say things like 'Nebraska is more talented than Wisconsin' they're mostly referencing Nebraska's proven ability to out-recruit Wisconsin in the rankings. Talent, by definition, is a natural aptitude for a skill and Nebraska has done a better job of recruiting. By this definition, Nebraska has better talent.

But, things get obfuscated when people start looking at on-the-field results, NFL draftees and position-by-position performance, and correlate that with talent. Somebody might now say 'Wisconsin is more talented' because they've had more recent success than Nebraska in a number of ways.

A more appropriate phrasing, in my opinion, is to say Wisconsin is more skilled than Nebraska. It's more accurate and less confusing since talent can be misused and misinterpreted in different ways.

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I am not going to defend MR at all, he did a piss poor job at Nebraska.  He did some very good things at Oregon St.  He had started to lose his mojo at OSU and thought a move to a traditional power would help him get it back, it didn't.  I will also put about 30% of the blame on our ex AD SE.  He thought he could micro manage everything.  I think a lot of bad decisions were made at the top that MR had to live with. Number 1 on the list was the hiring of Diaco. 

Now as far as talent goes, I think our talent has been woefully underdeveloped.  That is about to change, but it will take time.  Raw talent wise NU is probably only behind OSU, Michigan, and PSU but that can be overcome.  Iowa and Wisconsin really maximize their talent with development.  They also recruit pretty well to their style of play vs just raw talent.  Nebraska even in the glory days never had as much raw talent as Miami, FSU and Florida it was just better developed and they recruited to their style of play very well.   

I really believe that Frost will get things going at Nebraska and we will get back to being talked about on a yearly basis.  It is just going to take a little time.  Things will be better this year, but don't expect 10 wins.  

Of course Eichorst deserves a lot of blame.  He thought "anyone" could win 9 games at NU, so that's why he went out and hired the exact opposite personality compared to Bo.  Then when that "nice guy" had a terrible first year, followed by a 2nd year with 3 blowout losses, Eichorst blamed the talent on the roster, and said Riley deserves more time to be judged.  I agree the talent wasn't deep in Riley's first 2 years, but Riley did little to develop that talent.  Then when Riley had "his guys" in 2017, the team fell on it's face.  The program was a complete mess from the AD to the Head Coach to the Assistant Coaches to the players.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, broganreynik said:

I can only think of one time since Solich that I was all-in on our success: 2010 after Washington/KSU/Missouri.

While I’ve been confident plenty of times, there’s always been a “if this can happen, then we’ll be great” aspect to it.

I agree with the bolded and will add the second half of the 09' season.  It would have been very interesting to see what would have happened had that one second not been put back on the clock against Texas.  It might have completely changed our trajectory. 

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, teachercd said:

Stevie Wonder could see that BC was horrible...

You can bitch about Bo either way...good/bad

Everyone knew Riley was the worst hire possible...people just tricked themselves into thinking it wasn't

I was excited about Bo, but very dissapointed that Cally's offensive staff was retained. For Cally and MR, when they were hired it was like getting underwear for Christmas. IMO the Frost hire is even better than Solich. Frost has proven he can turn around a program, go undefeated and beat top teams. With Solich we were banking on TO's opinion.

Just now, MichiganDad3 said:

I was excited about Bo, but very dissapointed that Cally's offensive staff was retained. For Cally and MR, when they were hired it was like getting underwear for Christmas. IMO the Frost hire is even better than Solich. Frost has proven he can turn around a program, go undefeated and beat top teams. With Solich we were banking on TO's opinion.

Um, the two bolded parts have an awful lot in common. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Oh I agree and that’s a worthy debate. I’m sure we will be immensely better in year 3 than year 1. But I fully expect we will begin to experience the benefits of the culture change and work ethic immediately, game 1, this year. Knowing where we’ve been as a program these last 15 years, what we are going to witness this year is going to be amazing and will be almost as good in my book as winning a natty.  Sure we may only win 7 or 8 or 9 but just to see some sensible coaching and effort and heart.....I am excite.

This is where I'm at as well.  Another thing I would like to see is the players looking like they want to be out there and having fun.  I think football stopped being fun for a lot of them during the Riley regime.  No more going through the tunnel walk before tOSU with their heads hung like they are going to a funeral.  The last game I really recall them looking like they were having fun was the Oregon game at home - that game was awesome to be at.  UCF on the other hand, looked like they were having fun in just about every game I watched, both on the field and on the sideline.

• Plus1 1