Listening to the post games

Husker03

It’s become more clear to me than ever that Frost has basically been tasked as the new CEO of a failing company with a cut rate work force full of horrible employee attitudes. That would be a difficult task, but to make it worse there are 85 workers in the company and you are not allowed to hire any additional employees. Also, you are not allowed to fire any of them and they are welcome to stay until early retirement kicks in. Finally, they average 21 years of age and many have the maturity and judgement to match AND many of them have spent their entire careers lauded as the best in thier departments. As somebody that runs a small business, it seems to me that maybe instead of judging him too harshly a month into the season, it may be more appropriate to consider him for sainthood for having the patience to keep plugging along. Decks are stacked pretty deep at the moment. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 3

I agree with this statement completely.  Bad coaching was only partly responsible for last years 4-8 record.  We haven't developed talent once it has gotten onto this campus for several years now.    I think its foolish to think that in 4 games and just a few months of practice, we have developed them into top of the class elite players already.

Frost knows what he is doing, but having to do this with less than ideal participants.  I don't like putting down these young men who came here.  I think all the players on this roster came here to win, but they also came here to play for other coaches and systems.  When Gebbia left, it left a huge void to fill.  It also caused a staff to rethink what they were doing with a true freshmen once he was hurt a little bit.  We saw glimpses today of what is ahead for this QB.  

We need an O-line that can protect, our D-line is not getting any push, and frankly our secondary is in position, but not making the plays.

Folks this is all talented related, and that can't get fixed in 4 games, or maybe even 12 this season.  This is fixed with recruiting and coaching.  I feel for this team and staff right now because this season started off on the wrong foot and hasn't gotten any better.  We will never know now what might have been, but if we could have just played that first game, and more than likely gotten a W, this season, its players, might have had a whole different outlook than what its become.  

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

I am tired of what ifs.  Play the hand you are dealt. 

Yeah I am tired of people thinking that this is still 1990's Nebraska and we have a bench full of elite players sitting on it. Everyone wants to win and win now.  Its not going to happen right now.  For the second game in a row, the other teams skilled players were bigger and faster than ours.  The offensive and defensive lines are better on the other teams.  Coaches can coach all they want too, but you have to be able to coach some players who want it as bad as you want it for them.  Face the fact that we don't have the talent on this roster yet.  I am confident that in the future we will see talent like what made us great in our heyday.  Right now, we have a lot of average joes on this roster and they are not fulfilling what is needed.

• Fire 2

These are mostly young and inexperienced players. They need intense coaching but I think they need more full speed contact scrimmaging.  They take bad angles, over run the ball carrier, commit far too many shoot your foot penalties, etc.  the full speed contact in games has them at 0-4. I think their morale and motivation are suffering.  I think Martinez has great potential but he is a liability also.  He gets flustered under pressure and fails to throw the ball away taking losses and he throws some bad balls under pressure- showing his inexperience.  

I also think some play calling is made for success for the inexperienced rather than plays needed for scores.  

I hate are waiting for a rebuild year after all of the seasons since Solich and Peking.  But I fear we may only win 1 or 2 games this year.  My biggest fear is that it will be harder to recruit great talent with reputation over the past three years.

PS. I have never liked the three man front defense.  

6 minutes ago, URSS said:

These are mostly young and inexperienced players. They need intense coaching but I think they need more full speed contact scrimmaging.  They take bad angles, over run the ball carrier, commit far too many shoot your foot penalties, etc.  the full speed contact in games has them at 0-4. I think their morale and motivation are suffering.  I think Martinez has great potential but he is a liability also.  He gets flustered under pressure and fails to throw the ball away taking losses and he throws some bad balls under pressure- showing his inexperience.  

I also think some play calling is made for success for the inexperienced rather than plays needed for scores.  

I hate are waiting for a rebuild year after all of the seasons since Solich and Peking.  But I fear we may only win 1 or 2 games this year.  My biggest fear is that it will be harder to recruit great talent with reputation over the past three years.

PS. I have never liked the three man front defense.  

Kids see what he did at UCF and Oregon.  All they know about NU is we stink and that the "it guy" is the new HC.  Most are thinking they have a pretty good opportunity to start immediately.  Looking at our guys, what percentage would be a lock to start again next year?  I think being so bad might actually help us.  

I think it truly requires next level talent to really work. Or some elite pass rushers (LB, extra DE etc).  

55 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think the depth is so bad at several positions he’s playing people he doesn’t want to (OL/CB).  Special teams in general.

Id be real interested to see the amount of PT 21 gets going forward.  The started a walk on receiver that hasn’t been on the depth chart all year.  Going to start seeing changes.

CB, yes.  OLB and ST?  I don't think so.

Other than not being able to play Ferguson today due to injury.