The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

18 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I don't want to downplay their success...truly...but just to point out that New Zealand has a total population of about 4.5 million.  On that graph, the higher the population figures, corresponds to higher confirmed cases.

Except China of course...but we all know that is BS 

They still had a leader who knew what to do and took action immediately.

Australia appears to have a leader who is more interested in public safety then opening up everything

https://news.trust.org/item/20200417000828-mgpgm

Australian public life could be constrained for another year because of the coronavirus pandemic, Prime Minister Scott Morrison warned on Friday, as the country's most populous state mulled sending children to school in shifts.

Australia has so far avoided the high numbers of coronavirus casualties reported around the world after closing its borders and imposing strict "social distancing" measures for the past month.

Restaurants, bars and other "non-essential" businesses have closed and public gatherings of more than two people are banned under the threat of fines and even prison, measures that are expected to double the unemployment rate by mid-year.

In response, the daily growth rate of reported new infections has steadied in the low percentage single digits, from about 25% several weeks ago, for a total of about 6,500 infections, including 63 deaths.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said some measures, like the rule requiring people to stand at least 1.5 metres apart, would likely remain for several months, given there was no guarantee a vaccine would be developed in that time.

"Social distancing is something we should get very used to," Morrison told radio station 3AW. "It could be a year, but I'm not speculating about that."

"Certainly while the virus is prevalent across the world (the 1.5 metre rule) should be a natural instinct."

Morrison had said on Thursday the wider social distancing measures would be in place for at least another four weeks, while advocating the reopening of schools across the country, citing medical advice that children are a low risk of transmission.

That guidance has been contradicted by several states and territories, which are responsible for schools governance, and brought a public backlash from parents and teachers concerned about exposure to the virus.

In Australia's second most populous state, Victoria, just 3% of children returned to school after the Easter break this week, while the most populous state, New South Wales, has children still on a break.

"We are considering our options around a rostering system which will have some students go back on a particular day to increase that level of face-to-face," New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters on Friday.

"The alternative is that unfortunately students could face up to a year or longer at home and we don't that's appropriate," she added.

Imagine if FDR or LBJ had said, "We're going to war, but sorry, the states are on their own for weapons and rbullets." War-time president indeed. It's the ssame old Trump: take credit for anything that's good, blame everything on someone else and let others do all the hard work.

The plan effectively reverses Trump’s claim earlier this week that he had “total authority” to declare the nation reopened. The federal guidelines shift accountability to governors and mayors, placing the onus on them to make decisions for their own states and localities based on their own assessments of the coronavirus’s spread and risk of resurgence.

“You’re going to call your own shots,” Trump told governors on a conference call Thursday, a recording of which was obtained by The Washington Post.

The White House guidelines are far less detailed than public health guidances drafted recently by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Federal Emergency Management Agency and sent to the coronavirus task force.

Trump’s the-buck-stops-with-the-states posture is largely designed to shield himself from blame should there be new outbreaks after states reopen or for other problems, according to several current and former senior administration officials involved in the response who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Governors have said one of the most important factors in making those determinations is testing data, but Trump’s plan does not contain a national testing strategy. Senior administration officials said that although the federal government will try to facilitate access to tests, states and localities will be responsible for developing and administering their own testing programs.
-----

There is no national testing strategy, but rather a patchwork of programs administered by states with limited federal guidance. Federal officials are still getting requests from private laboratories for help obtaining the necessary reagents to conduct tests, a person involved in the task force said. Meanwhile, the American Hospital Association has raised concerns with the administration about a lack of testing supplies. 

There also is no single administration official working on testing. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus coordinator, has been communicating with hospitals and states about testing protocols, while Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, has been running point with industry.

The government has been unable to compel test manufacturers to dramatically increase the number of tests produced, and Trump has been unwilling to invoke the Defense Production Act for that purpose. States are also still struggling with acute supply shortages for tests, including swabs and reagents, that Washington has not addressed.

The strategy is all about what he thinks is best for Trump, as usual.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I don't want to downplay their success...truly...but just to point out that New Zealand has a total population of about 4.5 million.  On that graph, the higher the population figures, corresponds to higher confirmed cases.

Except China of course...but we all know that is BS 

It's a point well taken and needs to be considered.

FYI...I don't like looking at "cases" because of the well documented problems with who is being tested.  I like looking at deaths.  So....

New Zealand has a population of 4.88 million and 11 deaths.

US has 328.2 million with 35,371 deaths.

So, if you extrapolate NZs results to the US population, the US population would have 740 deaths.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's a point well taken and needs to be considered.

FYI...I don't like looking at "cases" because of the well documented problems with who is being tested.  I like looking at deaths.  So....

New Zealand has a population of 4.88 million and 11 deaths.

US has 328.2 million with 35,371 deaths.

So, if you extrapolate NZs results to the US population, the US population would have 740 deaths.

Exactly! This is the point I was trying to get across with that chart. A cohesive, nationwide approach like New Zealand's has proven to be very effective in limiting the spread (and inherently the deaths) of the virus. An ad hoc, mish-mash approach like ours has proven to be very ineffective. Much like the meme I've seen going around, it's akin to having a peeing section in a swimming pool.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

He is right that they should all be in Washington.  They should be meeting and working.  

only the dems and not the republicans?   i don't see him calling for any of the republicans.  guess even donnie knows nothing can be done with moscow mitch around.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

only the dems and not the republicans?   i don't see him calling for any of the republicans.  guess even donnie knows nothing can be done with moscow mitch around.

Everyone.  

See, this is why when Mushy Mind Biden gets into office it will be better.  I think that they will WANT to be there for him.