The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The small town fireman might be the easiest gig there is. Hero feels like a stretch.

Until you go to the scene of an accident/fire and see the body of a school kid your kids know. I think every rural fireman volunteer or otherwise has a story like that...

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The small town fireman might be the easiest gig there is. Hero feels like a stretch.

Those small town firemen responded to a very bad accident my son was in.  They all knew him and were able to do their (volunteer) jobs very professionally.  They also have volunteered multiple times to respond to my elderly parents.

Dissing on them is where you're stretching.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, commando said:

FWIW....most small town firemen are volunteers.  

As someone who's dad was on the volunteer ambulance team when I was growing up, hearing his scanner go off at 2 in the morning always scared the **** out of me. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Nah, the easiest gig is a club golf "pro". 

Roll in aroud 9:00 am, fold a couple of sweaters, give a lesson or two to people who never get any better, take credit for the work of the grounds crew and restaurant staff, on the course by noon for a "playing lesson", then leave the course at 4.  Do that for eight months a year and overwinter in Scottsdale. 

Just check their hands if you don't believe me.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Roll in aroud 9:00 am, fold a couple of sweaters, give a lesson or two to people who never get any better, take credit for the work of the grounds crew and restaurant staff, on the course by noon for a "playing lesson", then leave the course at 4.  Do that for eight months a year and overwinter in Scottsdale. 

Sounds like heaven...;)

54 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Yeah, but they have to give lessons to super annoying ladies!  

20 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I thought you liked super annoying ladies? Your Target thread would indicate that you do. 

Ha!

I used to work at a golf course when I was a kid, the pro was an old dude who dressed the part but other than that, he was sort of an a$$ and his day looked so boring!  The lessons he had to give looked miserable. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Golf pros don't make a lot of $ unless they are selling a ton of merchandise at the course or sell a lot of lessons.  Dealing with membership at a big, local club would be a total pain in the a$$.

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Golf pros don't make a lot of $ unless they are selling a ton of merchandise at the course or sell a lot of lessons.  Dealing with membership at a big, local club would be a total pain in the a$$.

It is one of those gigs that every golfer wants (and to be on the tour), then you get it and realize that you no longer even get to golf for the most part and you are just managing a pro shop.

6 hours ago, commando said:

FWIW....most small town firemen are volunteers.  

Maybe rural firemen, but all of the ones in my area employed by the city's they live in are definitely paid. Paid for little to no work (which the one's I knowopenly admit to). I'm fine with it. Easy money is the best money.