The Angry Violent Right

Why is the Right Angry.  This article explains it - while using my Oklahoma as part of the example

https://www.yesmagazine.org/economy/2022/03/21/republican-conservative-america-angry

Decades of political decisions and policies have created a massive and growing chasm between the economic and social disaster unfolding in small-town and rural parts of the United States, and the prosperity and safety of cities and suburbs. Many of those successful urban and suburban areas have reaped the rewards of electing largely moderate, competent Democratic leaders. Meanwhile, rural areas have elected Republicans drawn from a party that is increasingly incompetent, corrupt, and willing to engage in outright racism to win elections.

This disparity may affirm progressive ideas about successful and inclusive governance, but it also holds grave implications for the country as a whole.

Anger is roiling in Republican America, along with conspiratorial fabrications about who to blame for their condition. A harbinger of this trend is Antlers, Oklahoma, where I grew up: a once-thriving town in the southeastern part of the state, bordering the lush Ouachita foothills of dense forests, abundant agriculture, and lucrative tourism resources. The town rebuilt after a devastating 1945 tornado, but it has not weathered 21st century politics.

In a growing nationwide trend, the median household incomes of people of color, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, now exceed those of White people in nearly 200 of the 1,500 Republican-trifecta counties—those in which the party controls the governor’s office and both legislative chambers of state government (see Figure 1). This is a visible factor that has fueled Trump voters’ complaints alleging White people’s diminished status.

Males-Income-1500px-813x1024.jpeg

Males-Deaths-1500px-1024x713.jpeg

A Widening Social and Economic Chasm

Across America, the partisan gap in gross domestic product per capita is also huge and growing: $77,900 in Democratic-voting areas, compared with $46,600 in Republican-voting areas. Antlers and Pushmataha County are hardly alone: 444 Republican counties have a GDP per capita of under $30,000, and 10 times as many people live in those counties than in the seven similarly low-GDP Democratic counties. Whites in about 40% of all Republican counties lost income over the past two decades. And Trump’s administration was no help to his base. During his presidency, the overall Democrat–Republican GDP per capita gap widened by another $1,800.

This is not simply an urban–rural divide. For the largest urbanized states, the three with Democratic control of all branches of government (California, New York, and Illinois) had GDPs per capita vastly higher than the three biggest Republican-controlled states (Texas, Florida, and Ohio).

The right-wing canard that hardworking White people subsidize welfare-grubbing cities is backward. Democrat-voting counties, with 60% of America’s population, generate 67% of the nation’s personal income, 70% of the nation’s GDP, 71% of federal taxes, 73% of charitable contributions, and 75% of state and local taxes.

Misplaced Blame

Surveys and studies consistently find Trump’s generally older, White supporters enraged at “loss of status” and in fear of being “replaced” by non-White people. That White people are falling behind across key economic, health, and safety indexes is not due to victimization by immigrants and liberal conspiracies, however, but to victimization by other Whites and self-inflicted alcoholism, drug overdose, and suicide.

Is the solution to undividing America massive federal programs to improve Republican America’s struggling economies and troubled social conditions, then? Aside from the problem that Republican members of congress (and two recalcitrant Democrats) have sabotaged beneficial initiatives, former President Barack Obama already tried that. From 2010 to 2016, the Obama administration’s economic recovery measures fostered millions of new jobs and thousands of dollars in real median income growth for Whites in urban and most rural areas alike, reversing the recession under Republican George W. Bush’s presidency.

Yet, despite these gains, White voters vehemently rejected Democrats in successive elections. Today, Trump’s base voters are electing candidates who share their racial resentment and imagined victimization, not those who actually are advancing their safety and economic well-being.

Despite the superficial resemblance of the crumbling neighborhoods, junk-filled lots, and widespread poverty of Antlers and conditions in a devastated city of color like Camden, New Jersey, the origins of their devastations are very different. Camden is the product of systemic racism and industrial abandonment inflicted on poor, primarily non-White residents powerless to prevent their exploitation. Antlers is the predictable endgame of White majorities who had better options instead empowering incompetent, corrupt demagogues (segregationist Democrats in the past; nihilist Republicans today) who flatter White claims to racial and religious privilege while awarding largesse to rapacious outsiders.

Poverty in cities and on reservations requires mainly the sustained political will to work with populations who welcome the effort. In stark contrast, fixing rural White poverty against the angry, anti-democratic recalcitrance of most Whites themselves requires an entirely new political thinking we have yet to imagine.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

She's lucky she didn't burn the whole building down. 

