We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

53 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Agree.

The Team was is the same situation with Riley.  Who was going to be behind Gebbia if Riley doesn’t get canned? Oh look, it’s Bunch!

Did Riley even have a QB commit for 2018 class?  OL, QB and CB have no depth on the roster.

edit: forgot about POB.  Oh well, doesn’t change much.  We had one of the worst programs in history last year. tOSU didn’t even punt against us.  Thanks Mike, your legacy continues.

It seems apparent that had Riley stayed, either POB or Gebbia would have quit once the other was named the startrer this fall as well.   "There can be only one!".   

This 'me' mentality is like a cancer to a team which likely impacts the attitudes and focus of every position on the squad.   Not sure what the coaches can or should do but that's why they get the big bucks.   They are supposed to know how to massage and encourage and 'weed out' the ones that can't dedicate themselves and put the interests of the team ahead of their own personal, selfish interests.   A careful evaluation of what the student-athlete is truly focused on is vital.  When a player indicates his purpose and goal is to make it to the NFL rather than get a degree and plan his future career, etc, then the coach needs to take due note thereof.   Reliance on team members whose personal goals are more inportant than helping the team will inevitably lead to these continuing problems.    

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know it was an open competition, and both Gebbia and Bunch had their advocates among Husker fans, but didn't it always seem like Adrian Martinez was Scott Frost's handpicked guy?

I'm betting Mr. Gebbia felt that way. 

That's possible.

But from what the coaches said, Gebbia took it really well when he was told Martinez won the job and said he was going to keep working hard.  Assuming that's true, he either has to be a heck of an actor or that really wasn't his attitude until someone else got in his ear.

I'm curious what role the public announcement played.  The coaches basically said it was a tie so they went with the better runner/athlete (I'm paraphrasing), which surprised me.    Maybe it was the truth and maybe it was something they thought would make the news easier to take, but either way I thought it was a young coach mistake and bad sports psychology. 

The rationale they offered was literally the whole "you can't coach speed" cliche.   No time in the gym or at practice or in the film room was going to make him the better runner and once he had time to think about it, I am not surprised he transferred out.  Any real competitor would.

• Plus1 1

Wow.  I'm not trying to pile on the guy but the people who have been trying to say "Bunch had an OK game" really don't know what was actually going on.

3rd quarter, 4:44 to play, we run a zone read look.  I have no idea what the play was supposed to be but there is a HUGE hole right where Washington was headed.  Instead Bunch pulls the ball and pass sets like he's looking for a receiver.  But the receivers are all blocking.  Bunch seems to finally figure out his mistake and pulls the ball down.  He starts to run left where there is a little bit of room but then seems to realize that the play was supposed to go to the right where Washington was headed so he cuts back that direction.  There is so much of a hole there that he is still able to get three yards but I don't see anyone who was going to tackle Washington if he gives it to him initially. 

S3fDvxo.png

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Wow.  I'm not trying to pile on the guy but the people who have been trying to say "Bunch had an OK game" really don't know what was actually going on.

3rd quarter, 4:44 to play, we run a zone read look.  I have no idea what the play was supposed to be but there is a HUGE hole right where Washington was headed.  Instead Bunch pulls the ball and pass sets like he's looking for a receiver.  But the receivers are all blocking.  Bunch seems to finally figure out his mistake and pulls the ball down.  He starts to run left where there is a little bit of room but then seems to realize that the play was supposed to go to the right where Washington was headed so he cuts back that direction.  There is so much of a hole there that he is still able to get three yards but I don't see anyone who was going to tackle Washington if he gives it to him initially. 

S3fDvxo.png

Yeah, Washington just had to beat that safety and he's in the station

13 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

We should recruit four 4 star quarrerbacks like Ohio State and choose the best one to play.

We should always have a 4 Star or better standing around ready to go in.

weird, had they not had a last minute transfer, they would have had just that.

as to the first part, that will take more than one recruiting class. hell he already has qb recruits in 2 of the next three classes and i wouldnt be surprised to see a commit to the third class.

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

S3fDvxo.png

Played decent should be revised to threw the ball decently well because Frost scheduled him some easy completions. He was decidedly awful running zone read. Plays like that make it hard to say the line played terrible. It could have looked better if we execute plays correctly.

• Plus1 2