QB options

Not sure there's a thread about this already, what are options for 3rd string now that Gebbia is gone? 

Option 1 right now is Matt Masker, true freshman walkon.  

Are there any other internal options out there?  Any kids that were QB's in high school that have switched positions?  

The only one I know of is Wyatt Mazour.  

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, The_Big_Dowski said:

Not sure there's a thread about this already, what are options for 3rd string now that Gebbia is gone? 

Option 1 right now is Matt Masker, true freshman walkon.  

Are there any other internal options out there?  Any kids that were QB's in high school that have switched positions?  

The only one I know of is Wyatt Mazour.  

I think they just go with 3 unless one gets hurt, then you might move a guy.

11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

From his time at Oregon and UCF does anyone recall any issues with the starting QB getting injured? Milton was a little guy too. So I tend to think this system does not put QB's in situations to take a beating and get hurt.

A lot of the passing game involves quick passes to receivers/backs in space and RPO's, so I would say the passing game is much different than dropping 7 yards back and taking time to find a receiver.  So I think the chances of Martinez getting hurt in the pocket or being blindsided by a hit are less.  However, with Martinez running, I am sure there will be opportunities for him to take hits downfield.  I am sure the coaches will tell him to run out of bounds in certain situations to avoid taking a hit.

3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Frost told Cam Taylor when recruiting him that he could play QB too if he wanted to try that first.... So I'm guessing that is an option behind door #4.

It seems pretty ify to take a CB whose relatively new to the team that you really needed in a thin position, and draft him over to be QB with a dozen practices.   Not gonna work.

At a minimum you need an offensive player who atleast is very familiar with most of the offense.  Frankly it will be nothing short of a disaster for the season if we lose AM and Bunch.

The biggest risk, at this point, is the possibility of a cheap shot taken on AM at any time.   He goes out and we're at risk of going 0-12 this fall.   

4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

From his time at Oregon and UCF does anyone recall any issues with the starting QB getting injured? Milton was a little guy too. So I tend to think this system does not put QB's in situations to take a beating and get hurt.

The UCF-Michgan two years ago saw the starting QB go down and be replaced. Neither was Milton.

I've mentioned Cam Taylor in another thread but in thinking about it would almost have to be someone who is currently on offense IMHO. To expect someone from the D to come in and be able to function at even a rudimentary level in this offense is insane. Hopefully we don't need a 4th stringer but if we do I wonder if any offensive players have ever played QB?