Enjoy prison, bigot.

Hateful arsonist sets pride flag on fire outside NYC eatery

A red-headed female arsonist was caught on video setting fire to a pride flag outside a Soho restaurant early Monday, sparking a hate-crime investigation, authorities said. 

The fire, which also damaged part of the outside of the building, was extinguished by the FDNY, police said. No structural damage was reported.

The woman had been driven up to the establishment in a white four-door SUV and hopped out and lit the flag ablaze. She then jumped back in the vehicle and was driven off.

The NYPD’s Hate Crime Task Force was notified and is investigating the incident, cops said. 

NYPICHPDPICT000006979034.jpg

NYPICHPDPICT000006979627.jpg
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
On 2/17/2023 at 11:48 AM, TGHusker said:

Why is the Right Angry.  This article explains it - while using my Oklahoma as part of the example

https://www.yesmagazine.org/economy/2022/03/21/republican-conservative-america-angry

Males-Income-1500px-813x1024.jpeg

Males-Deaths-1500px-1024x713.jpeg

Yes, exactly. 

I've reached a point where it's hard to care. If, after numerous attempts to better their lives, they still want to elect politicians who's only gift is outrage theater, why do we keep trying to drag Red states forward kicking and screaming?

If they want big Gubmint out of their lives - despite paying so little in taxes - leave it out. If they think that gun ownership is going to come in handy when Big Brother is going to come for them - despite a growing number of mass shootings perpetrated by legal ownership of assault rifles - let them. 

Trying to drag an unwilling participant forward only holds the rest of society back. Red states have had their chance through decades of elections. They've made their bed, let them lie in it. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Yes, exactly. 

I've reached a point where it's hard to care. If, after numerous attempts to better their lives, they still want to elect politicians who's only gift is outrage theater, why do we keep trying to drag Red states forward kicking and screaming?

If they want big Gubmint out of their lives - despite paying so little in taxes - leave it out. If they think that gun ownership is going to come in handy when Big Brother is going to come for them - despite a growing number of mass shootings perpetrated by legal ownership of assault rifles - let them. 

Trying to drag an unwilling participant forward only holds the rest of society back. Red states have had their chance through decades of elections. They've made their bed, let them lie in it. 

The problem is that even in red swing states like Texas, Florida, and Ohio, you still have a robust 47% of the population who did not make that bed. 

Even the reddest of states dooms 30% of its citizens to an America they never signed up for. Or you have places like Colorado and Georgia who may have squeezed Biden into office, but brought Bobert and Greene in for the ride as well. 

You can't really screw the people according to the state they call home. But maybe you create a new home and let the red wave migrate there. I was thinking just give these folks Idaho and Montana, enough room to create a libertarian paradise without government interference or financial support. 

I promise to abide by whatever lessons the experiment reveals. 

• TBH 1

I was reading yet another piece about Nazi Germany and the question of why so many Jews went so passively to their deaths. The author mentioned the long history of decent people refusing to resort to violence, a trait that allows violent minorities to prevail.

I used to advocate ignoring folks like this, who were numerically weak and craving the attention. Now I'm thinking the proper response to this bullhorn crew is to hop out the car and absolutely kneecap them.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was reading yet another piece about Nazi Germany and the question of why so many Jews went so passively to their deaths. The author mentioned the long history of decent people refusing to resort to violence, a trait that allows violent minorities to prevail.

I used to advocate ignoring folks like this, who were numerically weak and craving the attention. Now I'm thinking the proper response to this bullhorn crew is to hop out the car and absolutely kneecap them.  

I can only come up with a couple non violent answers for these a$$h@!es. Gather a group twice their size, all with bullhorns and keep them going right back in their face. Or get a TV news station in there to make sure all their faces get plastered all over local television. And then of course I have a few other ideas that I will not share here as some might (hopefully) result in bodily injury.

Ooh….wear earplugs and introduce airhorns to the battle…..about 3” from their ears.

56 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

People like that make an assault & battery charge seem well worth it.  Guarantee this would’ve went much differently if she had her racist rant breakdown in my business.

OMG…..I have a wonderful Hispanic woman who works our counter in our office. Her parents are Mexican immigrants and her dad and I  are decent friends. 

If this b!^@h came into my office and did that, she would be thrown out so damn fast by ME she wouldn’t even know what happened. And I would welcome the law suit she would try to bring. 

This s#!t pisses me off so much. 

• Plus1 5
  • 2 weeks later...