The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, commando said:

tom speaking some truth

This is the entire SE. It's only going to get worse as they test less and less. They will say things are fine but people will be dying. Texas already has an unusually high number of pnemonia deaths over the last few months compared to years past. They will hide COVID in every nook and cranny they can. 

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, irafreak said:

This, I agree with. I'm fine with slowing to build therapies for those that do have complications. I just think the mask creates problems too...like breathing in bacterial growth because people don't wash them or use disposables. 

We also don't have unlimited time to stay shut down. We have to live life and keep our country afloat. 

As far as the heard immunity, I think the time is now. We have enough therapies is we could keep big pharma away from hydroxychloriquine...

I dont mean to be rude but the bacterial growth thing is stuff of FB memes. Where is the evidence that shows this is doing real harm? More harm than the coronavirus? 

52 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I dont mean to be rude but the bacterial growth thing is stuff of FB memes. Where is the evidence that shows this is doing real harm? More harm than the coronavirus? 

Thank you - there is ZERO evidence.  Anywhere.  And if there was the risk/benefit would be easy to figure out.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

you dont have to believe but what i say is true.  there are a lot of people that think and still think the death rate is in the 3s.  

you are entitled to your beliefs but i dont think 1400 people a day (and declining) is not enough to justify millions of kids not going to school, and millions of people losing their jobs.  

As for your first paragraph, your wife may say it but its not true. Hospitals get no extra money for COVID deaths period. They get money for COVID care, but not for deaths.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-covid-medicare-payments-hospitals/

As far as deaths, they aren't declining. Just because you say things doesn't make them true. The fact of the matter is deaths are rising again, rapidly in some regions. Deaths have been rising steadily since July. 

People are still going to school no matter what. Whether its remote or in person school is happening so you can dispense of that false narrative. And the jobs are tied directly to the severity of the pandemic. Notice how job losses continue despite the fact we have opened things up? The economy is going to have issues as long as the pandemic is out of control. 

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

As for your first paragraph, your wife may say it but its not true. Hospitals get no extra money for COVID deaths period. They get money for COVID care, but not for deaths.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-covid-medicare-payments-hospitals/

As far as deaths, they aren't declining. Just because you say things doesn't make them true. The fact of the matter is deaths are rising again, rapidly in some regions. Deaths have been rising steadily since July. 

People are still going to school no matter what. Whether its remote or in person school is happening so you can dispense of that false narrative. And the jobs are tied directly to the severity of the pandemic. Notice how job losses continue despite the fact we have opened things up? The economy is going to have issues as long as the pandemic is out of control. 

Ok you know more than she does from wherever tf you live.  I'm not going to keep arguing with you.  You can believe what you want.  the mortality rate is declining and you already admitted that.  The question is why are you so concerned with making this seem worse than it actually is?  Do you have small kids?  I do.  E learning is crap.  The school where i live just came out today and even they are doing e learning only, oh sorry, we dont have computers for you anymore.  And earlier in the week they admitted in an email that, oh yeah, we will actually be taking an attendance and grading things this semester.  You can pretend the e learning is great you are another that wants to keep things shut down for as long as possible.  The only question that remains is why is that?  Can I ask what your political affiliation is?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Ok you know more than she does from wherever tf you live.  I'm not going to keep arguing with you.  You can believe what you want.  the mortality rate is declining and you already admitted that.  The question is why are you so concerned with making this seem worse than it actually is?  Do you have small kids?  I do.  E learning is crap.  The school where i live just came out today and even they are doing e learning only, oh sorry, we dont have computers for you anymore.  And earlier in the week they admitted in an email that, oh yeah, we will actually be taking an attendance and grading things this semester.  You can pretend the e learning is great you are another that wants to keep things shut down for as long as possible.  The only question that remains is why is that?  Can I ask what your political affiliation is?

I'm not making it worse than it is. This is on track to be one of if not the deadliest disease in the United States and everyone in the country is probably going to catch it at this point with our piss poor response. I'm being realistic about the situation.

I don't know what your wife know but if she says her hospital is getting more money for COVID deaths she is lying. Straight up. That myth has been debunked on numerous occasions. 

You sure make alot of assumptions. I don't want to keep things shut down forever. That is a false narrative promoted to make this a political situation when it is not one. What I want is an actual response to this virus. That may involve a lockdown, but if we were to do so, no more than 6 weeks is necessary and that would be done with the idea in mind that every day of those 6 weeks will go towards working vigorously to make sure we can open society up safely and permanently. Why would I be in favor of shutting down for 6 weeks? To drive down case numbers and create a strong surveillance system. To create a plan for strong economic recovery in a space where everyone feels safe to travel and shop. It has zip to do with politics I can tell you that much. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

the mortality rate is going down whether you want to accept it or not.  7 to 8 thousand people died per day in this country before covid.  1400 on top of that is nothing.  and we all know they are calling pretty much every death right now a covid death to get the federal money.  my wife works in the hospital here and she admits they are doing that.  this is not something we should be shutting the whole country down for at this point.

4 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

yeah i doubt it.  i never said it had anything to do with with the money.  you are a liar or not smart enough to read properly.  let me guess you want a 6 week shut down starting in mid september.  comical.

Well actually you specifically said it was about the money. Are you a liar or can you not write properly? Preferably they would have done the 6 weeks properly in March but since its too late now I'd prefer they do it as soon as possible so we can get back to as close to normal as we can as soon as possible. I know its crazy to think but I want things to go back to as normal as they can as quickly as possible! 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well actually you specifically said it was about the money. Are you a liar or can you not write properly? Preferably they would have done the 6 weeks properly in March but since its too late now I'd prefer they do it as soon as possible so we can get back to as close to normal as we can as soon as possible. I know its crazy to think but I want things to go back to as normal as they can as quickly as possible! 

I can't wait until "My ___________ works at a hospital" goes away. I cringe everytime.

• Plus1 3

24 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

yeah i doubt it.  i never said it had anything to do with with the money.  you are a liar or not smart enough to read properly.  let me guess you want a 6 week shut down starting in mid september.  comical.

Most "professionals" wanted that in April.  That would have given at least 4 months of economic recovery and a showing that our federal government could handle a crisis.

oops...

10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I can't wait until "My ___________ works at a hospital" goes away. I cringe everytime.

The sad thing is, my wife works at  a hospital (:P) and she comes home every morning shaking her head about the conversations she's had with other nurses the night before.

She actually had one nurse on her floor simultaneously keep her one son at a neighbors house because he had co-morbidities while she attended to her other sick family members.  Yet, claimed that it was "nothing to worry about."  People are lying to themselves...

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The sad thing is, my wife works at  a hospital (:P) and she comes home every morning shaking her head about the conversations she's had with other nurses the night before.

She actually had one nurse on her floor simultaneously keep her one son at a neighbors house because he had co-morbidities while she attended to her other sick family members.  Yet, claimed that it was "nothing to worry about."  People are lying to themselves...

Honestly, being a healthcare worker, sometimes we have the worst outlook on stuff like this. If we believed what we see in and out everyday, would happen to us, we would be depressed as hell. I see the "its not so bad" types all the time, but I get it - its self preservation. 

51 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

the federal government doesnt do anything well.  if you were counting on it to do anything well thats not very smart on your part.  

I suspect the federal government does many things well when it has good leaders running our departments/agencies and a good leader in charge, but the things is does well aren't noticeable because they're, well, going well.

• Plus1 1