Husker from Kansas

Who is KU going to hire now?

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Does it really matter? It’s always been a dumpster fire.

IF the rumors about KU eventually coming to the BIG are true, then I think it does matter because we'd probably play on a yearly basis and it would be nice for them to be competitive.

2 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

IF the rumors about KU eventually coming to the BIG are true, then I think it does matter because we'd probably play on a yearly basis and it would be nice for them to be competitive.

Sorry, I was just taking a cheapshot at their historically woeful football program.

3 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

With KU's firing of Beaty, who in the hell are they going to get to take over their dumpster fire of a program and try to right the ship? 

Tracy Claeys...it would be a perfect hire...Kill would come on staff as well.  

• Plus1 1

48 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You know who'd be a perfect hire?  

Mark Mangino

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You know who'd be a perfect hire?  

Mark Mangino

I've actually seen KU fans advocating for this.

"He was an a$$h@!e, but we were winning." :lol:

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

Both of those guys deserve better than Kansas.Tracy is putting a good defense together for the pirate.

11 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

I've actually seen KU fans advocating for this.

"He was an a$$h@!e, but we were winning." :lol:

There were a lot who didn't like the firing in the first place.

I don't know any ku fans so I'm not sure what kind of expectations they have for football but i have a hard time believing les miles is going to accomplish whatever they expect him to. 

If he doesn't hire a great oc and give him control of the offense there's no way they'll be able to keep up with anyone. I think miles just pulled a Riley and got his retirement fund secured.

• Plus1 1

Most KU fans I know just want to be competitive and be in a bowl

game more often than not. And they’d like to see the athletic department make an honest effort to treat football as a priority not just basketballs red headed stepchild 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I don't know any ku fans so I'm not sure what kind of expectations they have for football but i have a hard time believing les miles is going to accomplish whatever they expect him to. 

In the best of times it's only a bowl game. If you can average 5 wins a season at KU, you'd get the Ferentz treatment. At this point, it's practically any win. They've won one conference game on the road in about 10 years, no conference road games in that span, and have torn the goal posts down on 2/3 of their home wins. 

The current expectations are practically non-existent. 

5 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

And they’d like to see the athletic department make an honest effort to treat football as a priority not just basketballs red headed stepchild 

It sounds like this is a big part of what got the deal done:

His courtship with Kansas was rooted in the coach’s close relationship with new Kansas athletic director Jeff Long. Miles and Long have a friendship that stretches back to their days at Michigan in the 1980s, and it is widely known that Long, while AD at Arkansas in 2012, extended a lucrative offer to Miles, then at LSU. Miles received an enhanced contract after Long’s pursuit, his final extension while in Baton Rouge.

But yeah, for the immediate future it'll be interesting to see who he brings in as his OC. After that, it'll be interesting to see what kind of recruiting class he can put together.

6 hours ago, brophog said:

They've won one conference game on the road in about 10 years, no conference road games in that span

nnsns.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 6

Once Les Miles is active again, there will only be 5 current head coaches with a national championship on their resume, and one of them is at Kansas.

• Plus1 1

On 11/16/2018 at 7:01 PM, LumberJackSker said:

If he doesn't hire a great oc and give him control of the offense there's no way they'll be able to keep up with anyone. I think miles just pulled a Riley and got his retirement fund secured.

If they expect him to win .333 of his games eventually then he might be fine. I don't think he's gonna make Kansas a winning program.

I like the hire, at this point in time. If this were a Mike Riley situation....hiring an older coach to transition a successful program over the hump, I'd hate it. I don't for a minute think Les Miles' rather archaic style fits that kind of job. This is a builder's job, almost from the ground floor.

For KU, it's almost easier to build that roster from scratch. They only had 28 scholarship players in the first spring of Beaty's tenure, and just finally hit 70 this fall. An FCS school has 63, for comparison. It's even worse than that because over half of Beaty's players were transfers. Their class sizes are totally screwed up and they lose a huge chunk of what little talent they have, to be replaced by the 1 commit they currently have.

What KU needs in the immediate future is someone that can recruit and sell the program. They need significant facility and stadium upgrades to be even remotely competitive. That means someone has to pay for it. That's fans in the stands and boosters. A big name hire like Miles that knows his way around major college football is ideal for that job. They got him relatively cheap, too, at about 2.8 mil a year. 

When he's ready to retire in a few years and has elevated the program, then it's ready for a coach that wants to run a specific system that can then take them to that next level. Right now, KU mostly needs someone to make KU football interesting, and few are more interesting than the Mad Hatter.

I'm not a big Les Miles fan.  Considering he was absolutely terrible at coming up with a competant offense at LSU I'm somewhat skeptical that he'll be able to compete is the offense-happy Big XII.

However, if he can make some strides in recruiting and culture, they may at least be respectable.

@Mavric The other thing is I'm always skeptical about how well big SEC guys will be able to recruit when they're not sitting in top-tier recruiting territory. Lawrence is obviously a whole different world than Baton Rouge.

• Plus1 1

They should have gone after a really big hire

this 

guy

Image result for mark mangino kansas

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

So, a lot of people were wondering who Miles would bring in as his OC. Well, he's bringing in Chip Lindsey, who was just let go by Auburn. This season, Auburn is #72 in scoring offense and #94 in total offense. So there's that.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/auburn-parts-with-offensive-coordinator-chip-lindsey-who-joins-les-miles-at-kansas/

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

So, a lot of people were wondering who Miles would bring in as his OC. Well, he's bringing in Chip Lindsey, who was just let go by Auburn. This season, Auburn is #72 in scoring offense and #94 in total offense. So there's that.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/auburn-parts-with-offensive-coordinator-chip-lindsey-who-joins-les-miles-at-kansas/

Well that's uh...um...uhh...umm...uh...uh...umm...umm...uh...uh...uh...umm an uh, interesting umm, hire.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:52 PM, Mavric said:

I'm not a big Les Miles fan.  Considering he was absolutely terrible at coming up with a competant offense at LSU I'm somewhat skeptical that he'll be able to compete is the offense-happy Big XII.

However, if he can make some strides in recruiting and culture, they may at least be respectable.

It should be a good test of conference reputations.  If Les starts putting up big offensive numbers vs Big12 defenses then I'll say they're as bad as reported.  And Visa versa for the SECw.

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It should be a good test of conference reputations.  If Les starts putting up big offensive numbers vs Big12 defenses then I'll say they're as bad as reported.  And Visa versa for the SECw.

I think that only applies if Miles refuses to go to a spread uptempo offense to match the rest of the conference. I dont think he will change, but who knows