The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

On 3/19/2020 at 11:40 PM, Landlord said:

I've heard from four different people with friends/family in the government to expect a nationwide lockdown with no travel or leaving home except for emergencies starting either monday or sometime early next week.

Late response here so my apologies (and maybe somebody has posted about this as well) but two days after you posted this someone I know looped me into an email chain with a 'trusted' friend of his who knows someone that works for homeland security. This person was saying that the national guard was being mobilized for basically what you're describing.

At this point, I don't know how much truth there is to it, particularly since there haven't been any announcements about it yet today. I imagine that something to that level has always been a part of a severe contingency plan but I haven't heard anything about it besides gossip which makes me think (for now at least) it's some sort of practical joke making the rounds.

But, like I said, it may not be. It's one of those things I've chosen to not pay any attention to until it comes from more than one reliable news source.

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, I think that is what the said.

At our last staff meeting when they shared "work from home" expectations one of our administrators mentioned that we might be back in normal session for the last couple weeks of the year.

The volume of groans and snorts about brought the building down!

Could you imagine trying to hold a productive class that last 2 weeks?  I mean kids are already checked out by then the way it is!

2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

At our last staff meeting when they shared "work from home" expectations one of our administrators mentioned that we might be back in normal session for the last couple weeks of the year.

The volume of groans and snorts about brought the building down!

Could you imagine trying to hold a productive class that last 2 weeks?  I mean kids are already checked out by then the way it is!

Ha!

There would be a riot!

By the way, teachers make the worst group to have a meeting with!  Ha

12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Late response here so my apologies (and maybe somebody has posted about this as well) but two days after you posted this someone I know looped me into an email chain with a 'trusted' friend of his who knows someone that works for homeland security. This person was saying that the national guard was being mobilized for basically what you're describing.

At this point, I don't know how much truth there is to it, particularly since there haven't been any announcements about it yet today. I imagine that something to that level has always been a part of a severe contingency plan but I haven't heard anything about it besides gossip which makes me think (for now at least) it's some sort of practical joke making the rounds.

But, like I said, it may not be. It's one of those things I've chosen to not pay any attention to until it comes from more than one reliable news source.

My friends in the national guard say it was medical and service guard members. They reported last friday by midnight (or noon, idk, is was 12 sometime last friday) is what I've unofficially heard

6 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

My friends in the national guard say it was medical and service guard members. They reported last friday at midnight is what I've unofficially heard

Thanks for sharing! Seems reasonable.

This email chain was making it sound like they were being mobilized to literally guard the streets, prevent looting, etc, during this nationwide lockdown. Seemed a bit outlandish but hey... we never know.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Thanks for sharing! Seems reasonable.

This email chain was making it sound like they were being mobilized to literally guard the streets, prevent looting, etc, during this nationwide lockdown. Seemed a bit outlandish but hey... we never know.

I think preventing looting with the National Guard as a supplement to law enforcement isn't a bad idea. It puts the troops out there when we're all sheltering in place, so they can get the virus.

23 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is just a disaster. Epic disaster.

If you vote for Trump in 2020, you are a bad person. Period.

there will be millions that do just that...you will have some in your social circle, or your family.

best start cutting ties now 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think preventing looting with the National Guard as a supplement to law enforcement isn't a bad idea.

Agreed. I think what caught me off guard (no pun intended) about it was that I wasn't hearing any rumors/rumblings about it in the press or on social media. I think a national lockdown would practically demand national guard/military support; otherwise, local law enforcement would be more over-burdened than current.

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Agreed. I think what caught me off guard (no pun intended) about it was that I wasn't hearing any rumors/rumblings about it in the press or on social media. I think a national lockdown would practically demand national guard/military support; otherwise, local law enforcement would be more over-burdened than current.

There’s been rumors of a lockdown for weeks. National Guard will obviously be involved in disaster relief, just like if a tornado ripped through the city. I think the national govt is leaving it up to local officials as far as lockdowns. This is gonna look different in Omaha then it does in NYC, one size fits all requirements for the entire country just don’t make sense. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Can you imagine what it will be like if looting does start?

It will be the most social media'ed thing ever.

Yup.  And the media will play clips of it non stop to encourage others to do it as well so they have more clips to play.

• Fire 1
8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

There’s been rumors of a lockdown for weeks. National Guard will obviously be involved in disaster relief, just like if a tornado ripped through the city. I think the national govt is leaving it up to local officials as far as lockdowns. This is gonna look different in Omaha then it does in NYC, one size fits all requirements for the entire country just don’t make sense. 

I disagree. Why wait until it is infecting a place to shut it down? We are behind on testing and containment across the board. Best way to catch up is shut it all down and ramp up focus solely on testing, ppe, ect. All of that said I doubt it will happen. Trump seems to want to get people back to work asap in a desperate attempt to save the markets. It's a bad plan but it seems that's where we are headed 

8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don't know if it would be so different, to be honest. I believe many of the most important restrictions could be applied pretty amicably in a nationwide emergency i.e. a complete shut down of non-essential businesses and a shelter-in-place order. Boston announced a shut down of non-essential businesses today through Apr. 7, but they're including quite a lot in the 'essential businesses' category including restaurants for takeout only. You're also allowed to go to grocery stores, get gas, etc.

• Plus1 1