Another marijuana citation...

7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

There was no context other than @BRV920 saying that because pot is illegal, the players should not do it. 

So that's either a stupid opinion or a selective and inconsistent one that only applies to weed but with a bad argument.

I mean ... it's in a thread about marijuana.  So that would seem to be context.  

Also, he was replying to a post about guys smoking pot.  So that would seem to be context.

3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I could care less if these guys smoke pot. But. Stop. Getting. Caught!

3 hours ago, BRV920 said:

Respectfully disagree. These guys know the rules and what’s expected of them. At present pot is not legal in Nebraska, so don’t do it. 

So, like I said, you just ignored it so you could argue.

• Plus1 2

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... it's in a thread about marijuana.  So that would seem to be context.  

Also, he was replying to a post about guys smoking pot.  So that would seem to be context.

So, like I said, you just ignored it so you could argue.

If someone tells you not to do something and then gives you a reason as to why, I'm not sure how it's not fair to apply the same reason to not do other things. So, again, BRV either does have a problem with things based on the merit of them being illegal, such as people going over the speed limit, borrowing their friends netflix info and having generous tax write-offs, or he has an inconsistent view on what illegal things he does or does not care about, in which case, "Don't do it because it's illegal" isn't a good argument, or even one you really believe in as spoken.

So are you now abandoning your "no context" argument and just quickly pivoting to another attempt?

9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

If someone tells you not to do something and then gives you a reason as to why, I'm not sure how it's not fair to apply the same reason to not do other things. So, again, BRV either does have a problem with people going over the speed limit, borrowing their friends netflix info and having generous tax write-offs, or he has an inconsistent view on what illegal things he does or does not care about, in which case, "Don't do it because it's illegal" isn't a good argument, or even one you really believe in. 

Because ... wait ... I say this slowly ... not everything is exactly the same and not everything affects people the same way.  

Or do you have examples of athletes being disciplined/suspended for speeding, borrowing Netflix info, etc., etc., etc?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Or do you have examples of athletes being disciplined/suspended for speeding, borrowing Netflix info, etc., etc., etc?

Athletes being disciplined is a separate argument as to why people shouldn't do anything. Probably a better one, too, or at least one that would seem more logically consistent. "It's illegal in the state of Nebraska, and it's something there's a decent change of getting punished for which would hurt the team" would be a much more sensible rationale. 

I'm not making any argument. I'm hoping to get BRV to actually articulate what their real argument is.

Just now, Landlord said:

Athletes being disciplined is a separate argument as to why people shouldn't do anything. Probably a better one, too, or at least one that would seem more logically consistent. "It's illegal in the state of Nebraska, and it's something there's a decent change of getting punished for which would hurt the team" would be a much more sensible rationale. 

I'm not making any argument. I'm hoping to get BRV to actually articulate what their real argument is.

I'm pretty sure that's the point he's making.  Everyone else seems to have been able to figure that out.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm pretty sure that's the point he's making. 

That's fine, but that's an assumption on your part and very clearly not what his post said.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Everyone else seems to have been able to figure that out.

Nobody else has referenced or interacted with his post (at least that I can see as +1 reactions are  anonymous), so I don't understand who you're talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Nobody else has referenced or interacted with his post (at least that I can see as +1 reactions are  anonymous), so I don't understand who you're talking about. 

Everyone else who didn't feel the need to try to argue with him because it was pretty obvious what he was talking about.

I don't know if I draw much discrepancy between the opinions "it's illegal in Nebraska, so don't do it" vs. "it's illegal in Nebraska, and it's something that could hurt the team, so don't do it." At the very least, the disparity between the two feels meager.

I think we also have to be careful lumping some other 'illegal' activities into a vacuum with smoking pot. Sharing a Netlfix account or going over the speed limit by one MPH will a) likely not get you into trouble with police and b) is currently, objectively, not as serious of an offense as smoking pot. Some of the others mentioned are certainly bad and I imagine would also be frowned upon.

I think I said this before when Robinson was cited: personal beliefs aside, I think marijuana use is a bad idea if you're a Nebraska Cornhusker football player. Not only will getting caught put you in hot water, but some aspects of it can be harmful to an athlete's body.

5 hours ago, BRV920 said:

Respectfully disagree. These guys know the rules and what’s expected of them. At present pot is not legal in Nebraska, so don’t do it. 

They're also still kids basically but heck I'd rather having them puffing than drinking.  Still cheefin in the dorm room again of all places?!!!  

zn0gfl0f2gxa3ujhkken.png

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BRV920 said:

Neither is speeding!!!  Get em!

With that said...I don't know if they are all in the same dorm where this is happening but if it is...there is clearly a narc kid on the floor.

Shoot...I think I saw my RA about 3 times the one year I lived in the dorms...and he lived nextdoor to me.

3 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I am not condoning the use of illegal drugs (in Nebraska), but when did the campus police begin to target football players?  It was my experience that this was the other way around...

Pure Nazis.  About the same time we started frisking toddlers at the airport