Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And the weird thing is this tangent is based off my statement yesterday that the Big XII is going to be the first P5 conference to fold. Which I stand behind, because it's a business venture held together by disparate cultures and entities, without the solid, unified core of the SEC, ACC, Big Ten or PAC-12.

The heart of the Big XII is the old Big 8. Of those, only five remain - Oklahoma, Okie State, Iowa State, Kansas & Kansas State. Of those, only one is a marquee team. The other four have no cachet. Only Oklahoma is a blue blood.

Of the old SWC refugees the Big XII pulled in to screw Nebraska, only three remain (although they've since added TCU), and of those only Texas is a marquee team. Nobody cares if Baylor, Texas Tech or TCU come or go. And Nebraska doesn't have a history with those teams more relevant than any team in the Big Ten. 

This is all to say that, were Nebraska to go back to the Big XII, they'd just hasten their own demise. It's a lackluster conference and the least relevant of the P5. Its two big names have had one foot out the door since before Nebraska left, and that's not going to change just because a Husker team needing to rebuild comes begging back, hat in hand.

The Skinny Big-12 "could" be a better fit for NU even if it lacks Colorado.  You would get to play OU every Thanksgiving (the Cowboys would understand, believe me) and be able to develop real annual rivalries that help recruit the state of TX.  Of course, you likely wouldn't opt out of the $50 million media deal to try it out 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Penn State is really the only program in modern times to have any real national success in the north east.  I don't see that going away any time soon due to lack of fans.  

California basically always has had just USC and to a lesser extent UCLA.  Their fan bases have always been fickle and show up only when their teams are good.  

These areas will eb and flow with the times just like every other part of the country.  College football has almost always been a midwest/south east sport.  That doesn't mean other areas haven't had or aren't going to have major programs.  

I dunno if I would call a fanbase with other interests year round as fickle. Just because a program isnt in its own world under the microscope 365 days a year doesnt mean they dont have a loyal following.

Frankly, if I was say a USC fan, I too prolly wouldnt be as big of a college football fan year round when I have the lakers winning titles, dodgers always competing, and many many many many other entertain options that dont exist in most other college towns.

8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

bro just stop... You're in your own head cooking up fake stories if u really think football is nothing more than afterthought or barely hanging on lololol

If you think football is anything but an afterthought in

new york

massachusets

new jersey

new hampshire

connecticut

maine

vermont

rhode island 

it is barely hanging on in many areas of ghose states. I’ve been up there, it’s true. I guess Forbes is wrong too then lol 

Oh you don’t think it’s hanging by a thread in those places- I want what you’re smoking please 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Ok

I’m glad you can admit that the passion people have for football varies in our country. The people in California and New Jersey care less about the game and it’s not part of the culture like it is in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama. Georgia. Tennessee , Florida, South Carolina  etc Pennsylvania is coal country, it’s not New York, mass, conn, Vermont, nh,  Maine etc 

over time with as Forbes calls it the rapidly declining state of the game and it becoming a regional sport , the regions it survives in will not be the west or the northeast. The pac 12 has already shown they don’t care about football, their teams are weak with exception of Oregon and they are on the decline. 

Ummm...I (along with others) have said the bolded several times.

The problem I have with your argument is that you leave out the word "college" before football.

I pointed out that the North East loves their NFL.  That is a love of the game just like people in Nebraska love college football.  

There are pockets all over the country where people love football on some level.  Someone mentioned Washington and Oregon.  I've been to Washington for a game.  It's nuts.  Oregon is probably the same.  USC and UCLA draw big crowds when their teams are really good.

Now...the midwest and southeast have a bigger fan base for college football.  That, is what I think you are trying to talk about.  But...that's the way it has ALWAYS been.  It's not like California and New York are losing fans but the rest of the country isn't.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

If you think football is anything but an afterthought in

new york

massachusets

new jersey

new hampshire

connecticut

maine

vermont

rhode island 

I want what you’re smoking lol 

Is that supposed to be evidence of the declining interest in college football?

Football fan interest has been low in those states for decades. You probably have to go back to when Army/Navy were winning titles.

• Plus1 2

California and New York have outlawed youth football before age 12-14

their youth numbers and high school numbers have been severely  tanking for years. Eventually that affects your college numbers and fan numbers. Yes not every non player doesn’t hate the game, but almost every player does become a fan. 

the numbers are the numbers. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Ok

I’m glad you can admit that the passion people have for football varies in our country. The people in California and New Jersey care less about the game and it’s not part of the culture like it is in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Alabama. Georgia. Tennessee , Florida, South Carolina  etc Pennsylvania is coal country, it’s not New York, mass, conn, Vermont, nh,  Maine etc 

over time with as Forbes calls it the rapidly declining state of the game and it becoming a regional sport , the regions it survives in will not be the west or the northeast. The pac 12 has already shown they don’t care about football, their teams are weak with exception of Oregon and they are on the decline. 

This is some selective picks on your part, no?  When considering the national stage, the Pac12 actually has a much better resume than the Big10 in football in this century.  

Outside of bamas run, USC prolly still holds the #2 status for most successful/productive dynastic run on the sport this century,

LA itself is considered to be the most productive area of elite football talent concentrated in one specific area that small. 

You can still take back your comment pac12 football wont exist... or u can keep going down a path of denial up to you

• Plus1 2
Just now, Omaha fan said:

their youth numbers and high school numbers have been severely  tanking for years. Eventually that affects your college numbers and fan numbers. Yes not every non player doesn’t hate the game, but almost every player does become a fan. 

the numbers are the numbers. 

And, the numbers in Nebraska are way down.

So....in 10 years Nebraska will change Memorial stadium to a soccer field?

• Plus1 1

As a Stanford and PAC-12 fan I could see Cal Berkeley doing away with football.  Right now their athletic department is under water financially and most people in the administration are not football advocates.   Stanford is never going to be a top 25 team again.  Jim Harbaugh's ability to recruit will not be replicated. 

Stanford loses out too often for elite players due to admissions.    But even if Stanford becomes a PAC-12 cellar dweller I don't see the sport being eliminated.  It is the only money maker in the Athletic Department.  If they do away with football all sports would have to be eliminated and I can't see that happening.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Do you have sources for these claims? California passed a law in 2018/2019 to limit youth football contact and make changes to the overall practice structure, but I see no evidence of "outlawed youth football." Same with New York. There was a bill put in front of legislators in late 2019 called the John Mackey Youth Football Protection Act but, so far as I can find, it didn't pass.