The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

I'm curious - for our board parents with kids still in school (particularly young kids), how have you approached helping them understand mask wearing? I see so many parents against masks talking about how "my kid has never seen their classmates' faces" and "oh it's so hard for them to interact with their teachers and classmates with masks on."

If I were a parent, I feel like I would look at this as an opportunity to teach my kid that life sometimes presents us with challenges. Complaining about them or looking for excuses rarely helps. And, if wearing a mask can help someone else be safe, then it's the right thing to do. And eventually, doing the right things will get you where you want to be.

I don't know. Like I said, not a parent... but that seems logical to me. And it seems WAY more logical than standing in front of a school board whining about how my child's feels are hurt because they can't see their classmates' teeth.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a selection bias in who I choose as friends, but all my friends with kids pretty unanimously report that their kids don't really care (I've witnessed this first-hand with some of them making zero fuss ever about masking up to go into a store, for example) and it's exclusively the parents who get butthurt about it. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

I'm curious - for our board parents with kids still in school (particularly young kids), how have you approached helping them understand mask wearing? I see so many parents against masks talking about how "my kid has never seen their classmates' faces" and "oh it's so hard for them to interact with their teachers and classmates with masks on."

If I were a parent, I feel like I would look at this as an opportunity to teach my kid that life sometimes presents us with challenges. Complaining about them or looking for excuses rarely helps. And, if wearing a mask can help someone else be safe, then it's the right thing to do. And eventually, doing the right things will get you where you want to be.

I don't know. Like I said, not a parent... but that seems logical to me. And it seems WAY more logical than standing in front of a school board whining about how my child's feels are hurt because they can't see their classmates' teeth.

Yes.

My kids can’t be vaccinated until November.  They wear a mask.  We teach them how they work so if some kid gives them grief they can simply say “it’s kind of strange that you’re making fun of me for trying to help you.”

We also talk about only one side of the conversation can be right.  Either masks truly mitigate the spread or they don’t.  We asked our kids, would you rather be wrong and potentially be responsible for shutting down your class/school?  Or would you rather be wrong and have worn a useless mask?  They didn’t think it was a hard choice.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yes.

My kids can’t be vaccinated until November.  They wear a mask.  We teach them how they work so if some kid gives them grief they can simply say “it’s kind of strange that you’re making fun of me for trying to help you.”

We also talk about only one side of the conversation can be right.  Either masks truly mitigate the spread or they don’t.  We asked our kids, would you rather be wrong and potentially be responsible for shutting down your class/school?  Or would you rather be wrong and have worn a useless mask?  They didn’t think it was a hard choice.

Also, as a teacher, I will say that remote learning did far, far, far more damage to our kids than wearing a mask ever will.  Rational Parents should commend schools for taking any reasonable measures to keep the doors open.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not sure exactly.  But, I’ve seen several tweets with videos of people about getting trampled and pushed through fences. 

The title of the tweet implies the trampling of people is the fault of COVID protocols.

I'm addressing the author of the tweet and not you - in what way can that cause people to trample over each other?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The title of the tweet implies the trampling of people is the fault of COVID protocols.

I'm addressing the author of the tweet and not you - in what way can that cause people to trample over each other?

That’s what I don’t know. The videos I’ve seen shows a mob of people all trying to squeeze through one gate. 

Total guess:  maybe it was totally disorganized and taking forever and the mob got impatient and started pushing. 

10 hours ago, Enhance said:

Our kids don't like wearing the masks, but they know that it helps reduce the spread of covid, so they're ok with it. And they take off their masks at lunch and for outdoor gym.

7 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I have a selection bias in who I choose as friends, but all my friends with kids pretty unanimously report that their kids don't really care (I've witnessed this first-hand with some of them making zero fuss ever about masking up to go into a store, for example) and it's exclusively the parents who get butthurt about it. 

Yep.

20 hours ago, knapplc said:

We can all agree that the extreme reactions are ugly and bad.

We can also all agree that Owens, Scott, et al have earned justifiable criticism for their stances.

And we can all agree that conflating those two is as bad as anything you're complaining about in this thread. Nor is that conflating likely to win anyone over, if that's a thing we're interested in.

I can’t claim that I have heard everything these people have said, but I did happen to listen to Scott’s rebuttal. I don’t think anything in that rebuttal deserved the “Uncle Tim” response.  It sure seems like derogatory comments on people of color with conservative political beliefs are OK or quietly ignored, when the same derogatory comments on liberal people of color are widely condemned. That is my perception.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, nic said:

I can’t claim that I have heard everything these people have said, but I did happen to listen to Scott’s rebuttal. I don’t think anything in that rebuttal deserved the “Uncle Tim” response.  It sure seems like derogatory comments on people of color with conservative political beliefs are OK or quietly ignored, when the same derogatory comments on liberal people of color are widely condemned. That is my perception.

All such comments are widely condemned. One side says something and it's widely condemned by the other.