The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Those small town firemen responded to a very bad accident my son was in.  They all knew him and were able to do their (volunteer) jobs very professionally.  They also have volunteered multiple times to respond to my elderly parents.

Dissing on them is where you're stretching.

Good on them. And I'm glad your son is okay. Not sure I was dissing on them, just calling it what it is (and what the guy's I know doing it will admit to). However,  I'll stand by my opinion that  the term "hero" is thrown around too easily in today's world.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Nah, the easiest gig is a club golf "pro". 

Roll in aroud 9:00 am, fold a couple of sweaters, give a lesson or two to people who never get any better, take credit for the work of the grounds crew and restaurant staff, on the course by noon for a "playing lesson", then leave the course at 4.  Do that for eight months a year and overwinter in Scottsdale. 

Just check their hands if you don't believe me.

All the clubhouse workers at our local golf courses are old men, doing nothing, collecting a paycheck!

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Maybe rural firemen, but all of the ones in my area employed by the city's they live in are definitely paid. Paid for little to no work (which the one's I knowopenly admit to). I'm fine with it. Easy money is the best money.

I coach with a fireman, he is AWESOME and has been on the staff forever.  He will always f#&% with us and go "You know what, I could retire TODAY and get paid over 80,000 dollars a year for the rest of my life to not work", then he laughs!  

The other two I know love joking around about how easy they have it.  They are a ton of fun.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

All the clubhouse workers at our local golf courses are old men, doing nothing, collecting a paycheck!

There is a big difference between old guys taking payment for a round at the local muni, and club/teaching pros.  Those old dudes are basically there to kill time so they don't have to go back to their wives, and so they can get free golf at the course.

• Oh Yeah! 2
26 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Maybe rural firemen, but all of the ones in my area employed by the city's they live in are definitely paid. Paid for little to no work (which the one's I knowopenly admit to). I'm fine with it. Easy money is the best money.

but you also said this.  it is an unpaid gig and these guys see lots of fatalities in their duties.   kids their kids go to school with, suicides, heart attacks, strangers in car accidents on the interstate, i even know about 1 guy who got pulled into a hay baler, etc, etc....   i have only encountered something like that once and it was plenty for me.    i respect the heck out of these guys who volunteer to drop whatever they are doing when the call comes in

"The small town fireman might be the easiest gig there is. Hero feels like a stretch."

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is a big difference between old guys taking payment for a round at the local muni, and club/teaching pros.  Those old dudes are basically there to kill time so they don't have to go back to their wives, and so they can get free golf at the course.

Yeah, those are the guys I was referring too. Quite the life!

• Oh Yeah! 1
16 minutes ago, commando said:

but you also said this.  it is an unpaid gig and these guys see lots of fatalities in their duties.   kids their kids go to school with, suicides, heart attacks, strangers in car accidents on the interstate, i even know about 1 guy who got pulled into a hay baler, etc, etc....   i have only encountered something like that once and it was plenty for me.    i respect the heck out of these guys who volunteer to drop whatever they are doing when the call comes in

"The small town fireman might be the easiest gig there is. Hero feels like a stretch."

Yeah, it's never easy to see those things. I was referring to the day-to-day activities of the local (paid) firemen in the town I live in of approximately 10,000 people. I know a number of them. They brag about how little they do all the time. A lot of PlayStation, and Netflix, etc. Both things (seeing some bad stuff, and having it pretty easy day-to-day) can be true.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Careful. You're going to get 10 notifications of people telling you how wrong you are.

Yeah, my one firefighter buddy just came back from a week long training of hay baler body dislodging.  I guess is happens like all the time.

He said the first thing they told them was to "not turn the machine back on".

• Haha 1
36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My god, this is so true.

When I worked at a course, I worked with 4 old dudes, I am not even sure if they got paid to be there.  But they loved not being at home!

• Oh Yeah! 1
17 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is one of those gigs that every golfer wants (and to be on the tour), then you get it and realize that you no longer even get to golf for the most part and you are just managing a pro shop.

I know two guys who were golf pros in Arizona.  Both ended up horrible alcoholics. 

• Plus1 1