2020 Coaching Staff

7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is a question to ponder.  I know we are not yet finished with Season 2, but at this point I think we are lucky to finish 6-6.  With that said, if you compare Frost to his predecessor (Riley), who had the more successful first 2 seasons?  I realize there are different levels of talent at different positions (I would argue that our QB talent now is better than what Riley inherited, yet Riley inherited other parts better than Frost did), but I am curious how others are feeling.  

Wins and losses I think frost is worse than Riley and Callahan so far 

both those guys inherited better talent. 

43 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Here is a question to ponder.  I know we are not yet finished with Season 2, but at this point I think we are lucky to finish 6-6.  With that said, if you compare Frost to his predecessor (Riley), who had the more successful first 2 seasons?  I realize there are different levels of talent at different positions (I would argue that our QB talent now is better than what Riley inherited, yet Riley inherited other parts better than Frost did), but I am curious how others are feeling.  

Depending on how this season finishes up, obviously Riley was more successful.

But they weren't starting from the same place.

We have no decent QBs that Riley recruited

We have no decent RBs that Riley recruited

We have one good WR that Riley recruited

We have one good OT that Riley recruited

We have one decent interior OL that Riley recruited

None of the starting DL are Riley recruits

I'm not sure we even have one decent LB that Riley recruited

We have the few left-over Pelini recruits and what Frost was able to come up with in 13 months.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Regardless of record, Frost will have had the more successful first 2 seasons, because he's laying a foundation that a competitive program will be built on. Riley did not. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Depending on how this season finishes up, obviously Riley was more successful.

But they weren't starting from the same place.

We have no decent QBs that Riley recruited

We have no decent RBs that Riley recruited

We have one good WR that Riley recruited

We have one good OT that Riley recruited

We have one decent interior OL that Riley recruited

None of the starting DL are Riley recruits

I'm not sure we even have one decent LB that Riley recruited

We have the few left-over Pelini recruits and what Frost was able to come up with in 13 months.

Well Riley recruited some decent 4 star players too that may not have lived up to their potential. POB and Tristan Gebbia were better high school recruits per scouting services than Tommy Armstrong. And there were some 4 star O lineman like Farniok and Raridon and D players like Jackson and Dismuke that were brought in. 

I just believe the youth and inexperience of our current staff is starting to show. We have a head coach with 3 total seasons under his belt and one winning season that is on pace to not have another winning season if we finish 6-6 or worse. 

8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well Riley recruited some decent 4 star players too that may not have lived up to their potential. POB and Tristan Gebbia were better high school recruits per scouting services than Tommy Armstrong. And there were some 4 star O lineman like Farniok and Raridon and D players like Jackson and Dismuke that were brought in. 

I just believe the youth and inexperience of our current staff is starting to show. We have a head coach with 3 total seasons under his belt and one winning season that is on pace to not have another winning season if we finish 6-6 or worse. 

So listing guys that aren't good enough to play here is your counter-argument to the cupboard being bare?

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So listing guys that aren't good enough to play here is your counter-argument to the cupboard being bare?

giphy.gif

No and as I stated at the beginning you can never do an apples to apples comparison in these situations, but at the end of the day I expected more out of Frost and his staff, and I expected his team to be performing better in Year 2 than how the team was playing to end Year 1. We are playing worse now than at the end of 2018 and I am not sure many would debate that.

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

No and as I stated at the beginning you can never do an apples to apples comparison in these situations, but at the end of the day I expected more out of Frost and his staff, and I expected his team to be performing better in Year 2 than how the team was playing to end Year 1. We are playing worse now than at the end of 2018 and I am not sure many would debate that.

That's fine.  But that's a completely different argument than you started with.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

That's fine.  But that's a completely different argument than you started with.

The question I posed was a personal assessment of how everyone is feeling about the team in year 2 of Frost relative to Riley and who has been more successful. The reason for asking is that it felt like we saw progress in Season 2 for Riley...and we are seeing the team regress in Season 2 of Frost. We could easily be 2-6 now.

Why compare a coach who coached for 2 decades and maintained barely a .500 record? We fired two coaches who averaged 9 wins a year for 6 or  7 years and now we want to compare coaches................wow.  The evolution of our fanbase is something to behold.  We went 7-6 with Solich after Crouch and co left.  Win 9 games the next season and fire him for being mediocre.  Fire Pelini after winning 8 or more games almost every season.....now were struggling to win 5 games and its all on Frost and his staff?  Our discontent for winning 9 games and not being relevant against Wisky and or Ohio St has led this program to not being relevant against Indiana and other perennial bottom feeders.  So yeah, firing coordinators and other staff members really won't be the answer right now.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The question I posed was a personal assessment of how everyone is feeling about the team in year 2 of Frost relative to Riley and who has been more successful. The reason for asking is that it felt like we saw progress in Season 2 for Riley...and we are seeing the team regress in Season 2 of Frost. We could easily be 2-6 now.

This is the key.  It might have felt like progress to some.  But it really wasn't.

We also are pretty close to 6-2.  Riley won those game in year two.  Frost hasn't.  Riley played a bunch of teams with crappy offenses in year two, and we hung around and got wins.  We were actually a worse team in Riley Year 2 but the record looked pretty good.

I don't blame anyone for being disappointed.  I'm pretty disappointed as well.  

But we've actually come a long ways in two years.  It just felt like we should have come farther after the way we finished last year.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

That "progress" in year 2 under Riley was pretty misleading.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Dude is a G5 coach in over his head right now. We need to see Scott make the difficult choice, fire him, and go out and get a Good D coordinator IE Greg Mattison or Brent Venables.

I don't see us landing either of those guys but we can damn well do better than Chin. The sooner we recognize that we have a G5 staff and need to upgrade to a P5 staff the better. 

4 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I don't see us landing either of those guys but we can damn well do better than Chin. The sooner we recognize that we have a G5 staff and need to upgrade to a P5 staff the better. 

That would be the problem with firing chin the fans probably wont have heard of the guy they replace him with. People who just want a big name they've heard of are going to be disappointed. Guys like steele, venables or grinch that are already making a million a year at schools where they'll never have to worry about a rebuild aren't going to come to Nebraska. If and thats a big if nebraska moves on from any coach they'll most likely be replaced by a coach the fans don't know.

With That being said fire chin. I didn't expect this defense to be lights out by year two but it should at least be better. Frost and moos have seen enough to know which coaches are good enough and he's not good enough.

37 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

How'd that season 3 under Riley work out?

And "ironically" he finished his Nebraska career. .500