*** Official Minnesota Game What Did We Learn Thread ***

knapplc

On 10/21/2018 at 6:48 AM, The Dude said:

We're almost as bad as Packers fans these days in terms of whining about refs.

When there's statistical evidence backing up the complains (just like the 33-9 disparity in our last Big XII season in three games with the same officiating crew), then it's not whining. To borrow from @alexhortdog95:

SmartSelect_20181020-150344_Gallery.jpg

That's not a mere statistical anomaly. Sorry if wanting a fair shake (well, as fair as one can expect with humans officiating) constitutes whining in your book.  

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

When there's statistical evidence backing up the complains (just like the 33-9 disparity in our last Big XII season in three games with the same officiating crew), then it's not whining. To borrow from @alexhortdog95:

SmartSelect_20181020-150344_Gallery.jpg

That's not a mere statistical anomaly. Sorry if wanting a fair shake (well, as fair as one can expect with humans officiating) constitutes whining in your book.  

21 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You don’t have enough information to determine whether it’s statistically impossible (if you’re trying to say it’s bias against Nebraska). We don’t know how often offensive holding is called on pass plays overall, and we don’t know how often holding actually occurs.

Here is a link that has some info on all offensive holding calls from 2015-2017. Nebraska isn’t even ranked at the bottom for holds per play defended. Michigan is. We’re ranked 11th out of 14. And at the top are the Big Ten darlings Indiana and Minnesota.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/b1g-offensive-holding-statistics-harbaugh-era-updated-play

Did you not read Moiraine's post from the Reffing thread, or are you just ignoring it? The Big Ten doesn't call a lot of holding, and we're not even getting the worst of it. We're towards the bottom, but other teams see it called even less and it is pretty much the definition of a statistical anomaly. 21 games is obviously unlikely, but that's also excluding all running plays- also I'm pretty sure Diaco wanted the d-line to just stand in the way, so I'm not surprised at all it wasn't called last year.  It's completely different than the end of the Big XII era, that was absurd.

Another factor people have pointed out - we have no pass rushers, so it's easy for opponents to not hold. I've seen a couple missed calls on Gifford, but I really haven't seen a lot of blatant no calls. The refs have not been great, but every team feels that way and we've done ourselves no favors.

• Plus1 1

I know the transitive property has loads of exceptions but...

Minnesota is destroying Indiana, who hung tough with Penn State and didn't get blown out of the water by Ohio State. Minnesota also didn't get blown out of the water by Ohio State. So... maybe we will not get blown out of the water by Ohio State.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I know the transitive property has loads of exceptions but...

Minnesota is destroying Indiana, who hung tough with Penn State and didn't get blown out of the water by Ohio State. Minnesota also didn't get blown out of the water by Ohio State. So... maybe we will not get blown out of the water by Ohio State.

Why don't you just go with... we lost to Purdue by 14, and they crushed Ohio State by 29?

We have to take our opponents as we find them.  SOS is out the window.  I really don't care how we compare with other teams.  It's how we are developing internally. 

Will we minimize penalties?  Will we start to see an identity of a Scott Frost team?  Will we start to see that focus?  Today's game can be a stepping stone towards that.