Rumors and news of a B1G football season

1 hour ago, nic said:

None of that matters...he is the face of the Big Ten cancellation. All these parent letters are addressed to him. If the other conferences are successful, I would not want to be in his shoes.

It really, really, really does matter. Warren is the messenger, not the decision-maker.

It's like people have never heard the adage, "Don't shoot the messenger."

It's no wonder corporate America is able to advertise so effectively. People just don't get this stuff.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It really, really, really does matter. Warren is the messenger, not the decision-maker.

It's no wonder corporate America is able to advertise so effectively. People just don't get this stuff.

Knapp you're right he's the messenger, but he also has more skin in the game than just a spokesperson. There have been legitimate reports that his preference was to push the season and he shared and advocated for that among undecided President's. Now ultimately it wasn't his call, but if the guy running the conference says it's ok to play some of the President's probably vote differently. I also think he convinced the schools that if they cancelled the other conferences would follow suit. He doesn't deserve all the blame, but he deserves some. 

• Plus1 5

8 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Knapp you're right he's the messenger, but he also has more skin in the game than just a spokesperson. There have been legitimate reports that his preference was to push the season and he shared and advocated for that among undecided President's. Now ultimately it wasn't his call, but if the guy running the conference says it's ok to play some of the President's probably vote differently. I also think he convinced the schools that if they cancelled the other conferences would follow suit. He doesn't deserve all the blame, but he deserves some. 

From the Yacht guy?

The Big Ten appears to have slammed the door shut on fall 2020 fb with the 11-3 vote (after prior vote(s)???, and then dead silence in the face of mass public reaction and weeks to reconsider. Then padlocked and dead bolted that door with a 26 page court reply that offered nothing new and apparently redacted any pro/con discussion, debate and contrary considerations.  They ridicule any objections as meritless nonsense and thumb noses at anyone that dares to speak up.  Not the stance of a party with an open mind to compromise or alternative course. 

The chances appear very slim of any sort of reconsideration despite 3 members with possible alternative ideas.  

In my view, the chances of winter or spring fb are actually going down.  The problems to overcome in such a scenario could be huge.  For example, will the domes even be available- they are homes to NFL teams that may feel their own seasons come first and why would the Vikings or Colts risk their facilities to accommodate a bunch of college kids / teams that were afraid to play in their own arenas?  

St Louis dome even a football ready place any more?   Domes are not free to rent.  how much will it cost to travel all teams and rent stadiums for every game?   Millions surely.  Logistics ?  

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think “messenger” is quite the understatement, no? 

warren and his direct reports is the lead representative for the conference when it comes to negotiating TV contracts which equals revenue.

warren and his team are supposed to be the focal contact point for all universities and athletic teams in the conference.

warren is literally the face of the league regarding any kind of PR activities, such as this.

and again, I think people are shooting the messenger because of how botched this was... you don’t see the uproar and internal fighting with the Pac 12. The pac12 also didn’t do some dumb press announcement of the season only to walk it back 4 days later.  

you bring up corporate America... oftentimes a ceo or exec is pushed out due to the company not delivering results or not sticking tot he trajectory.  Is one person to blame for that? No- more often than not it’s a mix between poor small decisions that finally add up, lack of execution and stronger external factors that lead to their demise.  Regardless they get paid the big bucks for a reason and that’s to be the face of the company to lead them when times are good but take ownership when they’re not.

A “messenger” would be us gunning for a lower level employee that didn’t have any power or input on this at all.

your messenger in this example is the commissioner of the most popular conference football wise in the country who gets paid millions of dollars to make critical decisions and be the face of the league... not quite following your logic 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think “messenger” is quite the understatement, no? 

warren and his direct reports is the lead representative for the conference when it comes to negotiating TV contracts which equals revenue.

warren and his team are supposed to be the focal contact point for all universities and athletic teams in the conference.

warren is literally the face of the league regarding any kind of PR activities, such as this.

and again, I think people are shooting the messenger because of how botched this was... you don’t see the uproar and internal fighting with the Pac 12. The pac12 also didn’t do some dumb press announcement of the season only to walk it back 4 days later.  

you bring up corporate America... oftentimes a ceo or exec is pushed out due to the company not delivering results or not sticking tot he trajectory.  Is one person to blame for that? No- more often than not it’s a mix between poor small decisions that finally add up, lack of execution and stronger external factors that lead to their demise.  Regardless they get paid the big bucks for a reason and that’s to be the face of the company to lead them when times are good but take ownership when they’re not.

