Where We Speak Less-than-Fondly of Former Coaches

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Can you give examples of "atrocious late game play calling?" That's fascinating. 

Can you also explain what "not protecting your offensive line" means?

Absolutely I can, the last 8 minutes of the Colorado game.  Not using the the play clock to run down the game clock, and don’t go into we run a fast paced offense because we routinely run the play clock down waiting for a sideline play adjustment.  Using Bell to try to secure first downs on short yardage plays.  Coming out of a break and throwing the ball the ball when there was no need to in the situation and it resulted in a interception.  Purdue game, Oz running wild in the second half, Nebraska gets ball back with chance to get within one score with 9 minutes left. Pass, pass, pass, punt.  I will tell you right now that strategy of the actual game of football is at a monstrous higher level then it was at UCF.  He will learn, but it isn’t just running rough shot offense in the Big10, the coaches and players are to good.  And to be honest he has been outcoached in the actual strategy of football so far.  Not even to mention going for it on 4th down against Wisconsin when there was absolutely no need to do so, but that was early in the game.

Protecting your offensive line.  When your defense goes and holds a good team to two field goals, you might think of trying to run the ball instead of throwing all of the downs to give the ball back immediately, and put the opponent in good field position. We all agree the offensive line is a weak point correct, they had penalties that took away positive plays correct?  Do you ever think that the play was successful because of the penalty?  So why are you going to put the weakest part of your team under immediate passing duress?  The run, sweep, running opinion, can mitigate some of this and get those guys involved in the game. They played about 7 snaps in the first quarter because of this, not protected, multiple penalties.  You should be trying to protect them at the beginning of the game, because low and behold, guess what?!  They got better as the game went on and they got more snaps, unfortunately the game was over at half time.

30 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Absolutely I can, the last 8 minutes of the Colorado game.  Not using the the play clock to run down the game clock, and don’t go into we run a fast paced offense because we routinely run the play clock down waiting for a sideline play adjustment.  Using Bell to try to secure first downs on short yardage plays.  Coming out of a break and throwing the ball the ball when there was no need to in the situation and it resulted in a interception.  Purdue game, Oz running wild in the second half, Nebraska gets ball back with chance to get within one score with 9 minutes left. Pass, pass, pass, punt.  I will tell you right now that strategy of the actual game of football is at a monstrous higher level then it was at UCF.  He will learn, but it isn’t just running rough shot offense in the Big10, the coaches and players are to good.  And to be honest he has been outcoached in the actual strategy of football so far.  Not even to mention going for it on 4th down against Wisconsin when there was absolutely no need to do so, but that was early in the game.

Protecting your offensive line.  When your defense goes and holds a good team to two field goals, you might think of trying to run the ball instead of throwing all of the downs to give the ball back immediately, and put the opponent in good field position. We all agree the offensive line is a weak point correct, they had penalties that took away positive plays correct?  Do you ever think that the play was successful because of the penalty?  So why are you going to put the weakest part of your team under immediate passing duress?  The run, sweep, running opinion, can mitigate some of this and get those guys involved in the game. They played about 7 snaps in the first quarter because of this, not protected, multiple penalties.  You should be trying to protect them at the beginning of the game, because low and behold, guess what?!  They got better as the game went on and they got more snaps, unfortunately the game was over at half time.

I actually agree with a lot of your observations about some of the play calling decisions, KingBlank. The main difference though is that criticizing play calling is easy in hindsight. And also I probably wouldn't describe those things you listed as "atrocious." The only time I really would accuse what a play caller would do at the college level as "atrocious" is when they call the same play over and over again with failed results. Which is almost how I'd describe what Frost did for roughly three quarters against Troy; he continuously ran inside zone run plays into a brick wall of stacked defenders inside the box...but that's a different story.

I do think though that you're way, way off with your assessment of the way Frost went about the Wisconsin game plan. We had no chance of just running basic, safe running plays against their front seven. He called quick passes to the edges in the first quarter which actually take all of the pressure off your offensive line, because you're releasing the ball immediately to the edge with those pass plays; the line doesn't really have to pass block much at all. So I think that assessment is really off there, honestly.

• Plus1 1

Riley is responsible for some of this current teams woes.  He recruited some of this less than spectacular talent to this campus.  Realistically other than some poor recruiting/building talent up, its hard to blame him for this 0-5 start.  

In other news though, I do think that his former staff mates here are making things tougher for our new staff with having contact with our current players.  Sounds like the majority of our players leaving want to go to Oregon St?  Bell was given a no sign clause to attend the Beavers...............muddling in a program that they already partly trashed.....no good.

Just now, Nebhawk said:

Riley is responsible for some of this current teams woes.  He recruited some of this less than spectacular talent to this campus.  Realistically other than some poor recruiting/building talent up, its hard to blame him for this 0-5 start.  

