***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

42 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

For years I didn't think Republicans were bad people but it's really hard to keep thinking that way. I just don't understand how anyone continues to be willing to associate with the party. This is ridiculous. In Omaha early voting the power went off for an hour and immediately with no fuss they extended the voting hours by 4 hours the following day. But NC is heavy GOP so they have to make a big deal out of it and try to stop it.

I don't think I really count anymore - I'm still registered as a Republican in Nebraska, though my views have become more Independent in the last 14 years. I lean Republican on fiscal policy and taxation more often than not, but I disagree on traditional party views regarding abortion (pro-choice), gun control (I want more), military spending (I think it's too much) the use of religion in public policy to discriminate against groups like transgenders, etc.

I don't think a lot of Republicans are bad people, but many of their 'core' beliefs are seemingly becoming more and more archaic. Many have been so for a long time IMO.

That said, I remember being in the Ozarks in September and hearing a guy at a local breakfast place say that "the Democrats should be labeled as a terrorist organization." The dislike goes both ways with few often willing to concede anything.

• Plus1 4

10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think I really count anymore - I'm still registered as a Republican in Nebraska, though my views have become more Independent in the last 14 years. I lean Republican on fiscal policy and taxation more often than not, but I disagree on traditional party views regarding abortion (pro-choice), gun control (I want more), military spending (I think it's too much) the use of religion in public policy to discriminate against groups like transgenders, etc.

I don't think a lot of Republicans are bad people, but many of their 'core' beliefs are seemingly becoming more and more archaic. Many have been so for a long time IMO.

That said, I remember being in the Ozarks in September and hearing a guy at a local breakfast place say that "the Democrats should be labeled as a terrorist organization." The dislike goes both ways with few often willing to concede anything.

My mom is still a Republican too because she wants to vote in Republican primaries, but she was so disgusted by the Republicans she voted 100% Democrat this election and in 2018.  So I guess I'm thinking less in the registration and more still being on board with it. How can more not be ashamed of what Trump has done and what the GOP on the whole is doing with voter suppression?

FWIW I'm an Independent and always have been. We have way too few parties. Maybe I should join the Green party. That was probably my most important issue until we started flirting with losing our form of government.

I would also argue the dislike from the right is far less logical. I mean, of course I would, but to me the Democrat issues are things like having more freedom to be gay and not get fired for it, and be allowed to get married. It's mostly about inclusivity and stuff that makes it harder to be a total a$$h@!e to people who are different. Then the right has knee jerk reactions and claims that because they can't be a$$h@!es their religious freedom is disappearing. There is of course the abortion issue but in most other issues the Democrats are not doing anything that harms groups of people, and I can't say the same for the GOP. Then there is the raising taxes part, and I can understand if someone on the right disagrees with it on principle thinking it's unfair, but what the Democrats want to do wouldn't affect the majority of people in a negative way.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think a lot of Republicans are bad people, but many of their 'core' beliefs are seemingly becoming more and more archaic. Many have been so far a long time IMO.

I agree with a lot in this post.  I am also registered Republican in Colorado, but have been leaning more and more independent in recent years.  The "core" beliefs becoming more and more archaic is spot on, especially when it comes to LGBTQ, race, and other equality issues.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with a lot in this post.  I am also registered Republican in Colorado, but have been leaning more and more independent in recent years.  The "core" beliefs becoming more and more archaic is spot on, especially when it comes to LGBTQ, race, and other equality issues.

If the Republicans would become less s#!tty to gays and minorities, and try to legalize weed, I feel they'd be unstoppable.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

My mom is still a Republican too because she wants to vote in Republican primaries, but she was so disgusted by the Republicans she voted 100% Democrat this election and in 2018.  So I guess I'm thinking less in the registration and more still being on board with it. How can more not be ashamed of what Trump has done and what the GOP on the whole is doing with voter suppression?

FWIW I'm an Independent and always have been. We have way too few parties. Maybe I should join the Green party. That was probably my most important issue until we started flirting with losing our form of government.

My 11-year old daughter has been very interested in this election and the specifics of the parties and how the election works.  One of her main thoughts is that there aren't enough parties if there are only 2 choices.

• Plus1 2

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

My 11-year old daughter has been very interested in this election and the specifics of the parties and how the election works.  One of her main thoughts is that there aren't enough parties if there are only 2 choices.

It's completely illogical. There are over 300 million of us. And when you find people who are gung ho in support of literally every single party platform/policy and will argue each of them, that's when you know they are brainwashed. There just can't be that many people who agree on that many issues from just 2 parties.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

It's completely illogical. There are over 300 million of us. And when you find people who are gung ho in support of literally every single party platform/policy and will argue each of them, that's when you know they are brainwashed. There just can't be that many people who agree on that many issues from just 2 parties.

A close friend of mine has been posting on social media about people are only voting for Biden, just because they are against Trump.  He will post "Give me a reason you are voting for Biden, without using Trump in your answer".  Well, that's what happens when there are too few quality choices.  Unfortunately voting for one of the other parties, is basically a thrown away vote, and at this point, I am doing what it takes to get Trump out of office.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A close friend of mine has been posting on social media about people are only voting for Biden, just because they are against Trump.  He will post "Give me a reason you are voting for Biden, without using Trump in your answer".  Well, that's what happens when there are too few quality choices.  Unfortunately voting for one of the other parties, is basically a thrown away vote, and at this point, I am doing what it takes to get Trump out of office.

Trump probably is the best reason to vote for Biden, even for some Democrats. The status quo of our government in 2016 wasn't great. For example it's stupid we don't have universal health care. But we are close to total disaster right now. We have to get rid of that before we obsess over the other stuff.

Long term we shouldn't be voting in status quo moderates who aren't doing much to fix things.

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Trump probably is the best reason to vote for Biden, even for some Democrats. The status quo of our government in 2016 wasn't great. For example it's stupid we don't have universal health care. But we are close to total disaster right now. We have to get rid of that before we obsess over the other stuff.

Long term we shouldn't be voting in status quo moderates who aren't doing much to fix things.

Great post.