Related question:

Do you guys find that you can buy the same exact jeans in a store now that you could find there 10 years ago?

I was reading once that with women they change it up because they think we want new things but that most of us don't want new every day things. We want to be able to go to the store and know our favorite jeans are there. And also I noticed J Crew went out of business... from about 16-30 I was able to do that with them. Then they decided to start changing styles every 6 months and I never bought from them anymore.

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

See below.

+1

And no, I don't wear the high socks and boots or NB's.

Merrell with ankle socks.

I can respect that look.  The boots and NB's scream "I'm a dad".

I have the knockoff version of the ridge wallet and it's almost exactly the same thing (maybe not quite as nice) but it cost me like $15 instead of $125.  Like it way more than a traditional wallet.

12 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I can respect that look.  The boots and NB's scream "I'm a dad".

I have the knockoff version of the ridge wallet and it's almost exactly the same thing (maybe not quite as nice) but it cost me like $15 instead of $125.  Like it way more than a traditional wallet.

Do you know the name or have a link for that wallet?

9 minutes ago, GSG said:

Do you know the name or have a link for that wallet?

Go to Amazon and search for Ridge wallet and it will bring up a ton of options if you want to look for some variety.

Otherwise, I think this is the one I have:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carbon-Fiber-Money-Clip-Wallet-Aluminum-Credit-Card-Wallet-Mens-Minimalist-Slim-Credit-Card-Holder/104909172?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101003192

• Thanks 1

Wow....in 17 hours my drunk post goes to 5 pages.  BOOM!!!

I really started wearing cargo shorts when I was a contractor...and...yes...I used all the pockets.  I absolutely can't stand lightweight shorts working in the yard or on a project.  I need something heavy/rugged with pockets to put tools, screws....etc.

The only time I wear athletic shorts are laying around the house or exercising.  You put anything in the pockets and their falling down.  Sure, you can tie them, but then you really have to go to the bathroom bad and the damn knot is F'ed up and you can't get them untied.  And...sometimes I need the belt to hang a tape measure on...etc.  Doing any project in athletic shorts sucks.

Cut offs.  OK....I would never wear them to the store, or running around.  But...I live on 6 acres 8 miles from town and about 5 cars drive by in a day.  Nobody sees me.  I don't see the issue with using an old pair of jeans to make a good pair of yard work shorts.

I wear a lot of golf shorts when I go out or am actually golfing.  I picked up a really nice pair at Dillards on Sunday.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Decked said:

From a 23 year old: anything shorts wise above the knee excluding jean shorts (unless it is ironically) is in..so long as they are not cargos. What do you need all those pockets for? What are you carrying? :lol:

I don't presume to understand fashion at all, but this is hilarious to me because when I was in my teens and 20s, anything above the knee was an immense faux pas. 

Also, wear whatever the hell you want; you're a grown-a$$ man

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow....in 17 hours my drunk post goes to 5 pages.  BOOM!!!

I really started wearing cargo shorts when I was a contractor...and...yes...I used all the pockets.  I absolutely can't stand lightweight shorts working in the yard or on a project.  I need something heavy/rugged with pockets to put tools, screws....etc.

The only time I wear athletic shorts are laying around the house or exercising.  You put anything in the pockets and their falling down.  Sure, you can tie them, but then you really have to go to the bathroom bad and the damn knot is F'ed up and you can't get them untied.  And...sometimes I need the belt to hang a tape measure on...etc.  Doing any project in athletic shorts sucks.

Cut offs.  OK....I would never wear them to the store, or running around.  But...I live on 6 acres 8 miles from town and about 5 cars drive by in a day.  Nobody sees me.  I don't see the issue with using an old pair of jeans to make a good pair of yard work shorts.

I wear a lot of golf shorts when I go out or am actually golfing.  I picked up a really nice pair at Dillards on Sunday.

The thing I hate with athletic shorts are the pockets...my phone and/or wallet will fall out when I am driving.  I hate that.

Also, you sound like you live where Leatherface lived.

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't presume to understand fashion at all, but this is hilarious to me because when I was in my teens and 20s, anything above the knee was an immense faux pas. 

Also, wear whatever the hell you want; you're a grown-a$$ man

As to the knee thing.  Thank GOD nobody on here has said I should be wearing those extra long shorts that you see guys wearing that look like baggy capris.  

And...I like your  last sentence.  

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Related question:

Do you guys find that you can buy the same exact jeans in a store now that you could find there 10 years ago?

I was reading once that with women they change it up because they think we want new things but that most of us don't want new every day things. We want to be able to go to the store and know our favorite jeans are there. And also I noticed J Crew went out of business... from about 16-30 I was able to do that with them. Then they decided to start changing styles every 6 months and I never bought from them anymore.

Jeans today seem to to be a little more tapered and have a little bit more 'give' in the waistband compared to 10 years ago.  A darker wash also seems to be more popular now than 10 years ago (I could be totally wrong there).  I personally haven't ordered custom jeans but know a couple people who do and they seem to be happy.

As for shorts, I live in plaid shorts or Ralph Lauren Madras shorts pretty much all the time.  I can wear them on the golf course and they are dressy enough that I can wear a button down and some loafers to go sit on a patio.  I also have a pair of seersucker shorts that look sharp with the right shirt.  Otherwise, I'm in the usual Nike/UA/Reebok athletic shorts.  I couldn't tell you the last time I wore cargo shorts but I remember living in them when I was in college 15 years ago and they were immensely popular.

24 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The thing I hate with athletic shorts are the pockets...my phone and/or wallet will fall out when I am driving.  I hate that.

Also, you sound like you live where Leatherface lived.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly, so why would you wear them working around the house when everything is falling out of your pockets?

I have basically lived in basketball shorts since March. Having to put dress pants back on in a few weeks is going to be depressing. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Go to Amazon and search for Ridge wallet and it will bring up a ton of options if you want to look for some variety.

Otherwise, I think this is the one I have:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carbon-Fiber-Money-Clip-Wallet-Aluminum-Credit-Card-Wallet-Mens-Minimalist-Slim-Credit-Card-Holder/104909172?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101003192

I've been buying my wallets from Stewart/Strand lately, I love them.  They have RFID protection built in and are pretty well made and stylish but on the downside I've found I need to replace them about every 12-18 months because they get pretty beat up.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly, so why would you wear them working around the house when everything is falling out of your pockets?

I don't put things in my pockets when I'm working around the house. Unless you're talking about repairs? Mowing the lawn, basic yard work, grilling, cleaning/cooking... that's when I'm wearing athletic shorts.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I don't put things in my pockets when I'm working around the house. Unless you're talking about repairs? Mowing the lawn, basic yard work, grilling, cleaning/cooking... that's when I'm wearing athletic shorts.

I will put my phone in my athletic shorts pocket to listen to music or a podcast while I am mowing the lawn or walking around the yard doing yard work.  If I am staying in one relative spot, I will keep set my phone on a flat surface in one spot.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I will put my phone in my athletic shorts pocket to listen to music or a podcast while I am mowing the lawn or walking around the yard doing yard work.  If I am staying in one relative spot, I will keep set my phone on a flat surface in one spot.

How do you hear the music with your lawnmower going? Or do I just have an unusually loud mower?

When I'm outside grilling I bring my phone and my little bluetooth speaker so I can play music, but I don't need pockets to carry those.