The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

We can all agree that the extreme reactions are ugly and bad.

We can also all agree that Owens, Scott, et al have earned justifiable criticism for their stances.

And we can all agree that conflating those two is as bad as anything you're complaining about in this thread. Nor is that conflating likely to win anyone over, if that's a thing we're interested in.

Tim Scott is a Black conservative. That's it. That's what he deserves criticism and Uncle Tom comments for?

Owens on the other hand...

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Tim Scott is a Black conservative. That's it. That's what he deserves criticism and Uncle Tom comments for?

How did you read "We can all agree that the extreme reactions are ugly and bad" and respond like this?

Like, how does that actually happen?

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

How did you read "We can all agree that the extreme reactions are ugly and bad" and respond like this?

Like, how does that actually happen?

I commented on your second sentence.

I agree that extreme reactions and wild hyperbole are ugly and bad.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is kind of a good movie, if you are into hiking bear attack flicks.

If I remember correctly the "Hiking Bear Attack" aisle at Blockbuster was right next to "Horror", I don't remember it being a very long aisle 

I think it was based on a true story if I remember correctly 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, nic said:

just to bring you up to speed...below is the link to to the LA Times article accusing Elder of being the black face of white supremacy. When Senator Tim Scott delivered the Republican response to the state of the union “Uncle Tim”, a reference to “Uncle Tom” trended on Twitter over night. Twitter eventually took it down. 

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-08-20/recall-candidate-larry-elder-is-a-threat-to-black-californians

Daily Beast article on Owens (with links to many other articles). The author was very careful with her wording, but did bring up Uncle Tom and a tool of white supremacy.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/candace-owens-is-a-willing-tool-of-republican-racists

To be fair, Owens and Edler certainly dish it out, so they need to be able to take it. There are plenty willing to dish it back and using racist language that would get a conservative pundit skewered. Tim Scott didn’t deserve then backlash in my opinion, I guess Twitter eventually agreed.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/29/sen-tim-scott-attacked-as-uncle-tim-on-twitter-after-gop-rebuttal/

You know the authors at The Daily Beast and the LA Times personally?

Predictions on how many super spreader events will have been spawned by the games this weekend?

I know, turd in a punchbowl but that's it, it's over?  No more Delta, no more whatever the next variant may be brewing away in a stadium like in Tallahassee?  Screw the health care system?  Screw the front line workers?

30 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Predictions on how many super spreader events will have been spawned by the games this weekend?

I know, turd in a punchbowl but that's it, it's over?  No more Delta, no more whatever the next variant may be brewing away in a stadium like in Tallahassee?  Screw the health care system?  Screw the front line workers?

I thought we were to the point of "vaccinate or tough sh*t"

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
49 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

We're at the point where money and impatience are dominating decision making, which was somewhat predictable and inevitable once vaccines rolled out and public health directives were loosened.

To put it more simply, I don't think a lot of people really care enough anymore. Football is a great case study for this given its popularity and revenue potential. Few are going to give up those opportunities when people "could" get vaccinated. Not saying it's necessarily right or wrong, but it's unsurprising.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

We're at the point where money and impatience are dominating decision making, which was somewhat predictable and inevitable once vaccines rolled out and public health directives were loosened.

To put it more simply, I don't think a lot of people really care enough anymore. Football is a great case study for this given its popularity and revenue potential. Few are going to give up those opportunities when people "could" get vaccinated. Not saying it's necessarily right or wrong, but it's unsurprising.

Yep!