In other news though, I do think that his former staff mates here are making things tougher for our new staff with having contact with our current players.  Sounds like the majority of our players leaving want to go to Oregon St?  Bell was given a no sign clause to attend the Beavers...............muddling in a program that they already partly trashed.....no good.

Every recruiting class by every coach has hits and misses.  Bell was a SF recruit.  Scholarship misses are one reason we love the walk on program so much.  There are several very good players MR recruited here as well as some less productive ones, but before blaming him or the player for so called "misses" it's important to first acknowledge those players were not recruited to the system they find themselves in. 

Outside of Trent Brey there are no former MR staff members coaching at OrSt.  Langsdorf was with the Ducks last I heard and Diaco at OU.  I'd be very interested in seeing any evidence former staff has proactively reached out to N players as opposed to the other way around.  I don't find it at all surprising players recruited by MR or their parents would seek out his advice if they were considering transferring.  In the case of Gebbia, Or.St's current HC had recruited him hard while he was OC at Washington.  My guess would be that had a lot to do with him ending up at OrSt which would have zero to do with former N coaches.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I actually agree with a lot of your observations about some of the play calling decisions, KingBlank. The main difference though is that criticizing play calling is easy in hindsight. And also I probably wouldn't describe those things you listed as "atrocious." The only time I really would accuse what a play caller would do at the college level as "atrocious" is when they call the same play over and over again with failed results. Which is almost how I'd describe what Frost did for roughly three quarters against Troy; he continuously ran inside zone run plays into a brick wall of stacked defenders inside the box...but that's a different story.

I do think though that you're way, way off with your assessment of the way Frost went about the Wisconsin game plan. We had no chance of just running basic, safe running plays against their front seven. He called quick passes to the edges in the first quarter which actually take all of the pressure off your offensive line, because you're releasing the ball immediately to the edge with those pass plays; the line doesn't really have to pass block much at all. So I think that assessment is really off there, honestly.

No I'm criticizing in real time while it's happening.  With others who have the same uhhh why would you do that.  Atrocious, bad, not good whatever description, if you didn't like the word then whatever. 

Back to Wisconsin, we couldn't run the ball?  Is that why the 3 running plays to back in the first half all secured over 5 yards?  Just because a defense is good at defending a particular type of play, doesn't mean the attempt shouldn't be made.  When it was it actually was successful, weird.  Just because quick passes get out of the hands of the quarterback fast doesn't take away the fact that your linemen aren't engaged.   They are backing up for a small amount of time and done with the play.  I am not saying run the ball 3 times up the middle to start, but not engaging the linemen early is the biggest factor I think of the penalties on offense.   They go down in the second half usually, why is that, well we are running the ball more, the players are comfortable, and wildly coyote at QB has usually calmed down. 

• Plus1 1

Ha. Criticizes play calling and clock management then goes on to criticize NOT trying to run the ball more against Wisconsin. I can see it now;

A) Complains we didn't try to run more against Wisconsin.

B) If we had tried more would complain that the play calling was bad. Can hear it now "what were those coaches thinking, trying to run against Wiscy with our line and that defense?"

Pretty sweet setup ya got going on there :facepalm:

Like my dad used to say "he'd bitch if he was hung with a new rope"

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, KingBlank said:

No I'm criticizing in real time while it's happening.  With others who have the same uhhh why would you do that.  Atrocious, bad, not good whatever description, if you didn't like the word then whatever. 

Back to Wisconsin, we couldn't run the ball?  Is that why the 3 running plays to back in the first half all secured over 5 yards?  Just because a defense is good at defending a particular type of play, doesn't mean the attempt shouldn't be made.  When it was it actually was successful, weird.  Just because quick passes get out of the hands of the quarterback fast doesn't take away the fact that your linemen aren't engaged.   They are backing up for a small amount of time and done with the play.  I am not saying run the ball 3 times up the middle to start, but not engaging the linemen early is the biggest factor I think of the penalties on offense.   They go down in the second half usually, why is that, well we are running the ball more, the players are comfortable, and wildly coyote at QB has usually calmed down. 

If you really think you're justified in criticizing the play calling in the Wisconsin game when we had 518 total yards of offense, then go for it. Honestly I've never heard someone do that before though. Bad play calling is usually invoked when a team can't move the ball.

Your argument is that the offensive line wouldn't have had as many penalties if we had swapped our pass ratio for our run ratio? Maybe. But there is seriously no way we rack up 518 yards of offense. The last team to crack 500 against Wisconsin? The team that won the national championship in 2015. 

We still wound up with 24 points on the board. Do you actually think we would have had more points on the board if we had called more run plays?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2