What Did We Learn? Purdue

Waldo

I learned that our defense is short the kind of players it takes to compete in this league and I doubt more effort will fix that. I was blaming the offense for putting them in a bad spot, but I'm realizing that everywhere is a bad spot. I don't know if a light will turn on and suddenly we'll have a couple more Mo Barry's on the other side or if a DT will turn into Suh, if not then it's wait until next year. I know Bootle is fighting out there and one of the bright spots on D, but there were a couple times I thought he could've turned around and intercepted the ball......it'll take game changing stuff like that. I think they'll have to take more chances and not let the qb have all day to look around.

4 hours ago, TheSker said:

The second half was quite magical for Jackson to experience his Teachable Moment.

His replacement gave a quote about where accountability has to come from.

The light bulb is coming in for some of the players.  And Frost is getting a better idea of who it's not going to come on for, which will have to be addressed on the recruiting trail efforts.

Every week the average fan sees a team wide lack of discipline and fire even against beatable teams. But the savvy fan sees Scott Frost standing astride Memorial Stadium like a demigod, about to banish the Minions of Riley to an unholy netherworld. Magic indeed!

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Every week the average fan sees a team wide lack of discipline and fire even against beatable teams. But the savvy fan sees Scott Frost standing astride Memorial Stadium like a demigod, about to banish the Minions of Riley to an unholy netherworld. Magic indeed!

True.

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Most top athletes want to be pushed and held accountable.  When Riley let the kids do whatever they wanted, it created a terrible atmosphere. So when Frost tries to turn around that culture, push the kids and hold them accountable, some kids will respond positivitely, some kids will respond negatively. That’s the schism we seem to be experiencing right now. 

18-23 year olds are no longer "kids" they're young men.  Don't confuse a coach allowing young men the freedom to start acting like grown men as letting them "do whatever they want".  

At some point you stop baby sitting boys and micro managing them.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think that should happen long before 18 and they reach college.

• Plus1 1

Reading the board after the Purdue loss I learned losses this year are due to our subpar talent whereas last year losses were due to all the great talent on our roster not being developed by the coaches. 

I also learned with the "right" coach on the sideline, losing to Purdue at home creates less uproar than beating them in dramatic fashion on the road. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

18-23 year olds are no longer "kids" they're young men.  Don't confuse a coach allowing young men the freedom to start acting like grown men as letting them "do whatever they want".  

At some point you stop baby sitting boys and micro managing them.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think that should happen long before 18 and they reach college.

Something I did when I coached (At a HS that reminds me of the state this team is in now) would ask the players how many of them thought they were men.  Just about all of them would raise their hands except maybe a few freshman.  I would then tell them they are going to be treated like men.  I then explained most of them would probably take their last snap of football in HS and then enter the workforce.  In the workforce there are consequences for being late or not performing.  Playing time is "pay".  If you are late to practice or meetings i dock your pay.  If you aren't performing you will be docked or given a performance improvement plan.  If you do too many of any one thing you will be fired.  I had kids that were late to practice because they couldn't stop talking long enough in the locker room to get their pads on in a timely manner.  When they sat out a quarter for however many times they were late they stopped being late.  Nobody likes to work and not get paid.   Minor things can turn people around real quick

• Fire 3