Thurston from Pender

Replacements for Miles

Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

Be curious if you know something I dont know that would make you say that Miles isnt a great guy?

I don't "know" anything.  I've just heard a couple times that there are things behind the scenes that paint a different picture.  In particular that may have been a contributing factor to the 2014-15 meltdown.

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't "know" anything.  I've just heard a couple times that there are things behind the scenes that paint a different picture.  In particular that may have been a contributing factor to the 2014-15 meltdown.

I have heard he is really hard on his guys and intense in practice... 

I think certain kids have left because of that. 

I think most left because of his ability to grow their skills in the area they want to be great in. 

The "you make one mistake and dont see the court for two games but then the next game you see 20 minutes" thing really messed with kids.

One of the reasons I think the guys are playing so well now is they know he cant bench them for making a mistake. 

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I have heard he is really hard on his guys and intense in practice... 

I think certain kids have left because of that. 

I think most left because of his ability to grow their skills in the area they want to be great in. 

The "you make one mistake and dont see the court for two games but then the next game you see 20 minutes" thing really messed with kids.

One of the reasons I think the guys are playing so well now is they know he cant bench them for making a mistake. 

I definitely think there has to be a decent amount of that in play.  You don't get so many guys who were major contributors/playing a lot to leave if there wasn't.

But what I've heard is other stuff away from basketball.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I definitely think there has to be a decent amount of that in play.  You don't get so many guys who were major contributors/playing a lot to leave if there wasn't.

But what I've heard is other stuff away from basketball.

I've heard a little of that too. Not going to get into it too much because I have no hard proof. Plus I have a haircut appointment to get to.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Rumors a swirlin'. Moos daddy pushing hard for Hoiberg 

Have to wonder if Altman's extension was precipitated by him having offers to go elsewhere....

2 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Miles was gone last August. The fact that anybody thinks that the way this season has gone would be enough to force an AD's hand to reconsider that baffles the mind. There is literally no way that it could feasibly go from here that would set in motion any deviation from the plan laid forth the minute the 1 year extension was given.  We will lose to Wisconsin today and, hopefully at that point those that are wondering 'if we win an NCAA title would it save Miles?" can finally rest easy knowing that miracle isn't riding in on a white horse this season. 

Counterpoint: had Miles won (or wins, because even as remote of a possibility as it is, it's still in play) an NCAA tournament game, there's no way he would have been fired. 

33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Have to wonder if Altman's extension was precipitated by him having offers to go elsewhere....

It was. Moos reached out to Altman as well - he leveraged that to get an extension. 

I remember back in the olden days before anti-social media when you'd pick up the sports section of the paper and it would say "Husker AD decides yada yada yada..." ……..and then you'd tell your friends "Hey, did you hear the Huskers are doing yada yada yada?"

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I remember back in the olden days before anti-social media when you'd pick up the sports section of the paper and it would say "Husker AD decides yada yada yada..." ……..and then you'd tell your friends "Hey, did you hear the Huskers are doing yada yada yada?"

And in those good ol' days before the interwebs, if you overheard people at the local coffee shop or at the bar speculating about the future of the local coach, did you also harass them then about their opinions without providing any commentary of value yourself? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

And in those good ol' days before the interwebs, if you overheard people at the local coffee shop or at the bar speculating about the future of the local coach, did you also harass them then about their opinions without providing any commentary of value yourself? 

he provided commentary in 10 other local coffee shops so he didnt need to add any more.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Our team just wins 3 games, are having the time of their lives, and the first thing you thing to do is get on here and make sure everybody knows you think the coach should be fired. I think you should be fired.

How old are you?

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Back when you use to walk to school two miles, up-hill both ways in 2 feet of snow?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Back when you use to walk to school two miles, up-hill both ways in 2 feet of snow?

Yeah, back when we used to do something besides sitting around pretending we were running the team.

But there were a few vocal experts even in the old timey days who insisted we get rid of that lousy football coach Osborne. They'd get up on the serving counter in small town cafes and wave their arms wildly.

