The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Tom brings up a good point here.  Saying this type of stuff doesn’t help the situation because when the dire prediction doesn’t come true, people will say” see they cry wolf all the time”.  Why can’t they just say things are really bad, we need everyone help to bend the curve, and let the data speak for itself.  

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Reaching capacity limits for a few days is far from collapsing the system IMO.  Hospitals are used to running at 100% capacity at flu season and run at 85-90+ capacity on any normal day.  

don’t get me wrong, this is a serious time for the healthcare system, but they have been able to handle the load so far.  These talking heads make people think the Hospital will basically quit caring for people and all resources will be used up.  

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Well we set a record today...2nd time in a week.  Take a look at the 7 day average graphics.

These guys only use state data that's published from state sites:

This reminds me of something I noticed early in the pandemic, which has never changed.

Numbers go down over the weekend. Pick back up a tick on Monday. Then crest over the mid-week.

It happens every week. 

This would seem to have nothing to do with fluctuations in the virus and everything to do with how medical facilities and states report their data. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

And yet, flu cases are down "unusually" low in numbers, with no recorded deaths.  https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm 

The number of people getting a flu vaccine this year more than doubled over last year, clearly attributable to coronavirus concerns.

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/payer/flu-shot-rates-increasing-year-as-experts-worry-double-whammy-covid-19-season

I've never doubted that getting my flu shot was a good idea, but I typically space it off until it's too late in the season. That didn't happen this year. 

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This reminds me of something I noticed early in the pandemic, which has never changed.

Numbers go down over the weekend. Pick back up a tick on Monday. Then crest over the mid-week.

It happens every week. 

This would seem to have nothing to do with fluctuations in the virus and everything to do with how medical facilities and states report their data. 

It's attributable to the people reporting the data don't work on the weekends. Same thing happens on the holidays.

41 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It happens every week. 

Correct.  Example...KS only reports cases on certain days of the week, not everyday (unless that recently changed).  

same with deaths, weekends are lower not because less people died, just has to do with timing of recording the deaths.  

I also remember reading that the deaths in these numbers could have happened a week or weeks ago and just now being recorded into the numbers. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's attributable to the people reporting the data don't work on the weekends. Same thing happens on the holidays.

That was always my assumption.  So it's weird that that the media parses the daily rise and fall without acknowledging this built-in inaccuracy.

I follow Worldometers, and find many days where Nebraska doesn't even list new cases or deaths. Those numbers just show up in the running  totals at the beginning of the next day. A couple other small states do this periodically, but it appears to be a decision by the state when and if to report daily numbers. Doesn't seem to be conspiratorial, but to my eye Nebraska jumped up to 1,200+ deaths without much warning. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

That was always my assumption.  So it's weird that that the media parses the daily rise and fall without acknowledging this built-in inaccuracy.

I follow Worldometers, and find many days where Nebraska doesn't even list new cases or deaths. Those numbers just show up in the running  totals at the beginning of the next day. A couple other small states do this periodically, but it appears to be a decision by the state when and if to report daily numbers. Doesn't seem to be conspiratorial, but to my eye Nebraska jumped up to 1,200+ deaths without much warning. 

It's why the 7-day average has been added to many of the charts on various websites.