The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

This doesn't help:

Wasn’t that an add in 2017/2018 before he was a Governor?  Pandering to a constituency that had a 90+% favorability to Trump at that time makes him Trump 2.0???  Surely you can do better than this?  

Now if you would have said policy wise they are pretty much the same without the narcissism, then I could definitely understand that.  

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Wasn’t that an add in 2017/2018 before he was a Governor?  Pandering to a constituency that had a 90+% favorability to Trump at that time makes him Trump 2.0???  Surely you can do better than this?  

Now if you would have said policy wise they are pretty much the same without the narcissism, then I could definitely understand that.  

All I said was it doesn't help.

Shameless, explicit (and condescending) pandering, not to issues or principles but to the brand of a cult of personality, used to be considered shameless and condescending before Trump shifted the Overton window. I think that's lame and Trump-influenced and Trump-esque across the board, certainly not exclusive to DeSantis but absolutely includes him. 

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This doesn't help:

Pretty pathetic.  It is politically dangerous if not reckless  to attached your name to the hip of someone like Trump.  Who knows what will become of Trump's legal issues as well as the final findings of the Jan 6 commission.  You never know which way the wind will be blowing and these finger in the air GOPers will drift wt the breeze.   These GOP politicians need to learn to stand on their own record, accomplishments and policies. 

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

All I said was it doesn't help.

Shameless, explicit (and condescending) pandering, not to issues or principles but to the brand of a cult of personality, used to be considered shameless and condescending before Trump shifted the Overton window. I think that's lame and Trump-influenced and Trump-esque across the board, certainly not exclusive to DeSantis but absolutely includes him. 

I agree wholeheartedly that a cult of personality is bad.  It should start and stop with policy. 

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Well TG - they'd have to have their own records, accomplishments and policies, and most of them don't.  

Coattail riders are all they are.  Find the hot ticket and get on the train and act like you laid the train tracks and built the steam engine.  (Kind of like "I invented the internet' but I digress!)  

14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Okay, so if Joe runs again there is no way he gets another record # of votes, right?  Also, does he run with Harris?  

If Trump runs, does he lose any votes from last time?

I thought Joe said he was going to be a one-term only President.   I think the 2024 election will be open on both sides of the fence if Joe doesn't run.  Kamala has done nothing showing her to be capable of being President, and I don't believe she's overly popular in the Dem circles.   Not sure who the front runner of either party will be.  Sadly I see more consistency on the GOP side, even if it's the crazy train of trump 2.0 and that consistency may be enough to flip seats in 2022 and win the 2024 election.

13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree wholeheartedly that a cult of personality is bad.  It should start and stop with policy. 

I think we all agree on that. But at this moment in time, in Republican primary races across the spectrum, the #1 issue is how loyal you are to Donald Trump. 

I keep hearing about Republicans who feel like you do, but they've been either quiet, complicit, or shouted down by their own party. Or maybe they're lying. I believe both Donald Trump and Donald Trump Jr. still poll higher than Republicans willing to discuss policy. 

Ron DeSantis certainly had a choice when he chose to make a full-throated endorsement for the cult of personality. 

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think we all agree on that. But at this moment in time, in Republican primary races across the spectrum, the #1 issue is how loyal you are to Donald Trump. 

I keep hearing about Republicans who feel like you do, but they've been either quiet, complicit, or shouted down by their own party. Or maybe they're lying. I believe both Donald Trump and Donald Trump Jr. still poll higher than Republicans willing to discuss policy. 

Ron DeSantis certainly had a choice when he chose to make a full-throated endorsement for the cult of personality. 

Spot on. DeSantis proved his lack of political independence when he hitched his horse, wagon, future to the trump train.  The GOP should be on a suicide watch - it is a slow burn but it is coming if smarter voices don't take control. If the Dems had their act together had broaden their tent to reach out to more moderate and even center right GOPers, it would speed up the burn.  The GOP will become a minor party if it continues to move alt right or it can kick out those alt righters and try to regain a more center right to moderate position. But it will take leadership willing to work at it over a period of a few election cycles.  

7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Spot on. DeSantis proved his lack of political independence when he hitched his horse, wagon, future to the trump train.  The GOP should be on a suicide watch - it is a slow burn but it is coming if smarter voices don't take control. If the Dems had their act together had broaden their tent to reach out to more moderate and even center right GOPers, it would speed up the burn.  The GOP will become a minor party if it continues to move alt right or it can kick out those alt righters and try to regain a more center right to moderate position. But it will take leadership willing to work at it over a period of a few election cycles.  

Here is the approval ratings for DeSantis.  Far from minority party status in the state of Florida.   A state with a mixed population. 

https://www.miamichamber.com/news/poll-gov-ron-desantis-one-most-popular-governors-america

https://amp.tallahassee.com/amp/6178931001

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Unfortunately, this is not correct.

The GOP is extremely likely to dominate elections in the future, particularly in the Senate.

They can stay on the crazy train, alt-right path and still win. We're a country that's going to be dominated by minority rule for the next two decades. That's the scary part. 

• Plus1 1
On 12/30/2021 at 10:43 PM, Dr. Strangelove said:

Unfortunately, this is not correct.

The GOP is extremely likely to dominate elections in the future, particularly in the Senate.

They can stay on the crazy train, alt-right path and still win. We're a country that's going to be dominated by minority rule for the next two decades. That's the scary part. 

Everything is cyclical. The GOP may very well dominate in the next 2 elections but they will overplay their hand and I we see a return to a more center government   If they continue this hard crazy right push others will eventually rise up to counter 

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election