The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What was inaccurate about Fauci and Trump in the Tweet you posted.

Trump said A (scientifically incorrect)

Fauci said B (emotionally hard to hear but scientifically correct)

Fauci describes why he says A and Trump says B.  Which according to Fauci is because he's a scientist and Trump's job is to try and make people feel good even though it isn't scientifically proven.

CNN: Fauci goes out of his own belief system to rationalize why the president says things that aren't scientifically true.

So that CNN headline is garbage....

What Trump is saying is... they're encouraged by some anecdotal results of using a malaria drug along with another iirc. And he's saying that if someone is in critical condition with coronavirus, if they choose to do so, they could & should be able to try it.

Fauci isn't saying he's wrong. He's just saying it's not clinically proven yet, and that's his job to not recommend it until it's proven through studies. 

There's nothing wrong with what Trump has said about hydroxychloroquine 

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sure they do...I think everyone should get the same amount.

But if the choices are get 1,200 or get nothing...I want 1,200...so I want it to pass.

If option B is everyone gets 1,200 (and it just takes an extra day or two) fantastic!  I am fine with that.  I just don't want to get zero.

What if you'd get nothing in this bill? Then what would you think?

The point of voting against the bill is to stop the Repubs from doing stupid stuff like not giving money to the poor or lower middle class or giving bailouts to corporations with no strings attached.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What if you'd get nothing in this bill? Then what would you think?

The point of voting against the bill is to stop the Repubs from doing stupid stuff like not giving money to the poor or lower middle class or giving bailouts to corporations with no strings attached.

I would think it sucks.

I am one of those weirdos that is happy when I get free money.  

I am like Dire Straits...I like my money for nothing

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

So that CNN headline is garbage....

What Trump is saying is... they're encouraged by some anecdotal results of using a malaria drug along with another iirc. And he's saying that if someone is in critical condition with coronavirus, if they choose to do so, they could & should be able to try it.

Fauci isn't saying he's wrong. He's just saying it's not clinically proven yet, and that's his job to not recommend it until it's proven through studies. 

There's nothing wrong with what Trump has said about hydroxychloroquine 

I didn't see a headline...

From the Tweet: "The president was trying to bring hope to the people" -- here's Dr. Fauci on CBS going to painstaking lengths to avoid rebuking President Trump for touting unproven and dangerous drugs that he thinks could work as coronavirus treatments"

What about this is untrue?  The President from a position of giving out trustworthy medical info gave one version, his Dr. in charge gave another.  The Dr. tried to explain, outside of his belief system, why.  

How does this make our current situation worse?  Will more get infected?  Will the stock markets plummet more?  Will it rain tomorrow?  How does this Tweet make things worse.  Does it make it better?: might be a stretch.  But it in no way makes our current situation worse.  The point of this whole discussion.

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I didn't see a headline...

From the Tweet: "The president was trying to bring hope to the people" -- here's Dr. Fauci on CBS going to painstaking lengths to avoid rebuking President Trump for touting unproven and dangerous drugs that he thinks could work as coronavirus treatments"

What about this is untrue?  The President from a position of giving out trustworthy medical info gave one version, his Dr. in charge gave another.  The Dr. tried to explain, outside of his belief system, why.  

How does this make our current situation worse?  Will more get infected?  Will the stock markets plummet more?  Will it rain tomorrow?  How does this Tweet make things worse.  Does it make it better?: might be a stretch.  But it in no way makes our current situation worse.  The point of this whole discussion.

I think we're off the rails of the original discussion, but i adamantly disagree with you and CNN on this assessment of the Trump-Fauci dynamic. 

Also: unproven and dangerous drugs :facepalm:

It would be people literally in critical condition on their death bed from the virus who would potentially try it. 

Again, there are plenty of things to criticize Trump for. This is not one

45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is on the list of "worst responses"...

Remember, it is a message board.  You are not defending your thesis while trying to earn your PhD

I'm not asking for anything super in-depth or a works cited page.

I just want him to give some concrete examples of what he's talking about to see if it's for real or if he's just whining to whine. Because people have been playing this "X gets treated unfairly by the media" game for a long time now.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I think we're off the rails of the original discussion, but i adamantly disagree with you and CNN on this assessment of the Trump-Fauci dynamic. 

It would be people literally in critical condition on their death bed from the virus who would potentially try it. 

You claimed the media is making this situation "worse", 100x over.

Yet you can't tell us why.  Does every story "help": no. This Tweet would be an example of that, but I don't see how it made the situation 'worse".  But you said it made things "100x worse", how?

I would love to hear.  Sounds like someone caught a soundbite and isn't prepared to explain the "why"...

7 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'm not asking for anything super in-depth or a works cited page.

I just want him to give some concrete examples of what he's talking about to see if it's for real or if he's just whining to whine. Because people have been playing this "X gets treated unfairly by the media" game for a long time now.

No, I get it...but he is saying how he feels about it.  There is no link for that, it is how it makes him feel.  He feels like it causes a problem, that the media isn't being fair (or whatever he said exactly) . 

Look, it like when NU is playing OSU and NU is getting 21.5 points and we all sit there and post about how we "think" and "feel" that the Huskers will win...

And I will leave you with this...Every President of the US has been treated unfairly by the media, we all know that.  There has always been one person/people/outlet in the media that has treated every President unfairly...and it will never stop.  You know that.

Hell...if you have more than one kid...you treat one of them "unfairly" compared to the other...this is just normal parts of life.  You don't need a link for that.

7 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Are you saying CNN said this?

Also, the headline says exactly what the Doc said. That Trump's claims are anecdotal. Which is the definition of unsubstantiated...

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, I get it...but he is saying how he feels about it.  There is no link for that, it is how it makes him feel.  He feels like it causes a problem, that the media isn't being fair (or whatever he said exactly) . 

Look, it like when NU is playing OSU and NU is getting 21.5 points and we all sit there and post about how we "think" and "feel" that the Huskers will win...

And I will leave you with this...Every President of the US has been treated unfairly by the media, we all know that.  There has always been one person/people/outlet in the media that has treated every President unfairly...and it will never stop.  You know that.

And we're just doing our part to help that person step back from the ledge...

You also see this in every Gameday Discussion board thread...

55 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sure they do...I think everyone should get the same amount.

But if the choices are get 1,200 or get nothing...I want 1,200...so I want it to pass.

If option B is everyone gets 1,200 (and it just takes an extra day or two) fantastic!  I am fine with that.  I just don't want to get zero.

They will pass something but I'm glad we didn't get this first option because it doesn't help the people who need it. They will hammer something out