The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Why is Biden a “bad” candidate?   Serious question for anyone who doesn’t have a username starting with “A”.   

Because if he dies, a democratic woman of color becoming president will mean the end of time as they know it. Their words, not mine.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

The reality is that most Americans support some policies on both sides if moderated in the middle.  Problem is both parties are pulling us apart and trying to pull everything to their extreme.  Compromise and moderation is what we need.  That isn't happening any time soon with the people in charge.

Edit:  I should add Fear mongering has added to the issue as well.

The reality is also that the "middle" is not between the two parties. The two party system in America has absolutely crippled our ability to have real discussions about policies and positions. The Overton window is a real thing.

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

You're 100% correct. Most of us are a mix of conservative and liberal. Almost nobody is so polarized they can't find something from both sides of the political spectrum to agree with. 

We've just had such garbage candidates at all levels for so long that politics itself is polarized. The electorate doesn't want that. But we only have so many choices on the ballot. 

I mean, the electorate keeps voting in these candidates. I'd love for there to be ranked choice voting or an equivalent, but I'm not certain we'd get any better candidates in the end.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Why is Biden a “bad” candidate?   Serious question for anyone who doesn’t have a username starting with “A”.   

I think it is just the fear of his health.  When was the last time we had a President die in office?  I would imagine it is always a concern especially when they are older.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think it is just the fear of his health.  When was the last time we had a President die in office?  I would imagine it is always a concern especially when they are older.

If an unbiased dr did the physical, I’d be shocked if Biden was in worse health than Trump.  

Hopefully they’re both retired by 2028…

• TBH 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If an unbiased dr did the physical, I’d be shocked if Biden was in worse health than Trump.  

Hopefully they’re both retired by 2028…

You are probably right.

I know living into your 90's research shows that you are better being a little "overweight" instead of skinny but of course, not obese.  I am guessing Trump its in the obese category 

• Plus1 1

Who :dunno What:dunno   -- remember this guy from the 2020 Georgia General Election vs Trump

No Labels Considering Georgia Republican Geoff Duncan to Lead ‘Unity’ Presidential Ticket

https://www.wsj.com/politics/elections/no-labels-geoff-duncan-2024-f3c063ad

Duncan, a lifelong Republican, was one of the first elected leaders of his party to publicly reject unfounded claims by others in the GOP that the 2020 election in Georgia—which Trump narrowly lost—had been rigged. He also defended Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who oversees elections, when he faced calls to resign from the former president’s allies. Duncan publicly condemned the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol. 

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You are probably right.

I know living into your 90's research shows that you are better being a little "overweight" instead of skinny but of course, not obese.  I am guessing Trump its in the obese category 

I don't know why I felt the need to google it, but his last exam in office showed 243, which is slightly obese for his height. He claimed recently he's 215 now. He does look like he's lost weight, but I'm guessing he's more like 230 now, which is overweight.

Edit: woops, I was looking at the overweight ranges not healthy. He's merely overweight now.

• Worth a Look 1
19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't know why I felt the need to google it, but his last exam in office showed 243, which is slightly obese for his height. He claimed recently he's 215 now. He does look like he's lost weight, but I'm guessing he's more like 230 now, which is overweight.

Edit: woops, I was looking at the overweight ranges not healthy. He's merely overweight now.

I have not looked at a chart in forever but the "obese" range at one time was nuts.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

No way Trump is not easily in the obese category. If he’s 243 or lighter I’ll eat my hat. Says he is 6’-3” and 215. The eye test appears to be more like 6’-2” tops and easily 250+. BetOnline had the over/under on his weight at 278.5# as recently as Aug 2023.

6’-3” & 215…..:lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I have not looked at a chart in forever but the "obese" range at one time was nuts.  

The problem is it doesn't take body composition into account. The only exercise Trump gets is golfing and doing rallies, by his own admission. 

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

No way Trump is not easily in the obese category. If he’s 243 or lighter I’ll eat my hat. Says he is 6’-3” and 215. The eye test appears to be more like 6’-2” tops and easily 250+. BetOnline had the over/under on his weight at 278.5# as recently as Aug 2023.

6’-3” & 215…..:lol:

I saw this some time ago on the matter and whenever I remember it I always get a good chuckle.

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I saw this some time ago on the matter and whenever I remember it I always get a good chuckle.

Wait….which one is Trump and which is the fat old dumpy liar guy. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
22 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Because he stands in the way of an authoritarian utopia where oligarchs rob the country blind and live the life of luxury off the backs of everyone else ala Russia, Hungary, North Korea, China.  You know all his favorite regimes.  

• Plus1 1
On 3/8/2024 at 11:47 AM, Decoy73 said:

Because of the coalitions that make up the Democratic Party, having a "good" candidate that appeals to that coalition is really difficult. 

The party consists of college educated voters concentrated on the coasts, minority voters in the south, and white union voters in the Midwest. In this coalition, the white female college graduate who lives in California has very different views (climate change, LGTBQ rights) than southern African American voters (police reform, social program investments) who are also much different than Midwest Union voters (trade protection policies). A Democrat in California is a lot different than a democrat in Michigan who is a lot different than a democrat in Georgia. 

Pete Buttigieg was a very competitive candidate - and does very well in TV interviews and in debates - with coastal Democrats. However, he had next to no appeal to southern minority voters who dubbed him "Mayo Pete" (which is kind of funny) because he was seen as not really understanding Black voters. All Democrat candidates struggled to appeal to all parts of the coalition, leaving only Joe Biden who was sort of the second or third favorite for each of them as the winner. This is also why it's dangerous for Democrats to move onto a different candidate other than Joe Biden, because they risk alienating any part of that coalition and they'd likely lose.

Compare this with the Republican coalition - which are white voters without college degrees - and their political objects don't change all that much. A white voter without a college degree in Nebraska mostly wants the same thing as a white voter without a college degree in Florida, who wants mostly the same thing as a white voter without a college degree in Texas. It's easier for Republican candidates to nominate anybody with an R next to their name because really anybody appeals to those voters.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1