BBS Upgrade Wednesday 8/28 at 10 AM

1 minute ago, CapoValley said:

It would be really awful if the points started over.  We’d have to judge each individual post on its own merit and people couldn’t point to an arbitrary, meaningless tally of ghost currency as some proof that their take has validity. 

Frankly I think we are all too busy for that 

Psh, easy for you to say, Mr. Ionlyhave18reppoints

Image result for aint nobody got time for that gif

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, WildBillMoos said:

So I looked and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was BigRedMax, and Xenforo followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, to kill with hunger, and to kill by the beasts of the earth.

Revelations, I think. 

Revelation (singular) - also known in some translations, such as the Douay-Rheims as Apocalypse which might be quite fitting as it applies to changes to this board's software.
Upgrades often go awry.

If I was taking over a new board, I think I would learn the ins and outs of it as it is before I made any big changes.
The ONLY reason it should be updated is if there is a code vulnerability in the existing version (of Invision) that might make the board an easy target for hackers. Even then, the solution is to upgrade to the latest version of Invision/PHP/MySQL to eliminate the vulnerabilty. Not change to an entirely different platform.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

WE LIKE THIS SITE THE WAY IT IS. Please don't offer advice how to change it.

Yeah, we like our circular avatars just the way they are, right @knapplc?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

So you are attempting to migrate from Invision (a php/mysql application) to Xenforo (a php/mysql application).

With this free program (sql buddy) and a database username/pw for READ ACCESS you can look at the database schema of both applications and figure out how to map the data. http://sqlbuddy.com/

Each user in Invision clearly has a database field that contains the "member's total reputation" and another database field that contains the total number of posts. It is just a matter of finding the corrosponding fields in Xenforo and importing from Invision to Xenforo.

In my opinion, this should be done with Xenforo installed on a completely different domain: whatever.com

Once you see that all has gone well and whatever.com looks the way you want, then you just point the domain name huskerboard.com over to the whatever.com and delete whatever.com.

For that matter, it could be done in a SUBFOLDER of huskerboard.com (huskerboard.com/xenforo/) and when the operation is complete just repoint huskerboard .com to /xenforo/ as the root folder. Everything else would remain the same underneath that.

I'd assume there are processes/batches that recalc this periodically versus just some sort of running total in which case without the original posts and their associated points you might be SOL.

I obviously missed something regarding board ownership...but if it has changed hands...think I can bring my bouncing boob avatar back?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know I'm not on this site much, but....honestly.....I just figured out about 10 minutes ago that your rep points show up under your name on the left.  Hmmm....who knew???   I don't think many people because I honestly don't remember anyone making a big deal about it till now.

Did you forget to switch to your burner account before posting this? :D

• Plus1 2