2020 Nebraska - An Independent Season?

knapplc

If Nebraska somehow pulls off going rouge it could make Nebraska a lot more competitive:

-Eligibility and recruiting is messed up for every other school

-Nebraska athletic department is the only one that doesn't take a massive hit

-Players grow and develop a lot faster playing games

-Scott Frost looks like he'll go the extra mile to do what he feels is right

On the downside we might get kicked out of the B10 or at the very least our relationship is damaged. Also, it would be a bad look if half our team got Covid, even if it happened to a teams like Rutgers not playing at all- Neb would be the one talked about and shamed.

• Plus1 2

25 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Nebraska was the only one that voted to play. It was 13-1

2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Not true

Can one of you post the link to this vote tally?  I can't find it.

Also, to the next post, I don't think being independent is anywhere near as rosy as the glasses you are looking at it through.

1 minute ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

If Nebraska somehow pulls off going rouge it could make Nebraska a lot more competitive:

-Eligibility and recruiting is messed up for every other school

-Nebraska athletic department is the only one that doesn't take a massive hit

-Players grow and develop a lot faster playing games

-Scott Frost looks like he'll go the extra mile to do what he feels is right

On the downside we might get kicked out of the B10 or at the very least our relationship is damaged. Also, it would be a bad look if half our team got Covid, even if it happened to a teams like Rutgers not playing at all- Neb would be the one talked about and shamed.

Our relationship has already been damaged...we stepped out of line in challenging this decision, so things are not going to improve.  We have already been given the shaft for many years now in scheduling and finances.  To be honest, I think the NU brass have been looking for a way to leave the conference for some time now and now have the perfect opportunity to not be the ones to pull the trigger.  Now all we have to do is schedule some games this fall and the rest will take care of itself.  We will sue for lost contract money and will easily win.  Then we will declare as an Independent.  We make the rules.  We make the schedules (NO OSU!).  We get all the TV revenue for our televised games.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Can one of you post the link to this vote tally?  I can't find it.

Also, to the next post, I don't think being independent is anywhere near as rosy as the glasses you are looking at it through.

Minny ad said their was no vote.  She just agreed to the final decision

Heck, by now probably half the team has already had it.  We will likely never know. We know some have.  

We can play 4 games with the available red shirts and not lose any eligibility.  Not sure how many guys fit this but still get some good experience.  

Play ND State, SD State, IA state and KState and host them all. Teams can test in Lincoln on Friday to clear them all.  No prob.  

Keep fans away from the first 5 rows and field level using select exits etc and distance seat all non-families in the stands.  The sections can be roped off.  Designate rest rooms and monitor their use.  Skip concessions or sell them outside.  

There are plenty of ways to get in a shortened season certainly.   

TV can be pay per view etc.  

They can cut the loss by 30 million or more.  

Same can be done for other sports.  

It all comes down to the Big Ten contractual docs.  I am sure somebody has bothered to check this out long ago.  It seems likely there are provisions for contingency games, etc.  Games do get cancelled now and then so schools would retain rights to replace them as situations arise.  

I am sure the Big Ten execs would have already stated it if limits were clear to prohibit NU from going elsewhere for sub competition.   Not all teams / programs are alike in many ways. 

6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Heck, by now probably half the team has already had it.  We will likely never know. We know some have.  

We can play 4 games with the available red shirts and not lose any eligibility.  Not sure how many guys fit this but still get some good experience.  

Play ND State, SD State, IA state and KState and host them all. Teams can test in Lincoln on Friday to clear them all.  No prob.  

Keep fans away from the first 5 rows and field level using select exits etc and distance seat all non-families in the stands.  The sections can be roped off.  Designate rest rooms and monitor their use.  Skip concessions or sell them outside.  

There are plenty of ways to get in a shortened season certainly.   

TV can be pay per view etc.  

They can cut the loss by 30 million or more.  

Same can be done for other sports.  

