2020 Coaching Staff

I don’t want to see any coaching changes unless Frost makes them.  I am tired of the constant turnover since Osborne retired.

we used to point out with pride that our assistant coaches had been in the staff for many years.  The coaches will improve their knowledge of the game, coaching, teaching fundamentals and schemes, and recruiting year over year.  I think our current OCs have made some mistakes but will improve over time.  

Many people say fire the coach it will be better.  We fired Solich and Bohl- both have gone on to become great coaches elsewhere.  Even Callahan has done well as an assistant in the NFL.  The head coach is important but mix and combined effort of coach and his staff is what really counts.  Personalities and group dynamics  are critical.

Today near the end of the game, there was a running play with the line and backs running right with an inside handoff to a back running inside to the left.  A pulling blocker went ahead of the ball carrier.  He turned upfield into a good lane left of center.  He also ran right by a tackler moving toward the hole.  He had to have seen him but never touched him.  The result was a tackle for no gain and a killed drive when we really needed it.  The staff did a great job drawing up the play and making the call BUT one blocker failed to do his job.  This offense has suffered from this problem all year.  Is this a coaching problem or a player problem?  Probably both both the coaches need to take lead.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

If nebraska got rid of a coach they're not required to hire a bad coach in fact any coach nebraska would fire is probably a bad coach already. 

Chin is bad at his job. Dewitt is bad at his job. How many years before they learn how to do their job? Can you guarantee Chin will ever be a good dc? he hasn't at any place he's been. 

I'm not sure how the politics work behind the scenes for Nebraska football or how much power Moos has or Frost has when it comes to hiring and firing.  But when you have a 5 million a year coach and you're building a 150 million dollar facility to compete with the big boys is a coach who is learning on the job the guy you want leading the defense? Chin isn't a good investment for the future of Nebraska football.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I completely agree with lumberjack. Chin looks clueless. This team has absolutely no identity. We get beat by one dimensional teams all the time. Indiana had no running game yet they beat us passing the ball and our secondary did a piss poor job adjusting to plays that you can see coming from 20 miles. Chin and Dewitt are not good coaches. His defense this year is worse than last years. How can that be when you arguably have more of your recruits this year than last year. If you can’t make half time adjustments and stop the bleeding by a lesser opponent, that simply means you are incompetent at your job. Chin is simply incompetent and will never succeed in the BIG. The sooner Frost realizes this the better for husker nation. Also, Frost should be loyal to the husker program that is paying his big fat salary and not his incompetent coaches who he refuses to even question. He never once in his presser imply that may be the coaches are not doing what needs to be done. If the coaches can’t inspire their players and they have to depend on other players to do the inspiring, may be we are paying the wrong people. 

I am 1000% sure that Frost has much higher expectations from his team but the buck stops with him. He needs to get them where he wants them to be. If he can’t Do that then he needs to admit that he is way over his head or he needs to get a competent supporting cast. There are many teams that have made great strides with new coaches. Minnie is 8-0 with a new coach. Oregon is 7-1 and ranked 11th with a new coach. Florida is top ten team with a new coach. Let us stop blaming Riley and may be consider that these coaches have lost control of this team. Next year’s schedule is brutal and I seriously doubt we will be in a better place if chin and Dewitt are still coaching. They have showed zero ability to coach their players. We are getting really tired of mediocrity. Are we ever going to beat a top ten team? Kansas state did it. Illinois did it. Why can’t we?

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is the key.  It might have felt like progress to some.  But it really wasn't.

We also are pretty close to 6-2.  Riley won those game in year two.  Frost hasn't.  Riley played a bunch of teams with crappy offenses in year two, and we hung around and got wins.  We were actually a worse team in Riley Year 2 but the record looked pretty good.

I don't blame anyone for being disappointed.  I'm pretty disappointed as well.  

But we've actually come a long ways in two years.  It just felt like we should have come farther after the way we finished last year.

I am hoping your last paragraph is accurate. After the past few weeks I am seeing more signs of regression than progression. In 2018 we seemed to lose many close games and easily could have finished with 2 or 3 more wins...and we have found a way to win some of those close ones this year against NW and IL which may be some progress. 

