Discontent in the AD?

Cdog923

19 minutes ago, Toe said:

2015 is also before Nebraska was receiving a full share of B1G revenues.

I don't know if that's going to make a huge difference for baseball. I could be wrong. I have no idea whether they break it down by sport. My guess is they don't. And my guess is if they did, football would be worth 95% of the revenue.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Erstad won a conference title.  Which is something Miles never came anywhere close to.

Erstad has been to the NCAA tournament three times in six year.  Miles was there one time in seven years.

I don't think your statement is very accurate.

The comparative competition in conference between baseball and basketball is drastically different as are the expectations/history of success. I was comparing them relative to whats expected and how difficult it is to achieve. Certainly Erstad has accomplished more but has done it against lower competition and with higher expectations.

Of course that's my subjective opinion so feel free to continue not thinking it's accurate.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know if that's going to make a huge difference for baseball. I could be wrong. I have no idea whether they break it down by sport. My guess is they don't. And my guess is if they did, football would be worth 95% of the revenue.

Yeah, for all I know the numbers in that report don't even include conference revenues.

19 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

This all seems crazy in retrospect.  Really sad if people besmirched someone that is turning into one of our best ADs to protect a likable bball coach.  Too much of a coincidence that these Moos rumors began when the basketball team started to fail and it looked likely that Moos would fire Miles.  In the end the right thing happened since Moos is still here, Miles is gone and Hoiberg is in.  I doubt we'll hear more negative Moos rumors during his tenure.  Unfortunately this probably soured things for Moos and he won't stay as long as he planned.

Oh I think Moos knew what he was getting into when he came here.  The man has think skin and I'm sure when he was at Oregon he had a lot of the same thing happen there.  There will still be those that are never happy and will stay sour, because you know in sports, the sport fan knows every fricking thing there is to know about everything and especially AD's.  Now my comment were typed by a sports fan just like that!  :D

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

The comparative competition in conference between baseball and basketball is drastically different as are the expectations/history of success. I was comparing them relative to whats expected and how difficult it is to achieve. Certainly Erstad has accomplished more but has done it against lower competition and with higher expectations.

I think that's a fair point, but I don't know if it correlates to DE having ~two years to figure it out before he's gone. I won't rule it out but I think we would need to see some fairly inept baseball given that DE has won a conference title (which is Moos' primary goal for every program) and has made it into post season play a few times.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Landlord said:

Erstad's been here longer than Miles and has barely accomplished more. Moos has shown he's not f#&%ing around with expectations - I think Erstad has this year and next to do something really impressive before he's out.

Hell I was just giving him this year. If he fails to make the conference tourney again he'll be gone. Can't do that especially when it's in Omaha for awhile. Need to be making noise in it too. It was really fun seeing TD Ameritrade Park all red (especially when we don't know if/when we will be back for the CWS)

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think that's a fair point, but I don't know if it correlates to DE having ~two years to figure it out before he's gone. I won't rule it out but I think we would need to see some fairly inept baseball given that DE has won a conference title (which is Moos' primary goal for every program) and has made it into post season play a few times.

I mean the conference title is great and all but you have to remember that we tried everything we could to give it away, but it just so happened that iowa and whoever the other team was did an even better job at choking away the championship. Post conference tourney play isn't nearly as impressive to me personally as, say, basketball post season play. To me it's like making a bowl game in football. It should be the bare minimum goal.

21 hours ago, Landlord said:

Of course that's my subjective opinion so feel free to continue not thinking it's accurate.

Your word was "accomplished".  Accomplishments are not subjective.  That's what actually happened.  Now, if you want to try to backtrack and finesse what you were trying to say that's fine.  

So I was correct that your statement was not accurate.  Now you're changing what you are saying to fit your opinion. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

I mean the conference title is great and all but you have to remember that we tried everything we could to give it away, but it just so happened that iowa and whoever the other team was did an even better job at choking away the championship. Post conference tourney play isn't nearly as impressive to me personally as, say, basketball post season play. To me it's like making a bowl game in football. It should be the bare minimum goal.

Minnesota lost two games to a fairly bad Purdue team (finished 8th in the league), after Nebraska lost to a Penn State team that won maybe 3 games in conference play that season total.  Iowa wasn't much of a threat to win the regular season but did win the tournament and even managed to win a game or two in the NCAA regionals :dunno who knew it was possible to succeed in any kind of tournament?

1 conference trophy so far out of a possible 14, is basically the bottom line.  Meh.  The NCAA has been generous with trying to give northern teams shots in regionals, and Nebraska has sh*t the bed repeatedly with those opportunities.  It's not a matter of recruiting, either.  Yale and Holy Cross didn't even give any scholarships to baseball.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Your word was "accomplished".  Accomplishments are not subjective. 

Okay so if Coach A accomplishes a football national championship at Alabama and Coach B accomplishes a national championship at Iowa State, you'd weigh those accomplishments completely equally?

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Okay so if Coach A accomplishes a football national championship at Alabama and Coach B accomplishes a national championship at Iowa State, you'd weigh those accomplishments completely equally?

Look at the definitions of the word and I think you'll understand what he is talking about.  An accomplishment to Alabama Football winning another National Championship is not as big as Iowa State.  Why?  Because it is expected at Alabama and not so at Iowa State.  It has to do with expectation.

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

Okay so if Coach A accomplishes a football national championship at Alabama and Coach B accomplishes a national championship at Iowa State, you'd weigh those

accomplishments completely equally?

Again, you're making a different argument now.  First you simply said their accomplishments were basically the same.  Now you're (apparently) conceding they're not but saying you don't value one as much as the other.

That's fine.  But you could at least admit that you didn't say what you were trying to say the first time instead of getting wound up about it.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Again, you're making a different argument now.  First you simply said their accomplishments were basically the same.  Now you're (apparently) conceding they're not but saying you don't value one as much as the other.

That's fine.  But you could at least admit that you didn't say what you were trying to say the first time instead of getting wound up about it.

I'm not wound up at all, I just think what I was trying to say was fairly obvious and easy to understand. Maybe I used the wrong language for it but to anyone not being routinely pedantic about the tiniest most inconsequential verbiage I think the point that A) Erstad has underwhelmed and B) what he's done isn't much more impressive than what Miles has, was at least fairly obvious. 

Also in the same spirit of being pedantic, I never said their accomplishments were basically the same. I said Erstad has barely accomplished more. As a wizard of words you should know there's worlds and worlds of difference in pure meaning between those two statements Mav :lol: