Attrition apparently already starting.

Cdog923

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

There's argument for the dline, but I don't think it's a given. It's tough to compare different position groups - way easier to notice a DB's mistake than a dlineman, a lot of times we don't even know what the lineman's responsibilities are on a given play. The safeties are not playing better, they were both pretty bad against Minnesota overall.

I'd probably group them, like I said above it's tough to compare across postion groups. I think Darrion, Jojo, and Lamar have been our best 3 with Taylor-Britt and Stille/Davis twins not far behind. But I feel like Jojo has been disappearing a little bit, probably as teams adjust to how we're using him. And Khalil is probably on thin ice, a stupid personal foul your first game after being suspended is a bad look.

Jackson is not a good tackler, this is true. But I don't think he's any worse than our other corners for tackling, and his coverage has been by far the best this year. He's definitely blown a few, but so have the other guys.

Better than Bootle? Absolutely. I don't think he is good either. 

5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Better than Bootle? Absolutely. I don't think he is good either. 

Yeah good point, we don't play a lot of corners so it's pretty much him or Bootle. But better than Bootle, and better than Taylor-Britt/Dismuke/Domann/Clark when they have been covering receivers. Obviously expected for Domann and Dismuke, they shouldn't be expected to absolutely lock down receivers in their roles. Seems like Bootle technically covers fairly well, but just never makes a play on the ball.

7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

It is an accurate statement to say that Riley's record is a direct result of the previous staff's ability to develop players. 

It is also an accurate statement to say that Frost's record is a direct result of the previous staff's ability to develop players. 

I don't think you're using the word 'directly' 100% properly here.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

There's argument for the dline, but I don't think it's a given. It's tough to compare different position groups - way easier to notice a DB's mistake than a dlineman, a lot of times we don't even know what the lineman's responsibilities are on a given play. The safeties are not playing better, they were both pretty bad against Minnesota overall.

I'd probably group them, like I said above it's tough to compare across postion groups. I think Darrion, Jojo, and Lamar have been our best 3 with Taylor-Britt and Stille/Davis twins not far behind. But I feel like Jojo has been disappearing a little bit, probably as teams adjust to how we're using him. And Khalil is probably on thin ice, a stupid personal foul your first game after being suspended is a bad look.

Jackson is not a good tackler, this is true. But I don't think he's any worse than our other corners for tackling, and his coverage has been by far the best this year. He's definitely blown a few, but so have the other guys.

again, i'd say when opponents are running away from an entire position group and running towards a specific player, and basing entire drives and concepts on said player, that's an objective indication that said player is an exploitable weakness for the team.

18 minutes ago, thatguy said:

again, i'd say when opponents are running away from an entire position group and running towards a specific player, and basing entire drives and concepts on said player, that's an objective indication that said player is an exploitable weakness for the team.

I'd have to see the numbers proving they are running at Jackson. They're absolutely running to the edges, but I think they're happy running left or right regardless of who we have on the edge. And running away from the dline does show it's a strength (or the rest of the D being a weakness), but stopping the run isn't everything. I haven't been impressed with our dline pass rushing for a while.

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I'd have to see the numbers proving they are running at Jackson. They're absolutely running to the edges, but I think they're happy running left or right regardless of who we have on the edge. And running away from the dline does show it's a strength (or the rest of the D being a weakness), but stopping the run isn't everything. I haven't been impressed with our dline pass rushing for a while.

this isn’t about “numbers”. If you watch the tape, it’s clear as day.

about the d-lines pass rush, it’s a 3-4. You have to view their performance in light of what they are being asked to do. If you cannot objectively say that most of the dline players have played better than Lamar, you’re just not being objective.  

you don’t have to agree. You can like Lamar Jackson, and you are free to think that he is truly a first rounder. That’s fine too. But don’t be that person that just rejects the ability to be objective. It makes discussions worthless. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, thatguy said:

this isn’t about “numbers”. If you watch the tape, it’s clear as day.

about the d-lines pass rush, it’s a 3-4. You have to view their performance in light of what they are being asked to do. If you cannot objectively say that most of the dline players have played better than Lamar, you’re just not being objective.  

you don’t have to agree. You can like Lamar Jackson, and you are free to think that he is truly a first rounder. That’s fine too. But don’t be that person that just rejects the ability to be objective. It makes discussions worthless. 

I don't agree that one person's eye test is objective, sorry. Not exactly measurable, is it? And I'm not necessarily disagreeing the D line has played better, I said there's at least an argument. It's just difficult to compare because they are doing different jobs. And I get that it's a 3-4, if we had an edge rusher it would be a different story. But they need some push inside, and it hasn't been there a lot recently. 

I totally recognize I can be an obnoxious person to talk to, and I probably get a little too riled up on Jackson because some fans seem to want him to fail. Also, I'm kind of proud to be accused of being "that person" by a person called 'that guy.' :cheers

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Jackson sucks so bad he is gonna be our first 1st round draft pick since what, Suh? I mean seriously, y'all can say whatever you want about Jackson but he seems to do well with people who evaluate cornerback play for a living. 

I can't find the stuff atm but he's like top 10 in the country in coverage, passes defended and what not. Tackling is still his weakness, Gary Sharp ripped him after Minnesota.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

I can't find the stuff atm but he's like top 10 in the country in coverage, passes defended and what not. Tackling is still his weakness, Gary Sharp ripped him after Minnesota.

Right. He isn't a run defender but as a pass defender he is very good and the NFL is always on the hunt for very good pass defenders. 

Thanks for bringing him in, Mike. Without Lamar our corner depth would be tragically bad. I guess Braxton Clark would start but he is not ready for that yet.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Right. He isn't a run defender but as a pass defender he is very good and the NFL is always on the hunt for very good pass defenders. 

Thanks for bringing him in, Mike. Without Lamar our corner depth would be tragically bad. I guess Braxton Clark would start but he is not ready for that yet.

Thanks, current staff, for encouraging the kid to lose the attitude and stick it out - and for developing him into a draft pick, because he wasn't one when Riley was here.

• Fire 1