Obligatory "Is Iowa a Rival" Thread

Mavric

Rivalry Week?  

200 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It’ll be interesting to see how long Kirk hangs on. With the B1G expansion and equitable B1G scheduling, those routine 9-3/8-4/7-5 seasons will assuredly be more and more difficult to come by. It wouldn’t shock me if he hangs it up soon. It also wouldn’t shock me if he makes the Iowa Athletic Department pry the job from his cold, dead hands.

My gut says he and Brian aren’t going anywhere. Iowa having to settle a $4m lawsuit out of court on his behalf, with Kirk coming out seemingly unscathed is quite an accomplishment. If he can navigate that without an issue, keeping around his son will be a layup.

You also have to imagine the nepotism can go only go on for so long until it creates some dissension within the ranks. I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t already. Parker and Woods both work their tails off for their respective units, and yet they’re being held back because of Baby Huey. Parker is 60 so he probably rides it out at Iowa. But if I’m a 45 year old Woods, and someone like Michigan St calls… I’m answering. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Iowa will go 9-3 or 8-4 with an Outback Bowl bid.  Kirk will get another contract extension (because all Iowa strives for is to be above average).

Brian won't meet his 25 ppg metric, but he will leave for an NFL OL gig before he is fired.

The fans and media are hyped about firing BOTH Ferentz’s if they do not fire Brian. I totally agree that Brian’s place in an O line coach in the nfl. 6 or 8 years ago the thought was that he would take over for his dad, and now it seems that he is drowning his dad by hanging on.

I am betting that Kirk stays around a few more years (he deserves to retire when he wants to), but Brian moves on either during season or just after. He is a good O Line coach and there were hopes that he could be a good O Coordinator, but it just did not work out. 

While we are throwing stones in the glass house, anybody care to fathom how many head coaches and assistant coaches have been through Lincoln in the last 20 years? Stability and good choices in coaching have not exactly been the norm in Lincoln.   

38 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

I am betting that Kirk stays around a few more years (he deserves to retire when he wants to), but Brian moves on either during season or just after. He is a good O Line coach and there were hopes that he could be a good O Coordinator, but it just did not work out. 

While we are throwing stones in the glass house, anybody care to fathom how many head coaches and assistant coaches have been through Lincoln in the last 20 years? Stability and good choices in coaching have not exactly been the norm in Lincoln.   

Quite a few, but at least they weren't a bunch of racists.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

On 9/29/2023 at 7:05 AM, ZRod said:

Quite a few, but at least they weren't a bunch of racists.

Well, actually they were not racists. The rules of the team were the rules of the team, and some sorry losers saw an opportunity to call "racism". Frankly, the coaches were pissed that it did not go to trial so that they could be cleared.

One example is that one of the coaches said "get you a$$ moving or I'll send you packing back to the city" to a guy that happened to be black, and 3 years later, after a failed run at the NFL, he cried "racism" and found a low life lawyer on a contingency to file a lawsuit. This same coach told a farm boy the same thing except "I'll send you packing back to the turkey farm". It motivated this player and he is a standout linebacker in the NFL.

There is almost nothing today that can be said without being able to be twisted into "racism". I am betting that more of you agree with that statement than disagree. 

Is that better or worse than Tom Osborne keeping a players handgun in his safe that was used in committing a crime. Is that what you have to do to win? Just in case you need reminded:

https://vault.si.com/vault/1995/09/25/coach-and-jury-nebraska-players-charged-with-crimes-have-a-steadfast-ally-in-the-man-who-runs-the-program-tom-osborne

Seriously @CyHawk

Not a single person on this board will deny that past coaches did some shady things but it wasn't just one player that has called Iowa's racism out and it was significant enough that it cost at least one coach his position. It is a tarnish and deservedly so but one the University will undoubtedly rise above. Still to diminish and deny is a discredit to the efforts that University is and has taken to avoid the issue going forward.

edit: also, let me add, more often than not those in denial are so because they themselves are guilty. There's zero place in this world for "any" type of racism yet all too often it exists and though I hate to admit it, the midwest seems to be becoming a brewing ground for severe prejudices be it of religious, ethnic or gender identity. Disgusting to say the least.

12 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Seriously @CyHawk

Not a single person on this board will deny that past coaches did some shady things but it wasn't just one player that has called Iowa's racism out and it was significant enough that it cost at least one coach his position. It is a tarnish and deservedly so but one the University will undoubtedly rise above. Still to diminish and deny is a discredit to the efforts that University is and has taken to avoid the issue going forward.

edit: also, let me add, more often than not those in denial are so because they themselves are guilty. There's zero place in this world for "any" type of racism yet all too often it exists and though I hate to admit it, the midwest seems to be becoming a brewing ground for severe prejudices be it of religious, ethnic or gender identity. Disgusting to say the least.

I can't stand the Chicken Hawks, but could we please keep the football topics on the football board, and the politics in the politics board.  I don't come to Huskerboard to read about people's stances on "racism".

• TBH 1