knapplc

The Angry Violent Right

18 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

JFC

@Moirainethere are some articles today saying a coup is not far away for us.  You called it.

I just agree with other people who have the same opinion. When the president says the press is the enemy of the people and there are no repercussions, that tells him he can take it even further. He could possibly stay as president after losing the election if he wanted. The GOP hasn’t shown they’ll stop him.

We’ve had people chime in here that there’s always talk like this, but we’ve never had so many signs that people from the president’s party would roll over and let it happen, nor have we ever had any rhetoric approaching Trump’s. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I just agree with other people who have the same opinion. When the president says the press is the enemy of the people and there are no repercussions, that tells him he can take it even further. He could possibly stay as president after losing the election if he wanted. The GOP hasn’t shown they’ll stop him.

We’ve had people chime in here that there’s always talk like this, but we’ve never had so many signs that people from the president’s party would roll over and let it happen, nor have we ever had any rhetoric approaching Trump’s. 

I have zero faith in the pathetic servility that is the Congressional GOP (nice to see some of them vote against Trump today - let's see if they do the same after the veto), but I do have faith in our independent institutions.

You'd see massive upheaval at the CIA, the FBI, the military, etc. -  perhaps not sycophantic leaders like Pompeo but, maybe? There'd be lawsuits out the wazoo. It would effectively cripple our government's legitimacy on the world stage, which is bad for everybody, including business. It would rain sh#t on him from all of us that don't bow down and kiss the ring.

For all the protests we've seen for various causes since the start of his presidency, there would be nonstop upheaval in the streets if it went this route.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I have zero faith in the pathetic servility that is the Congressional GOP (nice to see some of them vote against Trump today - let's see if they do the same after the veto), but I do have faith in our independent institutions.

You'd see massive upheaval at the CIA, the FBI, the military, etc. -  perhaps not sycophantic leaders like Pompeo but, maybe? There'd be lawsuits out the wazoo. It would effectively cripple our government's legitimacy on the world stage, which is bad for everybody, including business. It would rain sh#t on him from all of us that don't bow down and kiss the ring.

For all the protests we've seen for various causes since the start of his presidency, there would be nonstop upheaval in the streets if it went this route.

I do think he is way overconfident (as is the case in everything) in his support among the police and the military. I expect them to support him at a much higher rate than the general public though, especially the military.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I do think he is way overconfident (as is the case in everything) in his support among the police and the military. I expect them to support him at a much higher rate than the general public though, especially the military. 

Yeah, but military brass won't. Nor should police - though they've been more vocal in support of Trump than I'm comfortable with.

And if we're in a situation where their subordinates would rise up and buck the chain of command in service of the president, we're into totally screwed, banana republic territory anyway.

new zealand terrorists attack.    thanks to extreme right wing extremists.   

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, commando said:

new zealand terrorists attack.    thanks to extreme right wing extremists.   

Not sure why this got an eye roll. Right wing extremists are literally responsible for this. 

• Plus1 3

54 minutes ago, Fru said:

Not sure why this got an eye roll. Right wing extremists are literally responsible for this. 

It definately wasn't from a Right Wing Extremist or someone who supports their philosophy.

:sarcasm

• Haha 3

This is an entertainment issue related to right wing extremism, as a bunch of right wing trolls went on a crusade to get James Gunn fired from Disney after he was critical of Drumpf and the vermin that support him.

Well, Disney went ahead and rehired James Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (and other potential projects) in what is pretty much a repudiation of what the #MAGA crowd was wanting. 

#MAGAtears

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Right wing politicians are jackasses in every country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/christchurch-mosque-shooting-australian-mp-muslims-144820837.html

Whoever gave the pouty face to this needs to seriously reevaluate their life, and stop being a coward. Show your face, stand behind your opinion or get out of here. You're a coward if you don't.

• Plus1 1

To everyone still supporting Trump, this is what that support is earning you:

Racist suspect in New Zealand mosque massacre praised President Trump as 'a symbol of renewed white identity'

The immigrant-bashing white supremacist suspected of killing dozens of Muslims at a mosque in New Zealand released a disturbing manifesto before the Friday massacre praising President Trump as an inspiration for his hate.

The suspect, who has been identified as 28-year-old Australian citizen Brenton Tarrant, released the since-deleted screed before storming into the Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch during afternoon prayer local time and killing at least 41 people. Another eight people were killed in a separate attack at a nearby mosque minutes later.

The 74-page document shouted out right-wing extremists like South Carolina church shooter Dylann Roof and Norwegian neo-Nazi Anders Breivik, lauding them for attempting to provoke race wars in their home countries.

The hateful manifesto also lists Trump as a source of partial kinship.

“As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure,” the suspect wrote. “As a policy maker and leader? Dear god no.”

In the wake of the horrendous attacks, Trump didn’t explicitly condemn racism despite his name being referenced by the suspect.

• Thanks 1

And lest we forget Trump's ties to racists and White Supremacists:

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/15/2019 at 7:52 PM, BigRedBuster said:

What’s funny/sad is that these are the same damn arguments made 100 years ago (technology aside) by conservatives—only instead of Muslims, African countries, and Middle Eastern refugees, it was the Chinese, Germans, and Jewish religious community. I mean, FFS, an irrational fear of German immigrants by conservatives in the US Government is part of the reason the United States stayed out of WWI as long as we did (the other being the money we were making hand over fist by trading with both sides of the war). 

In short, history has proven this fear mongering was without merit 100 years ago, and it’s still without merit.

• Plus1 3
  • Eyeroll 1

35 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

What’s funny/sad is that these are the same damn arguments made 100 years ago (technology aside) by conservatives—only instead of Muslims, African countries, and Middle Eastern refugees, it was the Chinese, Germans, and Jewish religious community. I mean, FFS, an irrational fear of German immigrants by conservatives in the US Government is part of the reason the United States stayed out of WWI as long as we did (the other being the money we were making hand over fist by trading with both sides of the war). 

In short, history has proven this fear mongering was without merit 100 years ago, and it’s still without merit.

Not to mention the Irish. 

• Plus1 1

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez receives so many death threats her staff performs visitor risk assessments

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has received death threats frequently enough that her staff “stiffens” every time someone knocks on the door of her office.

The realities of Ms Ocasio-Cortez’s time in Congress as the US representative of New York's 14th congressional district have been revealed in a new Time profile, which displays the youngest-ever Congresswoman on the cover.

According to the profile, the outspoken Congresswoman has made many fans and enemies in her first few months in office, with the latter leading Capitol Police to train her staff in performing risk assessments of all visitors - even those just leaving positive Post-it notes.