A “messenger” would be us gunning for a lower level employee that didn’t have any power or input on this at all.

your messenger in this example is the commissioner of the most popular conference football wise in the country who gets paid millions of dollars to make critical decisions and be the face of the league... not quite following your logic 

No

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No

No, huh?

well stick with your messenger theory. If that actually held any weight, which it doesn’t, then the league should probably reevaluate how it spends its money.

surely they don’t need to hand out millions for just a “messenger”. Could think of a couple high school, maybe college kids we could pay to simply deliver a message if that’s all a power 5 commissioner does these days lolol

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

From the Yacht guy?

Come on you have to think more of me than that?

Going into the call, the sources were told Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren preferred a spring football season, although no decision has been made. The final decision on the Big Ten's fall seasons will be made by Warren and the conference's 14 university presidents, one of the sources said. Detroit Free Press

This report was then sourced and backed up by SI, 247, ESPN, etc. Then McKewon quoted Moos talking about how AD's all voiced support for a season, but Warren didn't share that with the President's and left them out of the discussion.

Athletic directors weren’t in the same Zoom meetings as medical personnel, either. Seasoned athletic veterans like Moos, Wisconsin’s Barry Alvarez, Penn State’s Sandy Barbour and Ohio State’s Gene Smith were left out of key discussions that shaped the league’s decisions.

Instead, first-year Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren was in those meetings as the athletic directors’ voice.

Warren was aware, for example, that every Big Ten athletic director was in favor of playing a fall football season. Moos said he, Ohio State’s, Penn State’s and Michigan’s A.D.s pushed hardest, but there was unanimous agreement, Moos said, in wanting to play.

“He knew where we were coming from, and he was the messenger to the presidents and chancellors,” Moos said.

As easy as consistent Zoom meetings between all parties would have been — all it takes is a computer and a room without chaos — they didn’t happen.

“I knew where our people stood, but I would have liked to have been in the room when they expressed it to the commissioner and our presidents and chancellors,” Moos said. “The commissioner was operating in silos, and the silos weren’t connected. And, in the end, that created varying degrees of communication not being delivered.”

There's legitimate information out there that he preferred spring and didn't advocate for fall at all.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, gossamorharpy said:

No, huh?

well stick with your messenger theory. If that actually held any weight, which it doesn’t, then the league should probably reevaluate how it spends its money.

surely they don’t need to hand out millions for just a “messenger”. Could think of a couple high school, maybe college kids we could pay to simply deliver a message if that’s all a power 5 commissioner does these days lolol

If it didn't hold any weight the Chancellors & Presidents would be out there telling us how Warren has lied or misrepresented what happened. 

They haven't done that. And that tells us he' doing exactly what they want him to do. 

In fact, Nebraska's own president went on record saying exactly what I've been saying happened the whole time. There was a vote, it didn't go our way, and we disagree with the conclusions. But it wasn't Warren acting unilaterally, and it isn't some bizarro political plot. It's a bunch of chancellors & presidents making what they think is the best decision at the time.  

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

There is no way those other schools would have stayed as silent as they have if Warren had decided this without their blessing.

Lol, what silence are you talking about? 1/2 the league was pissed immediately. 1/3 of the school presidents publicly said they didn’t even know there was a vote. Another 1/3 said, “we’ll there was a discussion on pausing but I wouldn’t call it a vote”.

of course warren didn’t make this decision in a vacuum  solo but the clear lack of a process and buy in from the conference of this is appalling. If you’re saying Warren had literally zero responsibility to pool all of the presidents/school leaders together to have an honest discussion and decide this, as a group, then tell me where I can apply to be the next big10 commish cause some of you are convinced it’s nothing more than a puppet position with zero influence yet gets paid millions

where Did that dumb sock poppet that brought us mike Riley ever go to? Let’s get him as commish as some of you seem to convinced that role is nothing more than a fluff job with zero power and clearly zero repercussions from doing a piss poor job 

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Come on you have to think more of me than that?

This report was then sourced and backed up by SI, 247, ESPN, etc. Then McKewon quoted Moos talking about how AD's all voiced support for a season, but Warren didn't share that with the President's and left them out of the discussion.

There's legitimate information out there that he preferred spring and didn't advocate for fall at all.

Well, we can apply Occam's Razor to this and guess if the individual chancellors & presidents talked to their AD's, and then used those conversations to inform their vote. We can also infer those C's & P's talked to lawyers about liability, checked with any other advisors they felt were appropriate, and then made the call. 

I'm sure they discussed it with Warren, but as we know, he's been on this job less than a year, so his word isn't going to hold much weight with the leader of a multi-billion dollar institution. 

If any chancellor or president allowed Kevin Warren to talk them out of the decision they made based on all those conversations, they should be fired. 

We can also apply Occam's Razor to the idea that Warren wouldn't want to cancel football in his first season as Commissioner. That would be a great accusation requiring great proof. Rather, I think he'd have done just about anything he could to pull this off. 

• Plus1 1