Maurice Washington Faces Charges

1 minute ago, soup said:

And this continues to get lost in the back and forth.  The kid that was actually there and made the video only received probation.

Why would MW get anything worse than that?

Probably because the kids that did the filming and were in possession of the video were still minors when charged.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, soup said:

And this continues to get lost in the back and forth.  The kid that was actually there and made the video only received probation.

Why would MW get anything worse than that?

Because the kids were not adults under the law, but Mo was an adult when he sent the video. I'm not saying that's right, but it's why it's different.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Here's the whole explanation about the proceedings. The way twitter embeds work, posting three tweets would have been a mess.

qHYGp11.png

So, based on this, if you suspended Mo until this all plays out you would effectively be banning a player for an entire football season when the lawyers have not even sat down and said ok do we have enough evidence to proceed. If the lawyers had met and the judge agreed to move forward I understand suspending the kid until the trial is finished. However, at this point you'd be suspending him in a case that hasn't even been sent to trial and could be dismissed.

• Plus1 2
Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

So, based on this, if you suspended Mo until this all plays out you would effectively be banning a player for an entire football season when the lawyers have not even sat down and said ok do we have enough evidence to proceed. If the lawyers had met and the judge agreed to move forward I understand suspending the kid until the trial is finished. However, at this point you'd be suspending him in a case that hasn't even been sent to trial and could be dismissed. 

This is correct.

And, even if convicted, or he pleas, it could be dropped to a misdemeanor. Meaning you suspend a player for a season for something he's going to get probation for.

The flip side is, this goes to trial, it's a landmark case, and Washington is convicted on felony charges, and receives jail time. And at that point it all hits the fan.

Weird times.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

And Frost has lost a lot of credibility in terms of his "we want players that do the right thing" spiel from last year. 

1) Presumption of innocence is a foundation of our legal system for good reason

2) As others have said, the actual situation of what happened is far less serious than what should be a felony (not saying it wasn't a mistake by Mo)

3) You don't believe that coaches should show their players grace when they do wrong?

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

This is correct.

And, even if convicted, or he pleas, it could be dropped to a misdemeanor. Meaning you suspend a player for a season for something he's going to get probation for.

The flip side is, this goes to trial, it's a landmark case, and Washington is convicted on felony charges, and receives jail time. And at that point it all hits the fan.

Weird times.

Or the coaches/university could decide on a punishment based on Mo sending a sex video to humiliate someone regardless of the legal ramifications. And then the coaches/university make a clear statement about the punishment.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But that's a big part of the problem with suspending Mo for a half without an explanation. Nobody knows why he was suspended, so now people just have to make an educated guess. 

Didn't we have other players that were self-medicating with pot this summer?  I think if the suspension was for weed then others would have been suspended as well.  That's my educated guess.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Or the coaches/university could decide on a punishment based on Mo sending a sex video to humiliate someone regardless of the legal ramifications. And then the coaches/university make a clear statement about the punishment.

I think they have. Which is why people are ripping Frost and Nebraska. 

1 minute ago, CapoValley said:

I think they have. Which is why people are ripping Frost and Nebraska. 

Who cares if people are ripping Frost and Nebraska. If this gets dropped to a misdeminor those people will end up looking stupid. Frost and Nebraska actually know more about the case than anyone giving their hot takes so I'll trust that they come out looking like the smart ones given they have more information. Regardless, they did not do what @RedDenver suggested, and maybe they should have. Come out with a press release saying Maurice will be suspended x amount of time because of his misconduct sending the video to the girl. They never did that.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Who cares if people are ripping Frost and Nebraska. If this gets dropped to a misdeminor those people will end up looking stupid. Frost and Nebraska actually know more about the case than anyone giving their hot takes so I'll trust that they come out looking like the smart ones given they have more information.

Hot takes & outrage play better on message boards, tho.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1