*** Official Illinois Game Thread ***

suh_fan93

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

FIRST HALF OBSERVATIONS:

• Nebraska's offense so far this year is Boom or Bust, there is no inbetween.
  • Great play calls with the designed direct snap to Washington. Similar to how Osborne used to call the same play to Phillips.
  • Adrian Martinez is at least 2 steps slower than he was last year. He is either slightly hurt or he just put on too much lower mass this offseason.
  • JD Spielman & Maurice Washinton are TOUGH-AS-NAILS.
  • The penalties were our own worst enemy.
  • Noa might be good receiver, but you have to catch that ball.
  • Illinois' defense while simple with it's Tampa-2 cover shell, are well coached, and tackle extremely well.

Things I'd like to see in the 2nd Half:

• This offense needs to start getting tweaked. We're not UCF going up against American Conference defenses, and we're not Oregon either. We are going up against big, physical Big 10 lines. This offense cannot live off of being Boom or Bust. It must begin to transition to find a way to get consistent yardage when it needs it the most.
  • Keep opening up the playbook Coach Frost. The players were playing faster and with more confidence towards the end of the half when the playbook started to open.
  • He might be shorter...he might be slower, but I would replace Noa with Kade Warner.
  • If there is something wrong with Adrian and he can't get the yards we need via his legs, than abandon the read-option game.
  • If Maurice Washington cannot come back into the game, than trust the O-line, and ride with Mills. Look for the Tight-Ends to be open in the 4th.

Great analysis.  You know me, I love the power run game.  UCF/Oregon own the uptempo speedy O.  Go with what NU was and needs to be.  The B1G is physical.  I see no Husker power in year 2....

Martinez is not looking good at all.  One game it's an anomaly.  4 games it's a problem and needs to be addressed.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, BigPeterJ said:

We have plenty of those.  Problem is our qb among others.  He stares down on ONE receiver for his entire route, doesnt read the defense, even on the read option he makes bad reads.  Seriously he looks like a different guy this year.....Taylor Martinez or Tommy Armstrong were SIGNIFICANTLY better than the way Adrian looks this year.  Sorry but thats the truth.  Im hopeful that he can become a great QB, and we know he has potential, but RIGHT NOW he is terrible. He hangs receivers out to dry also.  Spielman is gonna get hurt if this continues. Absolutely no way to sugarcoat it.

Jason? Is that you?