*** Official Minnesota Game What Did We Learn Thread ***

knapplc

14 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You DO realize that Purdue just put up 500+ yards of offense and 49 points against Ohio State, RIGHT??????

So according to the "logic" from some on this board, Ohio State has no talent and OBVIOUSLY they need to fire their DC and bring in someone else who can do better.

I would not be surprised if their HC is gone at the end of the season

I was pretty encouraged with the defense yesterday and I'm willing to overlook a fair bit of the 2H due to the fact that Minnesota did most of their damage with the backup QB that NU didn't prepare for.  Sure, it's easy to pay lip service that you should be able to adjust on the fly and while there is a bit of truth there, it's hard to do that when you've spent the whole week planning for one guy and his tendencies and then all of a sudden you get thrown a curveball.  

Shoot, it's hard in the NFL too.  Case in point, the Cleveland/NYJ game from a couple weeks ago where Mayfield came in at halftime and looked incredible.  The Jets stated that they spent zero time prepping for Mayfield as they didn't think he'd play and that's in the NFL where you're only limited by the hours in a day in terms of practice time/film prep.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I learned that after 3 games of solid play something has clicked for Lamar Jackson. The bench is a great motivator sometimes. Just another benefit to getting more depth. 

I must be seeing something different than everyone else.  The last 3 games it has looked like he has played a lot better because the other team has been utilizing a slot rec to tear our defense up.  They haven't attacked Lamar like teams did in the first few games because there hasn't been a need because we can't guard the slot.  I guess I will say he has played a little better when the ball has come his way but i wont say something has clicked until I see a team go at him and he responds positively

^^

this is true. It takes longer to get a defense playing well, no doubt. 

As as long as our offense can give it away less than the other team these days will happen more often. Turnover and penalties was my biggest concern going into the season and it seems we are shooting that up. 

Red zone one turnover was huge against Minnie, that’s the type of play we need. Less given by us, a couple taken by us... victory. 

We are blocking on the edge much better from the receiving core.  And reducing penalties in those same spots.

Frost did a nice job of slowing the pace when we were ahead...something we did poorly earlier in the year.  And, we were NOT predictable with the lead unlike NW game.

What I really want to see are new issues or mistakes.  I don't like miscues, but when they are all new, it means the kids are learning and growing.

And, again, I LOVED seeing the fight in the kids when they could've been down and started doubting.  I agree with Scott things have changed since Purdue.  Let's keep getting better, boys!