The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Great thread dispelling the notion that previous infection will keep you out of the hospital as well as vaccines and boosters.

Like I said before, you can take the Rand Paul track and just get reinfected with every future variant and hope.   Or as Dr Jha says, you could just get vaccinated.  

I like Dr. Jha’s thoughts and was the first to post him in this thread I believe.  But one thing comes to mind is he doesn’t have actual data to show what he is inferring.  He is using by his own words an educated guess.  So If I were able to ask him a question on this, it would be for him to explain the below data…

if Dr. Jha were correct, then Omicron should be decimating these countries with their extremely low vaccination rates.  I think age obviously plays a large role in this and everyone can agree that those 45 and older should get vaccinated regardless of previous infection out of precaution.  But it shouldn’t be policy mandated.  

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I like Dr. Jha’s thoughts and was the first to post him in this thread I believe.  But one thing comes to mind is he doesn’t have actual data to show what he is inferring.  He is using by his own words an educated guess.  So If I were able to ask him a question on this, it would be for him to explain the below data…

if Dr. Jha were correct, then Omicron should be decimating these countries with their extremely low vaccination rates.  I think age obviously plays a large role in this and everyone can agree that those 45 and older should get vaccinated regardless of previous infection out of precaution.  But it shouldn’t be policy mandated.  

There's also no guarantee that the current vaccine would protect against future variants so, in a way, we're all just hoping for the best. And as you said, the idea of a mandate is ridiculous, for many reasons.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

^^ per Johns Hopkins University

The lockdowns during the early phase of the pandemic in 2020 reduced COVID-19 mortality by about 0.2%, said the broad review of multiple scientific studies.

“We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality,” the researchers wrote.

But the research paper said lockdowns did have “devastating effects” on the economy and contributed to numerous social ills.

“They have contributed to reducing economic activity, raising unemployment, reducing schooling, causing political unrest, contributing to domestic violence, and undermining liberal democracy,” the report said.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, admo said:

The lockdowns during the early phase of the pandemic in 2020 reduced COVID-19 mortality by about 0.2%, said the broad review of multiple scientific studies.

“We find no evidence that lockdowns, school closures, border closures, and limiting gatherings have had a noticeable effect on COVID-19 mortality,” the researchers wrote.

But the research paper said lockdowns did have “devastating effects” on the economy and contributed to numerous social ills.

“They have contributed to reducing economic activity, raising unemployment, reducing schooling, causing political unrest, contributing to domestic violence, and undermining liberal democracy,” the report said.

Unfortunately those responsible for these decisions will not pay a price for them.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, admo said:

Don't have the time to dive into it all the way but I'm curious how you could possibly reach a conclusion one way or the other on that? 

It's not like we can A/B test it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Don't have the time to dive into it all the way but I'm curious how you could possibly reach a conclusion one way or the other on that? 

It's not like we can A/B test it.

Neither do I, but it is coming from Johns Hopkins.  Highly regarded among the best in research. 

• Plus1 3

Let's see how this works out this time. They've done this before and it did not go well when Omicron hit. 

Denmark has scrapped its Covid laws, deeming the virus no longer a critical threat – cases remain high but the country has moved on

Yesterday, the Scandinavian nation became the first country in Europe to put an end to all coronavirus-related laws. In the eyes of the Danish government and, crucially, the vast majority of its 5.8m citizens, the virus is no longer deemed a “critical threat to society”. Cases remain high – very high – but the Danes have moved on. Even if you test positive, there is no longer a legal obligation to self-isolate.

In the capital, Copenhagen, there was an atmosphere of cautious relief on Tuesday morning as people crammed into the Metro, onto commuter trains and buses, and into shops without face masks for the first time since November.

Even the new, more transmissible BA.2 omicron variant that now dominates infections in Denmark could not put people off. Tyra Grove Krause, director of infection preparedness at the country’s infectious diseases agency SSI, said there was nothing for it but to let the new wave “run through the population”.

“With omicron, it is impossible to stop the spread of infection, even with severe restrictions,” she said, before predicting that natural immunity would now combine with Denmark’s high vaccination rates to send the latest wave into decline by the middle of this month. As far as community health is concerned, Covid is now on a par with the common cold.

Of course, Denmark has been here before. In September, it did almost exactly the same thing, only to U-turn in early November when omicron hit. Museums, cinemas, theatres and concert venues all closed over Christmas and masks and vaccine passports were required for almost everything else. In the face of uncertainty about the new variant, the country did not want to chance its health system becoming overwhelmed.

“Throughout the pandemic, our data shows that the key worry of Danes is not their own health, but overwhelmed hospitals,” says Michael Bang Petersen, a professor of political science and government advisor, who led the country’s largest behavioural project during the crisis.

“Opening up doesn’t need to mean that you don’t care about the vulnerable in society, and it doesn’t mean that you don’t take coronavirus seriously,” he says. Instead, it’s “a trade-off” based on data – something that Denmark, with its world-class genetic sequencing and mass testing, has a lot of.

Denmark seems to fascinate people not from Denmark.  People either think everything they do is amazing or foolish.  

I don't know if a country that small in population has ever grabbed the attention of so many people.

I hope it works out well for them so the rest of the world can lift restrictions as well.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Denmark seems to fascinate people not from Denmark.  People either think everything they do is amazing or foolish.  

I don't know if a country that small in population has ever grabbed the attention of so many people.

I hope it works out well for them so the rest of the world can lift restrictions as well.

Aside from the Zero-Covid regions, it has been some version of the same story everywhere.  Cases drop, restrictions end, new wave/variant, cases rise, restrictions start....

I don't see anything exceptional about what Denmark has done either way.