Young Invited to NFLPA Bowl

Mavric

Earlier in the year a few of the Blackshirts from the 1990s and 2000s were discussing the defense and pointing out how "#5" (they wouldn't call him out by name) was often out of position, keying on the wrong read, etc.

That tune has changed in the second half of the season, and it's no wonder why.

Young is second on the team in passes defensed. (Bootle)

He's second on the team in total tackles. (Barry)

He's third on the team in solo tackles. (Barry/Williams)

He's second on the team in interceptions. (Reed/Williams/Jackson) (this is a little misleading - he only has one, but it was in the second half of the season)

He'll finish the season with career highs in Solo and Total tackles, and needs one TFL to tie his career best.

MOST of that has come in the second half, and Young filling his role on the defense has helped shore up a leaky spot.

It's really impressive when you consider he's on his third defensive coordinator in four years. He's just kept grinding, and he appears to be having a lot more fun now. Super happy for him.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

This is a great opportunity to show what he can do - he definitely flashed good coverage ability early in the year, and I think that's gotten a lot more consistent. I could see him being an NFL sub-package guy, LBs that can cover are pretty rare.

That was my thoughts about him, as well.  He's not very good in run fits, but pass coverage is his strength.  With the NFL trending towards a more wide open, pass happy league, they could use players like Young.  It's a long shot, but he has a shot.

I couldn't find the info but I'd be curious to see where Young stacks up in terms of all-time career starts.  He's going to end up with 43 if my math is right.  I know some of it is due to the coaching change but Young has to go down as one of the least talked about 4 year starters in a long, long time.  I hope he shines in any post season opportunities and gets a shot at the next level.

Young seemed to be a product of being over-taught, or over-thinking. He was a great freshman, but as he went through soph and junior years he had two many hands in his kitchen. Being taught bad habits or just poor coaching in general made him regress. Its like he forgot how to play football the way he had previously. I think frost & co. finally broke those poor habits he learned and now he's finally getting back to what I (and many others) hoped he would be.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, AlaSker said:

Young seemed to be a product of being over-taught, or over-thinking. He was a great freshman, but as he went through soph and junior years he had two many hands in his kitchen. Being taught bad habits or just poor coaching in general made him regress. Its like he forgot how to play football the way he had previously. I think frost & co. finally broke those poor habits he learned and now he's finally getting back to what I (and many others) hoped he would be.

Too bad Gates didn't stick around - he regressed badly as well and could have used some real coaching.

5 hours ago, AlaSker said:

This is my thinking as well.  I think the previous coaches had him so screwed up with different things that he didn't know what to do.  Last year we literally had LBs regularly standing in place for a couple seconds after the snap.  I have never seen that anywhere else on any level.  

He seems to have come along as the year went on.  His testing numbers when he was in high school were NFL-caliber.  Hopefully he's been re-coached enough this year to have a shot.