5 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I completely agree with lumberjack. Chin looks clueless. This team has absolutely no identity. We get beat by one dimensional teams all the time. Indiana had no running game yet they beat us passing the ball and our secondary did a piss poor job adjusting to plays that you can see coming from 20 miles. Chin and Dewitt are not good coaches. His defense this year is worse than last years. How can that be when you arguably have more of your recruits this year than last year. If you can’t make half time adjustments and stop the bleeding by a lesser opponent, that simply means you are incompetent at your job. Chin is simply incompetent and will never succeed in the BIG. The sooner Frost realizes this the better for husker nation. Also, Frost should be loyal to the husker program that is paying his big fat salary and not his incompetent coaches who he refuses to even question. He never once in his presser imply that may be the coaches are not doing what needs to be done. If the coaches can’t inspire their players and they have to depend on other players to do the inspiring, may be we are paying the wrong people. 

I am 1000% sure that Frost has much higher expectations from his team but the buck stops with him. He needs to get them where he wants them to be. If he can’t Do that then he needs to admit that he is way over his head or he needs to get a competent supporting cast. There are many teams that have made great strides with new coaches. Minnie is 8-0 with a new coach. Oregon is 7-1 and ranked 11th with a new coach. Florida is top ten team with a new coach. Let us stop blaming Riley and may be consider that these coaches have lost control of this team. Next year’s schedule is brutal and I seriously doubt we will be in a better place if chin and Dewitt are still coaching. They have showed zero ability to coach their players. We are getting really tired of mediocrity. Are we ever going to beat a top ten team? Kansas state did it. Illinois did it. Why can’t we?

Spot on. We actually have a much more favorable schedule this year than we did last year and that we do next year. We have seen Baylors new coach turn around that program quickly after it was a dumpster fire, and we have watched Fleck turn Minnesota around in Year 2. Flecks success in his 3rd year will actually increase the pressure and comparisons for Frost in 2020.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, Decked said:

I think people are forgetting how bare Austin inherited the OL from Cav. Yes, they suck a$$ currently. It’s the second year after they lost 3 former starters and lost a starting C going into last year. Look at the friggin depth they had coming into this year. It takes years to sometimes develop OL/DL into starter material. Of the older guys besides Bando (who isn’t that old himself) WHO is actually worth playing? 

Look at the youth behind these guys that Austin will have to roll with next year. Depth is coming. But these kids need some S/C and reps first. 

Benhart, Banks, Anderson, Fritsche, Lynn, Piper & little Farniok.  

2020 class: Corcoran (4* OT), Conn (OT 3*)

Building depth in the offensive line is the only way to get them to where they need to be.  They need to continue to bring in good offensive lineman (scholarship or walk-on) and develop them.  

In the glory days of Husker football, you rarely saw and offensive lineman play before he was a junior.  That is why they called it the Pipeline, because they kept developing these guys and they were ready to play after about 3 years.  This is one reason Scott Frost wants his roster to be at 150+ players.  

• Plus1 2

The OL is not bare and never was.  We have just as many scholarship OL players as other teams in the B1G.  We also have 3 returning starters from last year.   I think our weaknesses on the OL is having a RsFr at C that isn't making the right line calls and a So. guard that is not very good at all.    

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, URSS said:

I don’t want to see any coaching changes unless Frost makes them.  I am tired of the constant turnover since Osborne retired.

we used to point out with pride that our assistant coaches had been in the staff for many years.  The coaches will improve their knowledge of the game, coaching, teaching fundamentals and schemes, and recruiting year over year.  I think our current OCs have made some mistakes but will improve over time.  

Many people say fire the coach it will be better.  We fired Solich and Bohl- both have gone on to become great coaches elsewhere.  Even Callahan has done well as an assistant in the NFL.  The head coach is important but mix and combined effort of coach and his staff is what really counts.  Personalities and group dynamics  are critical.

Today near the end of the game, there was a running play with the line and backs running right with an inside handoff to a back running inside to the left.  A pulling blocker went ahead of the ball carrier.  He turned upfield into a good lane left of center.  He also ran right by a tackler moving toward the hole.  He had to have seen him but never touched him.  The result was a tackle for no gain and a killed drive when we really needed it.  The staff did a great job drawing up the play and making the call BUT one blocker failed to do his job.  This offense has suffered from this problem all year.  Is this a coaching problem or a player problem?  Probably both both the coaches need to take lead.

Listening to Frost again list lack of player buy-in and play execution as post game excuses makes me want to vomit. Those are coaching duties.