It all comes down to the Big Ten contractual docs.  I am sure somebody has bothered to check this out long ago.  It seems likely there are provisions for contingency games, etc.  Games do get cancelled now and then so schools would retain rights to replace them as situations arise.  

I am sure the Big Ten execs would have already stated it if limits were clear to prohibit NU from going elsewhere for sub competition.   Not all teams / programs are alike in many ways. 

wait you think ND State, SD State, IA state and KState all playing Nebraska in Lincoln would bring in 30 million? lol. what

1 minute ago, Bledred said:

Care to elaborate?

A few things:

UNL makes BANK in the Big Ten. It's not only an athletic conference, it's a highly collaborative academic conference. The Big Ten Academic Alliance (formerly the CIC) opens doors to billions of dollars in grants that Nebraska would otherwise have no access to. If that was the only benefit to being a member of the Big Ten, it would be a no-brainer to stay.

Nebraska Athletics make BANK in the Big Ten. Our revenue skyrocketed since joining the conference. It's allowed us to build up our athletic infrastructure, with new facilities for basketball, track, soccer, volleyball, football, gymnastics, and with planned upgrades to several other sports in the upcoming years. 

The Big XII is a garbage conference. It's not the conference we left, and it's not remotely as prestigious as the conference we're in, nor does it make any money. The Big XII doesn't want us any more than the Big Ten wanted us in 2010. The only reason that enthusiasm has soured on either side is because of Nebraska's own piss-poor performance on the field.  

The Big XII is not the Big 8, and it will never be again. Those days are gone and will never return. Colorado is gone, Missouri is gone, even Texas A&M is gone. And they've replaced those good teams with... West Virginia and TCU?  Ugh.  No, thank you. I'd rather play in a conference with Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota. 

Anyone pining for the way things used to be needs to disabuse themselves of that notion. It's never coming back. Oklahoma chose Texas as their rival and that will not change with the return of Nebraska to the Big XII. Iowa State, Kansas and KSU will still hate us and will work against us as much now as they did during the formative years of the Big XII. They are not our friends and they do not have our best interests at heart. The ONLY reason they want us in their conference is we travel to their stadiums and they get a payday when they host us. Period. 

Go independent?  Eh. Maybe. Again, we'd lose out on access to the CIC, which will hurt the school (and let's remember that UNL is actually a school, not a sports factory). We'd have to figure out a contract that will replace the money we're getting from the Big Ten's GOR, which will be pretty damned hard coming off of three straight losing seasons. We are not a marquee name anymore, so we'd be negotiating from a weak position.  We'd have a greater variety of opponents, but we'd also have pissed off not one but two of the G5 conferences, so scheduling those teams would be a difficult task. This is the least likely and least beneficial option for Nebraska, by far.

So... that's just off the top of my head the problems with leaving the B1G. I'm sure others have more in-depth thoughts. 

• Plus1 5
10 minutes ago, internetman said:

wait you think ND State, SD State, IA state and KState all playing Nebraska in Lincoln would bring in 30 million? lol. what

Yup.  TV $ when there are no other games would be juicy.   NU has 20 million fans nationally atleast.  At $5 thats a good ticket.   Sell 15,000 seats to 4 games is a good down payment.     You dont think NU has fans across the country?   

• Haha 1

I've been trying to really think about this through the eyes of a player.  I know I'd desperately want to have my fall season and compete.  But what would an independent Fall season really mean for me:

1. It would create a lot of uncertainty for my eligibility. 

2. Would we actually be competing for anything, or are these glorified scrimmages?

3. Is the risk of injury in a non-competitive season worth possibly missing a conference season in the Spring?

4. Will there be people in attendance in the Spring?  

5. With no Spring Ball and a messed up Fall Camp, are we ready to jump in with Oklahoma, Texas, etc...

Once you get past the extreme disappointment and frustrations, I don't get why a player would want to play "scrimmages" if it could cost a year of eligibility.  Maybe it wouldn't cost them a year of eligibility since the games will be in the same academic year?  Who knows...?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1