Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

10 hours ago, runningblind said:

Why do folks continue to do this?  We can't even get to a bowl right now, have won 13 games in the last 3 years combined, and you see potential for 10-2 in 2021 with that schedule?

Because we are fans and that's what fans do.  And it's perfectly fine if fans do that.  Being optimistic about your team is OK for people to do.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because we are fans and that's what fans do.  And it's perfectly fine if fans do that.  Being optimistic about your team is OK for people to do.

I have a long history of being the overly optimistic one,  I get it. However, my opinion is that optimism right now looks like 7-5, 10-2 is just in outer space.  To each their own.  :cheers

13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I have a long history of being the overly optimistic one,  I get it. However, my opinion is that optimism right now looks like 7-5, 10-2 is just in outer space.  To each their own.  :cheers

First of all....obviously the poster you quoted was either drinking heavily or not quite all there.  We don't play 12 games this year and we don't play Oklahoma.  

But...to the point you commented on.  He didn't say we were going to go 10-2.  He said there were only two games that were sure losses.  that means we could lose more, but we also have a chance to win those games.  

It is pretty bad that we are for sure going to lose to Oklahoma when we don't even play them.  But...hey....strange things happen.  :cheers

EDIT:::::  My bad.  I didn't realize everyone was talking about 2021.  I thought people were talking about 2020.  Sorry....carry on.

PS....my point about 2 sure losses and the rest having a chance at winning still stands.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

First of all....obviously the poster you quoted was either drinking heavily or not quite all there.  We don't play 12 games this year and we don't play Oklahoma.  

But...to the point you commented on.  He didn't say we were going to go 10-2.  He said there were only two games that were sure losses.  that means we could lose more, but we also have a chance to win those games.  

It is pretty bad that we are for sure going to lose to Oklahoma when we don't even play them.  But...hey....strange things happen.  :cheers

They were talking about next season.

13 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

Shutter as in you’re worried? I look at next years schedule and see the only 2 games I see as pretty much guaranteed loses are Oklahoma and Ohio State. I’d take a 10-2 season right now. Hell I’d even take a 9-3 (added lose to Michigan) or 8-4 ( add Wisconsin as another loss). That would be a huge stride for the program 

I'm apparently really bad with the "multi quote" function...

Edit: I don't feel quite as dumb now.  The ad at the bottom of the page was blocking the "quote 3 posts" button.  Has anyone here actually purchased anything from an ad they've seen here?  It would be a lot less frustrating if I was as least getting ads for stuff I'd be interested in...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Toe said:

Was there some O-lineman that you felt inspired a level of confidence comparable to JD or Wandale? Because I sure don't remember seeing any.

So basically, your argument is that at one point in the season the OL (which IIRC wasn't too bad for injuries) was losing us games, and at another point in the season the WRs (who got banged up) were losing us games, and therefore WRs bad? Alrighty then.

I think you need to sit down and rewatch last season and you are putting words in my mouth. By the end of last season the WRs were losing us games because of their inability to make plays and stay on the field. That hurts the play calling, the quarterbacks confidence, the tempo, and the defensive time on field. Spielman and Wandale were great, but they were injured frequently. No one else stepped up. For a team with a high tempo offense that leads to losses and it shows on the scoreboard and on the stat sheet. There’s a reason Walters got replaced.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, runningblind said:

You're doing the same thing. I get the sentiment, I have done the same thing for years up until this one, but you're still making leaps about being able to win one score games and the recruited talent actually having developed into a 10 win team when we just haven't seen it yet. There have been reasons that NU loses those one play or one score games and I need to see it on the field before I even start to expect 7 or 8 wins again.  There have been two 10 win seasons since I started college in 2003, 17 years ago. Those were in a much easier conference than the Big Ten is right now, and then you add in a top 5 non conference opponent to boot.  I just don't see it, especially if there ends up being no football this year and all this young talent cannot develop further.

Yes there are factors why a team losses closse games - but sometimes it's just a coin flip (example WR is open and the QB sees him and/or hits him with a proper pass - those are more flippy then inherit issue  ) flipping a coin 10 times doesn't always hit 5-5 and a 3-7 or 2-8 doesn't make the next group of ten anymore or less likely to be 8-2.

Game experience is important but time is way more important then actual games when developing depth - I would prefer both but to say that 12 months of no games doesn't allow depth to develop is falling short on reality.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

I think you need to sit down and rewatch last season and you are putting words in my mouth. By the end of last season the WRs were losing us games because of their inability to make plays and stay on the field. That hurts the play calling, the quarterbacks confidence, the tempo, and the defensive time on field. Spielman and Wandale were great, but they were injured frequently. No one else stepped up. For a team with a high tempo offense that leads to losses and it shows on the scoreboard and on the stat sheet. There’s a reason Walters got replaced.

I think you're making a good case. I'm still in the camp of the OL being the biggest thing that hurt us last year offensively, though. It was systemic, and pass blocking was severely lacking. I'd pinpoint the Minnesota & Iowa games as two good examples of overall bad O-line play.

Surprisingly, our run blocking was actually unbelievably good against Wisconsin - do you guys remember those holes Mills had to run through??

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think you're making a good case. I'm still in the camp of the OL being the biggest thing that hurt us last year offensively, though. It was systemic, and pass blocking was severely lacking. I'd pinpoint the Minnesota & Iowa games as two good examples of overall bad O-line play.

Surprisingly, our run blocking was actually unbelievably good against Wisconsin - do you guys remember those holes Mills had to run through??

Yea we had nice runs but my hunch was that may have been more of some ify defensive scheming/play by wiscy.   Maybe some good play calls at a few times too?   I think Wiscy

thot they could focus on pass defense and we caught them out of position half a dozen times.  I am mostly guessing and maybe I am being a tad critical.  I like to find the positives but in this case Wiscy didnt play their normal game for whatever reasons.  

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yea we had nice runs but my hunch was that may have been more of some ify defensive scheming/play by wiscy.   Maybe some good play calls at a few times too?   I think Wiscy

thot they could focus on pass defense and we caught them out of position half a dozen times.  I am mostly guessing and maybe I am being a tad critical.  I like to find the positives but in this case Wiscy didnt play their normal game for whatever reasons.  

I don't remember it that way, honestly. I remember Mills committing to running straight downhill and the line creating holes for him.

But - against good competition, this game was an anomaly in terms of good run blocking, unfortunately. If we played every game like that, it's a 9-3 season.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Didn't we shuffle some guys around for that game? Maybe due to injury?