Maurice Washington Faces Charges

Just now, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

Not trying to be argumentative here but if they were suspended indefinitely BEFORE charges should be filed, what's the defense of Washington still playing AFTER charges were filed?

That they have all of the information they need to make a decision on whether he should play or not. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I am basing my opinion the facts that we know. Maurice Washington sent a video of an alleged assault to the victim to get back at her because she didn’t want to hook up with him. 

Because of that, he’s been charged with a felony. I don’t think he should play. You clearly do think he should play. Frost decided to do both. 

Yes, I find that ham fisted. 

Okay. You don't agree with the decision to play him before the issue is settled in court. That is a legitimate opinion to have. I don't agree with it in this case but it's much better to simply admit that rather than trotting out quotes by the coach that do not apply to this specific situation and then using that quote as an example of why you feel it was handled in a hamfisted manner.

So basically you just don't believe our legal system is based on the premise of innocent until proven guilty. Or that there just might be shades of gray pertaining to teenagers lack of maturity or inappropriate use of social media.

• Plus1 1
Just now, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

Not trying to be argumentative here but if they were suspended indefinitely BEFORE charges should be filed, what's the defense of Washington still playing AFTER charges were filed?

Because the allegations of what Hunt and Legrone did could be significantly more serious than what Mo is facing.  I understand Mo is currently being charged with a felony, but I expect his lawyers to work out a plea deal so that he only has a misdemeanor.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Because the allegations of what Hunt and Legrone did could be significantly more serious than what Mo is facing.  I understand Mo is currently being charged with a felony, but I expect his lawyers to work out a plea deal so that he only has a misdemeanor.

Bingo. And if that happens watch the story fly off into the sky like a husker balloon never to be seen again. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay. You don't agree with the decision to play him before the issue is settled in court. That is a legitimate opinion to have. I don't agree with it in this case but it's much better to simply admit that rather than trotting out quotes by the coach that do not apply to this specific situation and then using that quote as an example of why you feel it was handled in a hamfisted manner.

So basically you just don't believe our legal system is based on the premise of innocent until proven guilty. Or that there just might be shades of gray pertaining to teenagers lack of maturity or inappropriate use of social media.

Innocent until proven guilty has nothing to do with the privilege of playing on a football team. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I'm pretty sure there is the potential that a report of sexual assault could be made to the school and they begin Title IX investigations internally. Meanwhile the police department investigates and either declines to charge or the individual refuses to press charges after the initial report (happens a lot). So, the school could continue their investigation and determine a Title IX violation occurred or likely occurred and report that to Frost who decides to suspend the players.

Mo's case occurred before he was student and does not not include a student of UNL. So, I don't believe the school could or would investigate it independently as a Title IX violation and thus is waiting for the legal scenario to play out to determine punishment.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm pretty sure there is the potential that a report of sexual assault could be made to the school and they begin Title IX investigations internally. Meanwhile the police department investigates and either declines to charge or the individual refuses to press charges after the initial report (happens a lot). So, the school could continue their investigation and determine a Title IX violation occurred or likely occurred and report that to Frost who decides to suspend the players.

Mo's case occurred before he was student and does not not include a student of UNL. So, I don't believe the school could or would investigate it independently as a Title IX violation and thus is waiting for the legal scenario to play out to determine punishment.

Nicely done

25 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

It was a mistake suspending Mo for 1/2 game.  Either suspend him indefinitely or not at all.  The 1/2 game suspension can be portrayed as insufficient punishment for such an offense by disregarding that further punishment will happen once the legal issues are resolved.  I wouldn't have suspended him at all leaving people to speculate that the legal case against Mo is falling apart.  Once the legal process is done then hand out a punishment which if cleared, could include a short suspension for doing something that caused him to be charged, which happened while he was on the team.  I believe Frost would have suspended Mo indefinitely if he had committed the offense while part of the team regardless of how questionable the charges are.  I also believe Frost might kick him off the team if he is convicted of a felony.  This could go bad for Mo.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1