Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

5 minutes ago, Charles Anderson said:

As a Stanford and PAC-12 fan I could see Cal Berkeley doing away with football.  Right now their athletic department is under water financially and most people in the administration are not football advocates.   Stanford is never going to be a top 25 team again.  Jim Harbaugh's ability to recruit will not be replicated. 

Stanford loses out too often for elite players due to admissions.    But even if Stanford becomes a PAC-12 cellar dwellar I don't see the sport being eliminated.  It is the only money maker in the Athletic Department.  If they due away with football all sports would have to be eliminated and I can't see that happening.

Oregon state and Washington state have the money, fans,  interest and passion to keep playing? They aren’t part of the big10 where they can succle at the teet of a fat tv contract because there just isn’t the interest out there to garner a big tv deal. The interest level just isn’t there 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

It might not be fair though due to all the people leaving California lol - they lost 190,000 people in 2018 alone https://www.google.com/amp/s/calmatters.org/california-divide/2020/01/not-the-golden-state-anymore-middle-and-low-income-people-leaving-california/

What does this article have to do with the conversation?  There has been a migration for decades from the north central to warmer climates.  That's been a big reason why sports like football have thrived in the SEC but not so much up north.

But....that doesn't have anything to do with the per capita fan base of those regions.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What does this article have to do with the conversation?  There has been a migration for decades from the north central to warmer climates.  That's been a big reason why sports like football have thrived in the SEC but not so much up north.

But....that doesn't have anything to do with the per capita fan base of those regions.

People are moving out of California , it was a joke. California is warm, but people are moving from there. Yes their numbers are down in Cali, but part of it may be due to migration. Lol you know, rolling blackouts, riots, taxes etc 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Charles Anderson said:

The PAC-12 has a horrendous tv deal.  The PAC-12 management should be pushed out and look for a better deal.  I don't what that would be but anything is better than the status quo.

They don’t have a good deal because their viewership numbers suck. College football just isn’t big out there especially  beyond their own team, it’s just not a thing. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Omaha fan said:

They don’t have a good deal because their viewership numbers suck. College football just isn’t big out there especially  beyond their own team, it’s just not a thing. 

Viewership is far from SEC, but the opinion of most PAC-12 fans is a much better deal could be had.

Yes one good example would be to make a deal with directTV but PAC-12 management refuses to negotiate in good faith.  They are delusional about what they think the football product is worth.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

So we shouldn't be worried about the Nebraska decrease in participation, but the smaller decrease in participation in California will mark the end of Pac12 football?

Like I said in Nebraska our participation numbers were always great, especially in rural areas. We lagged behind California as far as drops in the early - mid 2000s- people were shocked at my numbers when I shared. Our dip didn’t come till much later. Partly due to the coastal lag and partly due to the dying off of small towns. Football is hurting here, but not anything like it is in other parts of the country. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Charles Anderson said:

The PAC-12 has a horrendous tv deal.  The PAC-12 management should be pushed out and look for a better deal.  I don't what that would be but anything is better than the status quo.

100%... The friday football night game and constantly relegated to 730 pm saturday, maybe 430-5 at best (unless ABC national game) they really get the bad end of the attention spectrum.  They're doing their schools a disservice by not better positioning themselves natioanlly

I think part of this is due to their gamble on the Pac12 network being successful which hasnt really been the case

27 minutes ago, Charles Anderson said:

As a Stanford and PAC-12 fan I could see Cal Berkeley doing away with football.  Right now their athletic department is under water financially and most people in the administration are not football advocates.   Stanford is never going to be a top 25 team again.  Jim Harbaugh's ability to recruit will not be replicated. 

Stanford loses out too often for elite players due to admissions.    But even if Stanford becomes a PAC-12 cellar dweller I don't see the sport being eliminated.  It is the only money maker in the Athletic Department.  If they do away with football all sports would have to be eliminated and I can't see that happening.

Football isnt going anywhere in Berkeley after that controversial AF stadium investment, new facilities and tearing down of those historic trees that caught a lot of local attention.  Similar to your Stanford breakdown, the only event I see football going away is when most if not all other sports cease to exist as well.  

If cal were to make that decision, I honestly think it would result in them being removed from the Pac 12 altogether and getting replaced with another institution 

37 minutes ago, Charles Anderson said:

But even if Stanford becomes a PAC-12 cellar dweller I don't see the sport being eliminated.  It is the only money maker in the Athletic Department

I don't understand how this is possible when you have an elite Volleyball team year in and year out. 

You guys just won three of the last four national championships. What's attendance like at home matches?

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I don't understand how this is possible when you have an elite Volleyball team year in and year out. 

You guys just won three of the last four national championships. What's attendance like at home matches?

Games are a blast, but pure #s wise nowhere close to a game at nebraska.  Much smaller venue. no idea what the official capacity is but significantly smaller than devaney 

Also worth consider Stanford's national brand is much larger than the school size itself. Wanna say undergrad population is only like 6k and on campus/affordable housing nearby isnt exactly the easiest to come by where the campus is located so student base is spread out a bit relative to other power 5 universities