Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I'm sure they are, the person just seemed so certain I figured they'd seen it written somewhere.

Friend's wife works in the finance department for a local P5 university- budgetary and resource planning to be specific, and their leading model that they're providing to the regents and board is assuming a 2020-2021 year where no on campus services are provided until Jan 2021 at the earliest.  Obviously they have various scenarios in flight but often rumored return to normalcy plans that still restrict public gathers in excess of 500 or 1000 people would still rule out all universities we're talking about.  

Key word in my comment is planning.  

There is also a decision date at hand here.  Most likely these universities will probably make a call in the June timeframe knowing they can't just wait until right before the year starts to make a final call.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Friend's wife works in the finance department for a local P5 university- budgetary and resource planning to be specific, and their leading model that they're providing to the regents and board is assuming a 2020-2021 year where no on campus services are provided until Jan 2021 at the earliest.  Obviously they have various scenarios in flight but often rumored return to normalcy plans that still restrict public gathers in excess of 500 or 1000 people would still rule out all universities we're talking about.  

Key word in my comment is planning.  

There is also a decision date at hand here.  Most likely these universities will probably make a call in the June timeframe knowing they can't just wait until right before the year starts to make a final call.

Thanks for the explanation.  I saw you said planning yes, but you also said this:

I promise you the whole kids going back to campus thing isn't happening in the fall.

Just confirming as I was truly interested in what schools were thinking.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Thanks for the explanation.  I saw you said planning yes, but you also said this:

I promise you the whole kids going back to campus thing isn't happening in the fall.

Just confirming as I was truly interested in what schools were thinking.

The promise I made was my opinion and def not a promise I should be hanging my hat on as its not based on any inside source lol.  Should have clarified that the statements were loosely connected 

More so just connecting the dots.  I don't see how a majority university, or really any mid-level and above with 1000+ students is going to be able to have on campus living and education if a return to normal means we're still restricting large gatherings.  If the concern of fans in the stands is too many people, I don't see how a large dorm, dining hall, common services that makes up a university would exist in that world.

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

lol well then no sports... I promise you the whole kids going back to campus thing isn't happening in the fall.  All major universities are planning on remote based education unless something drastic changes in the next 60 days.

Pandemic+ dorms+dining halls+ common areas+thousands of people= not happening

That's what I am saying - you are making my point. If kids aren't on campus going to classes they aren't going to have athletes playing sports. 

24 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

The promise I made was my opinion and def not a promise I should be hanging my hat on as its not based on any inside source lol.  Should have clarified that the statements were loosely connected 

More so just connecting the dots.  I don't see how a majority university, or really any mid-level and above with 1000+ students is going to be able to have on campus living and education if a return to normal means we're still restricting large gatherings.  If the concern of fans in the stands is too many people, I don't see how a large dorm, dining hall, common services that makes up a university would exist in that world.

Gotcha.  I think that seems logical, especially when secondary education can be conducted online relatively easily. Since the onus is more on the student in college to succeed anyway, that would be definitely an option.  Who knows, this may mark a permanent shift for some colleges to do away with in person classes and living on campus.  The rest of the year will be very interesting to say the least.

It looks like there is a sports task force that will be looking at when and how to reopen sporting events. I did not see a name for NCAA but there were names for most pro sports. I would guess if the NFL comes up with a plan that NCAA football could piggy back on it a bit.  If this belongs elsewhere please move it but it seems in line with this thread.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/04/14/president-donald-trump-speaking-sports-leaders-reopening-country/2994033001/

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

They are starting w/o fans, and a round of golf w/o carts is pretty much the definition of social distancing.

Yes, a casual round of golf can occur with social distancing. However, the PGA tour is comprised of players and caddies from all over the U.S. and the rest of the world. I hope they can make it work, but it still would be a large gathering of people from all different areas, which is what we are supposed to be limiting.  Hopefully the social distancing over the next 8 weeks will get the curve on the downward trajectory. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

That annoys the hell out of me. Having the golf courses open is a privilege, people should be taking steps to maintain social distancing. 

Shoot, we had a slow group in front of us...and this was with 15 minute times...they let us pass, they got out of the carts and came over to us...chatted us up.

Then we got lost on the course (construction) and another dude helped us out, came right up to my cart, pointed on my scorecard and everything.