***** Official Election Game Day Thread *****

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

My mom is still a Republican too because she wants to vote in Republican primaries, but she was so disgusted by the Republicans she voted 100% Democrat this election and in 2018.  So I guess I'm thinking less in the registration and more still being on board with it. How can more not be ashamed of what Trump has done and what the GOP on the whole is doing with voter suppression?

FWIW I'm an Independent and always have been. We have way too few parties. Maybe I should join the Green party. That was probably my most important issue until we started flirting with losing our form of government.

I would also argue the dislike from the right is far less logical. I mean, of course I would, but to me the Democrat issues are things like having more freedom to be gay and not get fired for it, and be allowed to get married. It's mostly about inclusivity and stuff that makes it harder to be a total a$$h@!e to people who are different. Then the right has knee jerk reactions and claims that because they can't be a$$h@!es their religious freedom is disappearing. There is of course the abortion issue but in most other issues the Democrats are not doing anything that harms groups of people, and I can't say the same for the GOP. Then there is the raising taxes part, and I can understand if someone on the right disagrees with it on principle thinking it's unfair, but what the Democrats want to do wouldn't affect the majority of people in a negative way.

You bring up several good discussion points here that I feel like I would take up a lot of lines to respond to them all, so here are just a few:

- I think a lot of Republicans simply don't care about Trump's faults because they align so closely with some of his 'claimed' opinions/beliefs/policies. It's a strange phenomenon, but it's also one I feel is associated with politics more often than not. I don't have a good answer for it, though. People can be blind to things they're passionate about. Is that a flat and unacceptable answer? Probably.

- I agree that the right's dislike is more illogical overall; but, I do think the left has gone too far in creating a caricature of itself at times... behaving and acting in ways that undermine their positions and policies. Republicans are certainly guilty of this too, but I would like to see less of it in the future overall.

- The taxation issue is a tough one to get into but which is why I tend to lean Republican fiscally. My biggest problem with Biden's tax plan is it is almost certainly over-promised (but hey... always ask for more than what you're going to get) but I also have fundamental disagreements with some of the philosophy, as many of our European brethren have found in recent decades that policies targeted at the rich and ultra-rich tend to fall flat on their intended goals and simply don't work. It's not all bad, though. His plan does draw attention to some ongoing disparities with capital and passive incomes.

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It's completely illogical. There are over 300 million of us. And when you find people who are gung ho in support of literally every single party platform/policy and will argue each of them, that's when you know they are brainwashed. There just can't be that many people who agree on that many issues from just 2 parties.

100% agree, but I don't know if a lot of Americans really want it to go away. They say they do, but then many of them make choices that continue to enable the two party system. People are criticized for voting anything third party. We're constantly pigeon-holed into binary decisions by lawmakers and peers. It's a nightmare.

• Plus1 1

My voting situation was perfect - only a few other voters when I was there. In and out in less than ten minutes.

It's not a very busy location, though. Never has been. In fact, I heard the poll workers saying that we were on pace to break the record number of voters they had in the 2016 election. I was voter #157 this morning and apparently the record in 2016 at the location was around 550.

4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

You’re only supposed to vote once

You are in the wrong party then.  :-)  No, I meant that there were 60 votes cast [60 different positions and things to vote for].  Glad you asked a clarifying question.  Ya, only voted ONCE today in several precincts.  I got in a couple of votes in the early voting season and got my mail in ballot sent in a couple of weeks ago.  Glad my folks left me instructions in their will ... voted for them as well.