The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

From the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" section of the tennis world:

Dorkovic is anti-vaxx. He knew the rules, chose not to get vaxxed, and now he's going to get what he's earned. 

Must be nice to have a strong border policy.   I guess rules aren’t really rules in our neck of the woods. 

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/33001055/novak-djokovic-denied-entry-australia-initial-covid-19-medical-exemption

"Mr. Djokovic's visa has been canceled. Rules are rules, especially when it comes to our borders," Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison posted on Twitter. "No one is above these rules. Our strong border policies have been critical to Australia having one of the lowest death rates in the world from COVID, we are continuing to be vigilant.''

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

53 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Must be nice to have a strong border policy.   I guess rules aren’t really rules in our neck of the woods. 

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/33001055/novak-djokovic-denied-entry-australia-initial-covid-19-medical-exemption

"Mr. Djokovic's visa has been canceled. Rules are rules, especially when it comes to our borders," Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison posted on Twitter. "No one is above these rules. Our strong border policies have been critical to Australia having one of the lowest death rates in the world from COVID, we are continuing to be vigilant.''

Imagine if we had the same "they knew the rules" attitude to those entering our country illegally.

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, looking at South Africa.  It looks like their Omicron wave lasted about a month.  The current wave in the US started around December 22nd.  So, if it goes roughly the same, it should be back down around January 22nd.  Their peak was roughly 8-10 days after the wave started.  In the US, it appears that we have a peak at about 8-10 days which is right now.  It will be interesting to see now if it drops off as fast as South Africa's did.

It will last longer in the US just because we are bigger, meaning it will take longer to work through all corners of the US.  Omicron is hot on the east coast right now and probably close to peaking there.  But there are a lot of places currently in the US where Omicron is just starting to ramp up.  So NY will probably show a case graph similar to SA, but looking a the US in total it is going to look much more prolonged.

I would guess by the end of February the US will all pretty much be in the clear from it.

Also, it will inevitably be worse here because the US finds ways to screw everything up.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

It will last longer in the US just because we are bigger, meaning it will take longer to work through all corners of the US.  Omicron is hot on the east coast right now and probably close to peaking there.  But there are a lot of places currently in the US where Omicron is just starting to ramp up.  So NY will probably show a case graph similar to SA, but looking a the US in total it is going to look much more prolonged.

I would guess by the end of February the US will all pretty much be in the clear from it.

Also, it will inevitably be worse here because the US finds ways to screw everything up.

You might be right.  You can go on the site and click on individual states to see what they are experiencing.  LINK

Interestingly, New York and Nebraska have about the same time line going.

And, to your last statement.  You're assuming other countries like South Africa don't screw things up.  I'm not so sure about that.

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Cleveland and Chicago public schools going remote.

Hold onto your butts!

Given that Douglas County is having their highest reported numbers of the entire pandemic, it's going to be interesting to see what happens here. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Given that Douglas County is having their highest reported numbers of the entire pandemic, it's going to be interesting to see what happens here. 

I think "they" are waiting to see what it looks like after these first two weeks back from break.

If it is a s#!tshow...get ready for remote.

There are already no subs out there.

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think "they" are waiting to see what it looks like after these first two weeks back from break.

If it is a s#!tshow...get ready for remote.

There are already no subs out there.

If they go remote, I wonder what other local school districts will do?   Some of the others in the area are not prepared to go full remote learning, especially for elementary schools.

24 minutes ago, sho said:

If they go remote, I wonder what other local school districts will do?   Some of the others in the area are not prepared to go full remote learning, especially for elementary schools.

Omaha has always kind of been "wait and see what OPS does" in terms of the domino effect, but lately the surrounding Class A districts have been doing their own things more often, so the answer is somewhere between "see what OPS does" and "shoulder shrug". 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I would look for the US to be done with it in late January.  Anyone taking bets?  I'm so overdue for a correct pandemic prediction.

• Oh Yeah! 1
7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Omaha has always kind of been "wait and see what OPS does" in terms of the domino effect, but lately the surrounding Class A districts have been doing their own things more often, so the answer is somewhere between "see what OPS does" and "shoulder shrug". 

So true...I think Millard and Elkhorn will do all they can to not go remote.

Private schools will hold out as long as they can

Papio will go remote fast, I think.  

The smaller districts just outside of Omaha will stay open if possible. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I would look for the US to be done with it in late January.  Anyone taking bets?  I'm so overdue for a correct pandemic prediction.

Some projection data I’ve been seeing seems to be a week or two later than what your predicting. Sometime First two weeks of February.   Sharp downturn then levels off for a month or so mid way down then another sharp downturn early April.  Assuming no other variants that take over Omicron.  
But I like your guess better!!  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So true...I think Millard and Elkhorn will do all they can to not go remote.

Private schools will hold out as long as they can

Papio will go remote fast, I think.  

The smaller districts just outside of Omaha will stay open if possible. 

I got to check this but I think KS implemented a state law that says they can’t go remote for more than a small period of time or it doesn’t count towards school days.  

• Plus1 1