The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Sources from NYT for all the mask mandate truthers.  

My thoughts from the beginning were "if this is the least I have to do to try to minimize spread, I can deal with it".  Looks like it might not have mattered as much as thought.

Not gonna feel bad for taking one for the possible betterment of the folks around me.  :dunno

• Plus1 6
51 minutes ago, funhusker said:

My thoughts from the beginning were "if this is the least I have to do to try to minimize spread, I can deal with it".  Looks like it might not have mattered as much as thought.

Not gonna feel bad for taking one for the possible betterment of the folks around me.  :dunno

Nor should you feel bad.  It was just unneeded policy.  

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yep. It was just a piece of cloth. The weirdos got all caught up in "but muh freedum!!" and went deranged. 

If wearing a mask is too hard for you, maybe you'd better just stay home and not contribute to society. A stiff breeze may pose a deadly threat to these people.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

It's funny because whenever there's a crisis or mere inconvenience, people turn to the government and say "what are you going to do about this?!"

Even people who distrust and and fight the government. 

I'm imagining a President telling the public there's nothing we can really do. Not masks. Not social distancing. Not vaccines. It will probably go away on its own timetable. Maybe the whole thing is a hoax and won't possibly kill a million people. One thing for sure: our scientists don't know s#!t.

And of course we'd view that assessment differently depending on whether there's an (R) or a (D) next to the President. 

Much of the mask debunking is still traced to that Cochrane report, which does have several bugs in it. There's a lot to learn from COVID for the next epidemic, but some of it will be inconvenient to all parties. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Nor should you feel bad.  It was just unneeded policy.  

Much like how all of the b!^@hing and whining was unneeded.

My behavior won’t change for the next epidemic  (god forbid).  I’ll continue to listen and do what I can, even if it means wearing an “unneeded” mask.  I also realize that the selfishness of some will also not change.

• Plus1 1

Just think how effective the mandates might have been if  MAGA had actually worn them correctly.  I mean I'll give their best intentions the benefit of the doubt and possibly they tried to help they're fellow man. It could be that they just couldn't figure out that viruses don't spread through the chin.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

I had no problem wearing a mask where asked to wear one.  

Scientists were dealing with something they didn't have specific experience with. So, they were giving their best advice based on what they knew. 

Now, if something like this happens again, we will have more knowledge about what works and what doesn't.

5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Sources from NYT for all the mask mandate truthers.  

This is controlling for per capita but isn't controlling for population density, which would obviously skew these differently when you think of the types of places that did and didn't have mask mandates. 

At the end of the day, all masks were supposed to be was a just-barely-intrusive aid based off of little comprehensive understanding. Even if the conclusion is definitively that they didn't work and mandates were wrong and a mistake... eh. Big surprise that on-the-fly recommendations for a once in a generation crisis weren't perfect.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1