The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

48 minutes ago, teachercd said:

In response to the people that asked about school stuff

Remote learning is lame and kids hated it

Wearing masks at school sucks but the kids don't see to care all that much.

This is pretty much where my kids have fallen.  No one likes remote and kids are pretty much used to wearing masks now even though they hated them in the beginning.  Now they tolerate them and doesn’t bother them even though they wish they didn’t have to wear them 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

This is pretty much where my kids have fallen.  No one likes remote and kids are pretty much used to wearing masks now even though they hated them in the beginning.  Now they tolerate them and doesn’t bother them even though they wish they didn’t have to wear them 

This is literally 100% of people that observe mask requirements.

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is literally 100% of people that observe mask requirements.

I still find it interesting that other Western countries do not observe school mask mandates nor are they having young teens get the vaccine and we are on the opposite end of that spectrum.  I’m curious on who will be found correct and what data source each is using to support their position. 

• Plus1 2

20 hours ago, Enhance said:

I'm curious - for our board parents with kids still in school (particularly young kids), how have you approached helping them understand mask wearing? I see so many parents against masks talking about how "my kid has never seen their classmates' faces" and "oh it's so hard for them to interact with their teachers and classmates with masks on."

If I were a parent, I feel like I would look at this as an opportunity to teach my kid that life sometimes presents us with challenges. Complaining about them or looking for excuses rarely helps. And, if wearing a mask can help someone else be safe, then it's the right thing to do. And eventually, doing the right things will get you where you want to be.

I don't know. Like I said, not a parent... but that seems logical to me. And it seems WAY more logical than standing in front of a school board whining about how my child's feels are hurt because they can't see their classmates' teeth.

I was talking about this with a high school teacher yesterday, and a grade school parent today, and they said kids are hugely relieved and happy to be back at school in person, and seem to have no problem with mask compliance. The teacher kinda hates talking through her mask, but watching the kids she says they've clearly gotten used to it and and don't make a big deal about it either way.  Off school grounds there's much less compliance at outdoor playgrounds and sporting activities. People seem to get that, too --- it's mostly a private judgement call by parents.  

We all wanted this to be over by now, but in our highly compliant and vaccinated county, everyone still understands this is temporary. 

On 9/5/2021 at 5:19 PM, Lorewarn said:

You know the authors at The Daily Beast and the LA Times personally?

Nope. But you are not getting the point. I have no idea if they are racist. But they use racist slurs against people of color when those people of color do not conform to their beliefs. Here is another example. 

“Elder, a conservative radio host, is the clear front-runner among the candidates and could make history as California’s first Black governor. But according to LAist reporter Kyle Stokes, speakers at Monday’s rally tried to paint him as a racist.

Without mentioning Elder by name, state Sen. Sydney Kamlager said there's a recall challenger who "thinks he might have an edge because of his color. But racism … comes in all shapes and sizes, and we’re not stupid," Stokes reported.

Melina Abdullah, a professor at California State University, Los Angeles, followed up by saying, "She didn’t say his name, but I will: Larry Elder is a Black face on White supremacy," Stokes reported.”

You can keep going down this road if you like, but you have a lot to to try and defend here. 

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I was talking about this with a high school teacher yesterday, and a grade school parent today, and they said kids are hugely relieved and happy to be back at school in person, and seem to have no problem with mask compliance. The teacher kinda hates talking through her mask, but watching the kids she says they've clearly gotten used to it and and don't make a big deal about it either way.  Off school grounds there's much less compliance at outdoor playgrounds and sporting activities. People seem to get that, too --- it's mostly a private judgement call by parents.  

We all wanted this to be over by now, but in our highly compliant and vaccinated county, everyone still understands this is temporary. 

The tri-country health department mandated masks for k through 12th. At my kids HS, there was was protest by students not wanting  to wear masks that turned a bit ugly. I will admit that there where a group of kids called the “cowboys” (my kids term), that got a bit bit ugly. Two girls throwing rocks at the “cowboys” got suspended. The kids (including mine) only wear masks when the teacher requires it. The schools are not enforcing the mandate. It seems the mask mandate is down to the individual teacher at this point. I told my kids to comply to whatever the teacher requires and they do. No real outbreaks...yet.

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, nic said:

Nope. But you are not getting the point. I have no idea if they are racist. But they use racist slurs against people of color when those people of color do not conform to their beliefs. Here is another example. 

“Elder, a conservative radio host, is the clear front-runner among the candidates and could make history as California’s first Black governor. But according to LAist reporter Kyle Stokes, speakers at Monday’s rally tried to paint him as a racist.

Without mentioning Elder by name, state Sen. Sydney Kamlager said there's a recall challenger who "thinks he might have an edge because of his color. But racism … comes in all shapes and sizes, and we’re not stupid," Stokes reported.

Melina Abdullah, a professor at California State University, Los Angeles, followed up by saying, "She didn’t say his name, but I will: Larry Elder is a Black face on White supremacy," Stokes reported.”

You can keep going down this road if you like, but you have a lot to to try and defend here. 

I’m down with calling Larry Elder a Black face on white supremacy. Because racism does come in all shapes and sizes. And I’m not stupid. What’s to apologize for?

55 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I’m down with calling Larry Elder a Black face on white supremacy. Because racism does come in all shapes and sizes. And I’m not stupid. What’s to apologize for?

Saved for future reference.

Racism is a terrible thing...regardless.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1