• Sad 3
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

his public outward appearance suggests

couldnt quote you because your post was a quote but in regards to that

Don't really care either way about Miles specifically, but isn't this point a technicality? I mean, isn't that true of every public figure in the world? 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Don't really care either way about Miles specifically, but isn't this point a technicality? I mean, isn't that true of every public figure in the world? 

No

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Be patient, as we might have to wait until after the NIT

Yeah, I think there's a decent chance that we get an NIT invite which we've said we'll accept.  So I assume it'll have to wait until after that.  

Is the NIT announced Sunday or Monday?

Just now, Mavric said:

Yeah, I think there's a decent chance that we get an NIT invite which we've said we'll accept.  So I assume it'll have to wait until after that.  

Is the NIT announced Sunday or Monday?

I actually think that Moos already has his guy lined up!

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Seems silly to make any statement or comment about it at this point. If your going to wait till after the season then just wait till after the season.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Seems silly to make any statement or comment about it at this point. If your going to wait till after the season then just wait till after the season.

Giving him 1 year extension?:waste

If Moos is making a statement today, makes me think he's keeping Miles. Why announce you're firing him before NIT bids are announced?

Unless you're going to decline the bid? Or you've got one of the assistants lined up to coach the team in the postseason?

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If Moos is making a statement today, makes me think he's keeping Miles. Why announce you're firing him before NIT bids are announced?

Unless you're going to decline the bid? Or you've got one of the assistants lined up to coach the team in the postseason?

I agree this is just odd!  We will know in 35 min.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don’t think so imo.  Bo was fired after Iowa and Barney coached the bowl game.  Same concept.  Logistically it’s probably not a big deal for an assistant to coach in the NIT considering no one cares about that trournament anyways.  

Maybe he has a coach lined up already and is just ready to move on. We will see soon enough though. An assistant could take over for the NIT if we get an invite

Rumor is Hoiberg...but nothing's really known. Just passing along what some are saying...

Wouldn't it be weird if our AD and coach actually talked it over in detail instead of just slipping a note under the door?

• Eyeroll 1

He's making a statement from California? That seems kinda s#!tty

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why announce you're firing him before NIT bids are announced?

Same reason football coaches get fired before bowls are played? Just let an assistant handle it and get started on the future, no sense dragging things out.

1 minute ago, GSG said:

He's making a statement from California? That seems kinda s#!tty

Unless Miles already knew, but I agree.... You dont get anything out of doing it now. Wait till everyone is back in Lincoln.

Pretty sure that's not good news for Miles if he doesn't know what the statement's going to be.

If Moos wanted to keep Miles, you'd think Miles would know.

2 minutes ago, Comish said:

Rumor is Hoiberg...but nothing's really known. Just passing along what some are saying...

So you think this is a your fired announcement?

Just now, The Murphinator said:

So you think this is a your fired announcement?

It would seem odd ...but a couple of guys with ties that have been ahead of the rumor mill before are pushing it

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Yeah, back when we used to do something besides sitting around pretending we were running the team.

But there were a few vocal experts even in the old timey days who insisted we get rid of that lousy football coach Osborne. They'd get up on the serving counter in small town cafes and wave their arms wildly.

How is sharing my opinion, me pretending I am running the team?

Just because my opinion differs from your opinion doesnt mean I am sitting on some high horse. 

Also, I believe you are sitting around using technology to share your opinion the same way I am.....

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Unless Miles already knew, but I agree.... You dont get anything out of doing it now. Wait till everyone is back in Lincoln.

Unless a potential lengthy run in the NIT would foul up the timing

4 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

How is sharing my opinion, me pretending I am running the team?

Just because my opinion differs from your opinion doesnt mean I am sitting on some high horse. 

Also, I believe you are sitting around using technology to share your opinion the same way I am.....

Admit it....it's like an angry mob with pitchforks trying to bully the sheriff. And what makes you think I disagree with you? I just think there's a time and place for it.

• Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

He must know...

After this many years of not much, you have to think he expects to be fired.